2024 1st Round Pick (#22): Vance Honeycutt - OF - (Jr) North Carolina (NC)

5 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I'm thrilled to hear that the Orioles were able to sign this guy. I look for Vance to be alot better player than last year's #1 pick.

I assume you're referring to the Orioles' 2023 first round pick.

44 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Glad to have him on. Surprised he got overslot. The same as Benge and more than culpepper. 

gotta start retooling that swing! 

Agree. By all accounts this pick was picked apart by many. Personality feel like he should had gotten under slot. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, LockUpTheGunner said:

I'm thrilled to hear that the Orioles were able to sign this guy. I look for Vance to be alot better player than last year's #1 pick.

That is very debatable. He comes with a lot of issues . When Bradford was taking with the 17th pick everyone was saying he could had went a little bit higher with Honeycutt many  thought it was somewhat of a reach. 

I am sure they know what they need for the others and the extra amount signed for here won't impact that.  In other words, whoever they think they can sign they think it is just as likely with what they have left vs. what they would have left if went slot. 

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

Agree. By all accounts this pick was picked apart by many. Personality feel like he should had gotten under slot. 

I feel better about this pick than the EBJ pick.  EBJ has sort of been a disappointment so far (obviously very early).  Would be nice to see Vance get off to a good start.  Won't be surprised to see him sent to Fla instructional league at end of season-Doesn't it run thru Sept/Oct?

I find it laughable how often the scouting pundits toss out “potential gold glover.”  EBJ, Honeycutt, Overn, Fabian…these pundits realize that there’s a limit to how many gold gloves get awarded each year, right?   

That said, it’s nice to have a bunch of outfielders who can play a solid or better CF and have good speed.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

None of the pundits blasted the Orioles for it from numerous sources that I read.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find it laughable how often the scouting pundits toss out “potential gold glover.”  EBJ, Honeycutt, Overn, Fabian…these pundits realize that there’s a limit to how many gold gloves get awarded each year, right?   

That said, it’s nice to have a bunch of outfielders who can play a solid or better CF and have good speed.   

To give the pundits a little credit I read somewhere Honeycutt, Overn and Bradfield were top 3 last two season in defensive runs saved. 

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Does he start at Delmarva? If the hit tool is as suspect as many have implied, perhaps he spends a bit of time in Sarasota under instruction. This will be an interesting player development plot to follow.

Every top college pick including Bradfield, Fabian, Cowser started full season ball in Delmarva during their draft year and opened in Aberdeen the next season.   His hit tool, IMO, is better than Fabian’s.

• Upvote 1