Gunnar has the yips. Its in his head now.

Gurgi

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

How about the two great plays he made today that most SS wouldn’t have made?

Yeah, cause he didn’t get time  to think about the throw. The yips  are obviously a mental thing. 

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Malike said:

It was nothing, the guy slid into 2nd and Gunnar didn't move and his foot clipped Gunnars and he flopped trying to get the interference call.

I sorta love the flop if that's what it was. Even having a bad defensive week he is still trying to do everything to win. Maybe too much at times but his heart's in the right place and there is no lack of effort.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I sorta love the flop if that's what it was. Even having a bad defensive week he is still trying to do everything to win. Maybe too much at times but his heart's in the right place and there is no lack of effort.

Similar to the White Sox game ending play.  I’m convinced that was on purpose too.  

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

It has gone down TO 4OAA, or FROM 4OAA? I don’t know how often the Savant stats update 

It was over 7 I believe. It's a revolving stat like WAR. Play good D it goes up, play bad D it goes down.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

And it updates game by game? Or do the results lag behind a day or two?

I'm not sure if a one game sample is enough to shift OAA but it had Jackson Holliday at +3 OAA in 10 games.

• Thanks 1

Gunnar is a great, athletic SS. He has a style a bit different from most shortstops and for the most part gets away with it for the most part. He runs into every groundball he gets a chance to. I guess you can say he plays the ball and doesn't let the ball play him. He throws on the run, without setting. Every throw he makes is a rocket. That said, he sometimes doesn't play smart. Eating the ball is not on his plate. His rocket throws are sometimes an adventure for the first baseman. I know the SS is the "Captain" of the infield, but the error given the other day to Urias was a shame. That was an easy play for Urias, straight back, just a few strides. Gunnar comes over waving his arms behind Urias...I don't know if he's calling for it, it didn't appear to on TV, just waving arms. Ramon is not a schmuck at 3B. It was not Gunnar's play, he jumped in. Being "Captain" doesn't mean he makes all the plays.

• Upvote 1

Gunnar will be fine. He just needs to polish the rough edges. He plays full throttle all the time—sometimes right into a wall. That said, he does seem to be a bit of an odd duck. All those griping at obvious strikes for instance. He lives in his own universe.

• Upvote 2

Gunnar does not play good fundamental SS, and therefore he is going to be error prone

He is athletic often fields on the run using only the glove and continues throwing also on the run

He does this on just about every ground ball, rarely getting set in front of the ball, planting his feet and making throw to first

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Did you love that? The replays had the runner at first about 4 steps short of the bag when it happened, I think if Gunnar sidesteps and throws a strike it’s a clean double play.

I do think it was a flop and I don’t think he tries that if he hadn’t had a rough game defensively otherwise. 

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Malike said:

Gunnar needs to stop making every throw on the run. He needs to plant his feet.

I was about to reply to you on the game thread on his D, but I kept getting the 403 notice and just dropped it. I was jokingly was gonna say he had yips, but it's really what you say, just throwing off-balance far too often. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Gunnar does not play good fundamental SS, and therefore he is going to be error prone

He is athletic often fields on the run using only the glove and continues throwing also on the run

He does this on just about every ground ball, rarely getting set in front of the ball, planting his feet and making throw to first

He plays textbook high level defense.  

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

Did you love that? The replays had the runner at first about 4 steps short of the bag when it happened, I think if Gunnar sidesteps and throws a strike it’s a clean double play.

I do think it was a flop and I don’t think he tries that if he hadn’t had a rough game defensively otherwise. 

He had no chance at throwing out the runner at first.