O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

Preller is stupid. I’m amazed he still has a job.

Pretty amazing how fast he re-stocks his system.  He’s an incredible scout & know show to find talent. 

That said - crazy overpay.  But imagine if you asked him he’d say “I’ll go find 3 new guys” 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Go_Os said:

The Padres gave up their 2nd, 3rd and 5th ranked prospects (and another guy) for Tanner Scott who will be a free agent.

They must be all in for this year…. It’s a fleecing despite the fact that I know nothing about Hoenig. 

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not concerned myself about who we gave up. I’m fine with the deal. 

I just wanted more impact. Even if that was a pen arm.  

Everyone wants to see high impact but no one wants to see a Holiday, Basalo or Mayo traded. Even Norby and Stowers people are complaining about giving up. There's no magic in trades, you can't get something without giving up something.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

So they made a major trade without knowing what they were going to do with the result?

Or Hyde hasn’t been informed? Either way, not good.

He isn’t going to come out and say Suarez is being ditched to the pen. 

41 minutes ago, interloper said:

1. Ortiz is a bonafide premium SS. And Hall, who you conveniently left out, was still a big SP prospect at the time of the trade.
2. Burnes only had 1 year of control.
3. Burnes came with a $15 million pricetag.

Not to mention the 34th pick in this year's draft. Possibly the most valuable piece of the deal.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Everyone wants to see high impact but no one wants to see a Holiday, Basalo or Mayo traded. Even Norby and Stowers people are complaining about giving up. There's no magic in trades, you can't get something without giving up something.

Sure. 

I just would like a pen arm.  

25 minutes ago, J.D. said:

You wanna gut the farm system for Tanner Scott? That's what the Padres just did. Spoiler: Norby and Stowers weren't getting it done.

Then you don't make the trade. This isn't rocket science. There comes a point when the cost isn't worth the benefit and the Orioles crossed it giving up 2 solid top 100 MLB ready prospects for a #5 Cole Irvin type pitcher.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think it was an overpay and here is my reasoning.  Chances are Rogers will barely pitch in the playoffs.....assuming we make the playoffs.  Both of those prospects the Os gave up probably won't be stars but they each could be very solid players. 

We do need starters to fill out the rotation for next year as Burnes is probably gone so I get that part of it.  So to me he seems more valuable for the regular season this year and next.  Not the playoffs.

Which goes back to why I think it was an overpay.  If a guy can't help you in the playoffs, which is what the team really needs....then why give up 2 fairly high level prospects for him? 

Seems as if you could sign a guy in the off season with the same ceiling (a 4 or 5) without giving anyone up.  I wouldn't mind giving up a lot for an elite starter that you have control of and that can be a top starter in the playoffs, but I do mind giving up a decent amount for a starter who is just average. 

I really don't get it.  They could have packaged the guys they traded  today and the ones for Efflin along with one of the top 3 guys of JH, CM or SB and gotten a Crochet or a Skubal and I think they would have come out further ahead. 

Norby and Stowers would not have been solid players here. At best Norby could have been a bench player. 

Nobody is signing a starter in the offseason for what we are going to pay for Rogers the next year. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

He isn’t going to come out and say Suarez is being ditched to the pen. 

Why not? It’s no insult to Suarez, and it’s what everyone expects, including Suarez himself. Equivocating on such a simple question just looks bad. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett did that constantly and even though I like neither the Cowboys nor football, it was laughable to watch him dodge even the most simple questions.