2024 1st Round Pick (#22): Vance Honeycutt - OF - (Jr) North Carolina (NC)

13 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

To give the pundits a little credit I read somewhere Honeycutt, Overn and Bradfield were top 3 last two season in defensive runs saved. 

I think I saw that too.  However, there are 3 of those guys every year, and they’re not all going to win Gold Gloves.   I’d be thrilled if any of them ever do.   

I never understand why people care so much about the overslot/underslot thing?  Do we dislike the player from day 1 if they signed for overslot?  I'm pretty sure that we've signed 19/20 of our current picks.  I don't really care how they got signed, but if you do, then that's all good.  

I guess it stems from us taking Kjerstad and Cowser higher than expected to save money later in the draft?  

I like Honeycutt.  I think he'll go to Delmarva and tear it up.  Now Aberdeen on the other hand, that's always the test.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I never understand why people care so much about the overslot/underslot thing?  Do we dislike the player from day 1 if they signed for overslot?  I'm pretty sure that we've signed 19/20 of our current picks.  I don't really care how they got signed, but if you do, then that's all good.  

I guess it stems from us taking Kjerstad and Cowser higher than expected to save money later in the draft?  

I like Honeycutt.  I think he'll go to Delmarva and tear it up.  Now Aberdeen on the other hand, that's always the test.  

Paying over slot likely means that you liked the player enough to get them to put a $ figure out there for other teams that dissuades them from being drafted before he gets to you. 

It also means that your number is higher than other teams, which indicates that our evaluation is above other's. In previous regimes, that wouldn't be a good sign. In this one, it might be.

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because under slot signings are what allow you to get high upside picks in later rounds you otherwise couldn’t afford.  Also, perceived safer picks or reaches are more easily understood if they are underslot because the expectation is it allows more aggressive high upside talent later. You may not care how they got signed, but it changes how successful you are signing later picks (last year we couldn’t sign a few of our hs picks because we didn’t have the savings (or the willingness to go into the 5% overage). People are hoping for underslot to try to get all the high upside guys. Once we sign them all, pretty sure everyone here is all for every player getting every dollar available. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Because under slot signings are what allow you to get high upside picks in later rounds you otherwise couldn’t afford.  Also, perceived safer picks or reaches are more easily understood if they are underslot because the expectation is it allows more aggressive high upside talent later. You may not care how they got signed, but it changes how successful you are signing later picks (last year we couldn’t sign a few of our hs picks because we didn’t have the savings (or the willingness to go into the 5% overage). People are hoping for underslot to try to get all the high upside guys. Once we sign them all, pretty sure everyone here is all for every player getting every dollar available. 

Yeah, I understand the logistics of it.  I'm talking about specifically when it comes to the player portion.  Like is Honeycutt a bad dude for wanting more than slot?  His next guaranteed contract could be never, or in 2033/2034.  Everyone has their number.  We chose to draft him.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

This might be true. The third possibility is those kids thought more of their talent than we did, so we decided they weren't worth the numbers they were throwing out. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, I understand the logistics of it.  I'm talking about specifically when it comes to the player portion.  Like is Honeycutt a bad dude for wanting more than slot?  Everyone has their number.  We chose to draft him.  

I highly doubt we weren't familiar with his number before the draft. Not finalizing until the last day could have been for a bunch of reasons. 

Put another way, I'd wager that we had to be familiar with his number in advance. Otherwise, we'd have played hardball on getting him at slot or less, and he'd have likely had to accept it given his less than favorable draft status next year.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, I understand the logistics of it.  I'm talking about specifically when it comes to the player portion.  Like is Honeycutt a bad dude for wanting more than slot?  His next guaranteed contract could be never, or in 2033/2034.  Everyone has their number.  We chose to draft him.  

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. We just wanted him yi be slot or below to try to go get salinas. 

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Does he start at Delmarva? If the hit tool is as suspect as many have implied, perhaps he spends a bit of time in Sarasota under instruction. This will be an interesting player development plot to follow.

All of the college guys should start in Delmarva with the FCL over now. They'll get them ready down in Florida for a few weeks and then I imagine we'll see them.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

All of the college guys should start in Delmarva with the FCL over now. They'll get them ready down in Florida for a few weeks and then I imagine we'll see them.

@Tony-OHthanks for the reply. I've always been interested in what they do in the 2 weeks in FL. Would love to be a fly on that wall.

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

@Tony-OHthanks for the reply. I've always been interested in what they do in the 2 weeks in FL. Would love to be a fly on that wall.

I'm sure there are a lot classes off the field on how to act as a professional ball player on and off the field, media training, and financial advice. On the field they are getting the ones that will go to Delmarva in game shape. I'm sure there are sim games with the FCL players that are sticking around for instructs in the fall.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I highly doubt we weren't familiar with his number before the draft. Not finalizing until the last day could have been for a bunch of reasons. 

Put another way, I'd wager that we had to be familiar with his number in advance. Otherwise, we'd have played hardball on getting him at slot or less, and he'd have likely had to accept it given his less than favorable draft status next year.

Yeah let's screw things up over a few hundred thousand and not sign our top pick.  I began following the Hangout when the O's were unable to sign Loewen the year he was drafted.  I believe he ended up being signed as a draft and follow before next year's draft but still seemed abysmal failure by the O's.  I would love to know if Elias would draft any of the O's top draft picks from what I call the Dark Years, post Frank Wren and pre Dan Duquette GM era.  I would guess maybe Markakis.

I found this interesting snippet of why Wren was fired: Wren's dismissal on October 7, 1999 was the result of a September 17 incident when he ordered the Orioles' chartered jet to take off without Cal Ripken Jr. who had phoned the team earlier to inform them he was going to be a few minutes late because he was stuck in traffic.[  I hope if something like this ever happened with Elias and Gunnar or Adley, Rubenstein would back Elias up.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think some folks are just jealous of what these kids make.

Just like when they side with owners over the players when it comes to FA deals.

Who is he to say no to 3.8M?

10 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Cowser and crew made it to Salisbury 8/17...as bad as the team is I'm hoping they get them there soon. 

13 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah let's screw things up over a few hundred thousand and not sign our top pick.  I began following the Hangout when the O's were unable to sign Loewen the year he was drafted.  I believe he ended up being signed as a draft and follow before next year's draft but still seemed abysmal failure by the O's.  I would love to know if Elias would draft any of the O's top draft picks from what I call the Dark Years, post Frank Wren and pre Dan Duquette GM era.  I would guess maybe Markakis.

I found this interesting snippet of why Wren was fired: Wren's dismissal on October 7, 1999 was the result of a September 17 incident when he ordered the Orioles' chartered jet to take off without Cal Ripken Jr. who had phoned the team earlier to inform them he was going to be a few minutes late because he was stuck in traffic.[  I hope if something like this ever happened with Elias and Gunnar or Adley, Rubenstein would back Elias up.

Are you nuts!!! Dude was a couple of minutes late.  As Jimmy Jones said, if some rando falls asleep at the meeting, you cut him.  If Emmitt Smith falls asleep, you wake him up.  Imagine you worked at a job for 16 years, were late for something, and then your boss left you.  You would be looking to be out the door the next day.