The writing was on the wall with trading the Vets.

8 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

I'm going to just throw this out there.  I don't dislike Hyde.  I appreciate what he has done.  I'm not advocating for him to be fired but is this the perfect situation for  Buck Showalter to come back and take over next season if this team continues down this path or has a first round exit from the playoffs?  Bucks a leader.  He holds everyone accountable and is a stickler for fundamentals.  He would command the room and a team of young talented players could potentially use a leader like Buck.  

I know Elias probably wouldn't hire him and would prefer to pick somebody he is familiar with and not hire the last regimes skipper but I can't stop thinking it is what this team might need?  Am I delusional?

Don’t see them hiring someone who left with 115 losses and then he didn’t exactly end his Mets tenure very good either. Buck is probably best suited to stay in the booth. 

I've been the biggest critic of Hyde recently, but he hasn't "lost" the team and isn't getting fired. We don't even know what his contract situation is.. I do think if this team falls out of playoff contention though that certainly needs to be revisited. He's too "player friendly" and needs to do a better job of holding players accountable. There was never a guarantee he would be able to lead this team once the rebuild was done. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out, but I'm all for revisiting his status if the team faceplants.

It’s not Elias’ fault that Hays, Mullins, and Mountcastle, played their way into being platoon players. Now they’re crying that they want to start here or force a trade. 

I’m done with those guys. They need to go. Clubhouse cancers. 

They are grown adults and professional athletes. If they can't handle trade rumors then they need to retire and find something else. 

People keep harping on "vibes" are full of crap and can't admit to themselves that the team has a ton of holes and really isn't that good as some 100 win team and is closer to the mid to high 80s win team that a lot predicted.  People forgot how much they over achieved last year. People also say there isn't a team they think we can't beat in a 5 or 7 game series in the playoffs. Really? What team have you been watching for the last month. 

Edited by Orioles0615

38 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

I'm going to just throw this out there.  I don't dislike Hyde.  I appreciate what he has done.  I'm not advocating for him to be fired but is this the perfect situation for  Buck Showalter to come back and take over next season if this team continues down this path or has a first round exit from the playoffs?  Bucks a leader.  He holds everyone accountable and is a stickler for fundamentals.  He would command the room and a team of young talented players could potentially use a leader like Buck.  

I know Elias probably wouldn't hire him and would prefer to pick somebody he is familiar with and not hire the last regimes skipper but I can't stop thinking it is what this team might need?  Am I delusional?

I appreciate what Buck did for the Orioles, he brought back a sense of pride for one thing...however, Buck redux? No thank you, his teams' reputation for coming up small in the post season, precedes him, plus I don't want to go back to the days of valuing pitching stats above team wins.

9 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I wanted to move them all this last offseason and let the kids have a totally open field to get past their beginning struggles and be ready to go by the end of the season.  Elias decided to go the other way and force the kids to play minimum time and see what the vets had.  The vets collapsed except Santander and the kids still have not had enough time to get totally past their rookie struggles.   Really not the best way to do things with hindsight.  

I was done with Mountcastle and Hays last year.  Thought Mullins might be worth keeping.  I was also done with Santander and thought they should of moved him in the offseason.  I did not expect him to be hitting this much.  I waa expecting a fall back.  I was thinking 17-19 homeruns.  Santander has been quite a surprise. 

It would of let Norby and Kjerstad and Stowers and Mayo play.  I would of ditched Urias and Mateo in the offseason.  I think this would been the proper way to go.  

You can't field a team of all 1 and 2-year players. They would get smoked out there and totally destroy their confidence and impede their progress. You need some veterans for sure. I was never done with Santander. He was productive last year and right now he's the only productive bat. Yes, they should move Mountcastle, but let's face it, they are not going to get a whole lot in return. Mullins is great with the glove, but he is not hitting right now. You may actually get something decent for him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, casadeozo said:

It’s important to remember not only is it a long season but most teams go through these stretches. We were spoiled last year with never really having a losing stretch.

Last year/this year is why you can't waste magical seasons like 2023. That was 1997 and 2014 again, which the Orioles also squandered. Let's hope it doesn't take another decade to have another one.

11 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Last year/this year is why you can't waste magical seasons like 2023. That was 1997 and 2014 again, which the Orioles also squandered. Let's hope it doesn't take another decade to have another one.

