There is no joy in Mudville... for now

Greg Pappas

The final lines in 'Casey at the Bat', by Ernest Lawrence Thayer:

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Casey has struck out.

That is a nod to the vibe permeating the Hangout.  But I truly believe that we are about to see a change very soon.

We are too good to play at this level for this long.  But, when (IMHO), not if, we catch fire, those that have voiced their angst in a loud way (some quite justified) will simmer down and the energy and good vibes will return to the OH.   It's coming... I hope many of you feel as I do.  

Edited by Greg Pappas
Rephrased.
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

The final lines in 'Casey at the Bat', by Ernest Lawrence Thayer:

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Casey has struck out.

That is a nod to the vibe permeating the Hangout.  But I believe, truly, that we are about to see a change very soon.

I honestly believe this.  We are too good to play at this level for this long.  But, when (IMHO), not if, we catch fire, those that have voiced their angst in a loud way (some quite justified) will simmer down and the energy and good vibes will return to the OH.   It's coming... I hope many of you feel as I do.  

I do. ;)

The soul crushing, game changing or near game changing HR's Kimbrel has been serving up are hard to stomach.

It's hard to watch right now, but you gotta have faith that these guys are mature professionals, albeit young.  They are gonna turn it around.  It only takes a win or two... a good swing or two... a couple clutch plays.  We're still in good position despite the poor play.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

That is a nod to the vibe permeating the Hangout.  But I believe, truly, that we are about to see a change very soon.

I honestly believe this.  We are too good to play at this level for this long.  But, when (IMHO), not if, we catch fire, those that have voiced their angst in a loud way (some quite justified) will simmer down and the energy and good vibes will return to the OH.   It's coming... I hope many of you feel as I do.  

Hard to get many vibes from OH members considering half of us can't post due to constant 403 errors.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I think the pitching injuries are finally catching up to us, thinning the margins. And unfortunately, Kimbrel has been quite the poor replacement for Felix. He’s just not what he used to be. 

But, I agree with you overall! Love the Eflin trade. I think we’ll get a closer candidate and the bats will come back around soon. We’re fortunate the Yankees have matched our poor play. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 1

In hindsight Elias should of traded the old outfielders and given the slots to the rookies.  So the rookies could have total freedom to struggle and still get playing time and the vets could go somewhere else to try to make their life changing family wealth which we all know is what they really play for now. 

Instead we got the worse end of the stick.  Kids who have not played enough and vets that played horrible and are pouting about it.  

If we were still scoring 5-6 runs a game and it was JUST the pitching letting us down, that would be one thing.  But with all three facets of the game faltering, hitting, pitching and now defense, it's just a huge kick to the teeth.  Add the frustrations with the OH 403 error/issues, it's a frustrating time to be an Os fan.  I know, I know, first world problems, but still!

5 minutes ago, vab said:

Just get this thing right by October, that's all I'm looking for. 

Yep. They’re not playing like a good team right now but successful seasons can follow many different story arcs. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Yep. They’re not playing like a good team right now but successful seasons can follow many different story arcs. 

Exactly.  The Rangers just last season, and many other Championship seasons throughout sports history have had many ups and downs.

Many of us have trained trauma from many, many years of Orioles things going wrong.

I sympathize with anyone who is gloomy right now. We are so close and then this last month happens. 

Hopefully all will work out!

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 3