It seemed like everything went the O's way last year.  What if the O's had added major pieces last year instead of basically standing pat.  Please don't call Fuji and 2023 Flaherty major moves.

This is a very flawed team, especially the pen. It is further complicated by three big starting pitching injuries, youthful inexperience in abundance and a little bit of trying to fit square pegs into round holes. No team is perfect, not one. Not ever.

We have guys pressing to make up for the warts on this team. We know the recent history of struggles, but it has been all year. Hitters trying to make up for bad pitching, and pitchers trying to throw shutouts because we cannot score, because of pressing and inexperience. We also have guys being celebrated for their first half stardom and perhaps it has gone to their heads a bit. Maybe a bit of selfishness in approaches right now.

This team is a bit divided, absolutely. No, I don’t believe Hyde has lost the team. There has been a major culture shift over the past two years. The old guys are no longer the stars, and they are desperate to hold onto their status. Hays going made this situation better and worse. He asked for a trade, but I know he didn’t want that. He lost his status very quickly, and the competition got to him. Are Ced and Mounty next? IDK, maybe. I do think Urias has to go. Pick up another utility INF, anybody who can also play SS if needed.

The road back is not clear. It starts with guys airing out their grievances to each other. Gunnar’s comments yesterday were thinly veiled about Urias. They need to go into a closed room and be men, not children, about what is happening. They need brutal honest feedback, and they need to be brutally honest with themselves and be humble. It might get worse before it gets better. It is always darkest before the dawn. I believe they will get back to playing good baseball, but to do so they need to come together and be honest and humble.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

These players are human. Just like relievers performing better when they know their defined role. Everything has been up in the air with future playing time all year. 

Hays is gone. Mountcastle and Mullins can go to other teams with defined roles. Urias too, if he’s not ok being a reserve IF.  He’s gone in the offseason anyway.

The guys remaining will now have defined roles. 

Cowser - CF vs RHP

Kjerstad - everyday LF

Pache - CF vs LHP

Stowers - Reserve OF

Mayo - DH, some 1B(Mounty’s role with less 1B)

Holliday - 2B vs RHP

Norby - 2B vs LHP

Now everyone will know their role and a new chemistry can form. 

Pache should never start, he's one of the very worst hitters in baseball. He should strictly be a defensive replacement. He has a .662 OPS against LHP this season. Just because he hits better against them than he does RHP DOES NOT MEAN HE SHOULD START against lefties. Hyde needs to start understanding that concept in general, since he platoons way too much in favor of bad players. 

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm in the minority, but I keep reminding myself that we have 3 injured SP's.  Pitchers that should return, except possibly Means, to our rotation.  I feel like it's a super tricky thing Elias is engaged in here with having a winning team like this and striving to keep it going according to his plan, yet needing to do something important here to give these guys a chance.  I'm more for trading guys that don't likely fit into the next 3-4 years of plans.  I think Santander does, but Mullins and Mounty, if they can be used to bolster the chances of the guys now, they should be traded.  It's hard to say knowing they've contributed to us getting here, but it's a business.  I'd have loved to get a WS with them, but circumstances seem changed.  I guess dealing from 20-50 in the prosepect tree will get us somethings, but we might do a little better by trading Mullins and Mounty.  I just don't want Elias using farm pieces like a credit card either and overspending on it to the detriment of what we might need or be able to do in the next couple of years.

Edited by drjohnnyfever1

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we kind of missed an obvious one here for the most part…

Hays and Mullins each knew that they weren’t getting extended. Mountcastle knows what Mayo is doing in AAA. 

Hyde made the comment after blowing the 6-0 lead in Miami that was the answer to get younger?  So that tells me trading/shopping Hays, Mullins, and Mountcastle, had been talked about. That was Hyde sticking up for his guys he feels. 

Mullins and Mountcastle know that they are lame ducks. We need to just ahead and complete the task of trading them so this team can try and move past whatever is going on in the clubhouse. 

It’s looking like Hyde has lost the team. We all know what that means. 

not getting extended, they would be NON TENDERED AT THE END OF THE YEAR.  Ced is next to be traded imo... watch

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s not Elias’ fault that Hays, Mullins, and Mountcastle, played their way into being platoon players. Now they’re crying that they want to start here or force a trade. 

I’m done with those guys. They need to go. Clubhouse cancers. 

Huh? Who says they're crying or demanding a trade?

• Upvote 1