O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They must be all in for this year…. It’s a fleecing despite the fact that I know nothing about Hoenig. 

kinda like a right handed version of Rogers very controllable. Dont see this as a complete tear down for the Marlins even though Areaz and Chism dealt. Pretty good starting 5 next year with Max Meyer Luzardo Sandy A  Ecab and Perez due back. Unless they turn Rogers into closer to 2021, we could have done better

31 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Before Spring Training, Ortiz was nothing but what Norby currently is to the Orioles now.

Not really. Ortiz had much higher contact rates, much higher exit velocities, and much more favorable defensive scouting reports.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yeah I thought the Eflin trade was pretty good for the Os considering what we gave up.   But that is nullified by what I consider an overpay for Rogers. 

I mean is Rogers that much better than Eflin that trading for him would demand giving up what I would consider a higher price for him?

It would seem the opposite to me if anything. Eflin seems like the better pitcher by far.

I expect ME disagrees with you about Norby/Stowers being a higher price. They were never going to play here. The other three (or at least two) had a shot.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Sure. 

I just would like a pen arm.  

Thanks. The pen arms will be Suarez and Povich or McDermott. They got the starters to be able to improve the bullpen also.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Why not? It’s no insult to Suarez, and it’s what everyone expects, including Suarez himself. Equivocating on such a simple question just looks bad. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett did that constantly and even though I like neither the Cowboys nor football, it was laughable to watch him dodge even the most simple questions.

It's not what's done man. 

6 minutes ago, Orange said:

Not to mention the 34th pick in this year's draft. Possibly the most valuable piece of the deal.

There's time value of the asset but that part of the deal is a wash given the virtual certainty Burnes becomes a similar pick one year later.

46 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m supposed to make definitive statements without information that is known to me. Otherwise it’s “silly”.

I get it that some people/posters/fans are against criticizing Elias. I am not one of them.

I believe like all people, when he does well he should receive praise and when he doesn’t there are legit critics/criticisms that can be made. 

We could have done something big/bold to meaningfully add to our team’s roster. Instead we chose the route that was risk adverse intended to improve the team marginally.

Nice strawman. Hit him...hit him again!

25 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Rogers’ ERA in his last 9 starts is not supported by any of the peripherals. It doesn’t look like anything more than small sample size noise with a string of better LOB% and HR/FB% fortune. Last 9 starts:

4.23 FIP

4.77 xFIP

4.73 SIERA

7.08 K/9

3.54 BB/9

His velocity has actually continued trending downward as the year progressed too, and has only been 91 mph in his last 3 starts in particular.

I’d love to be able to spin this as buying a guy on the upswing, but I don’t think it is. If you want to take a positive spin on it, the only one that makes sense is that the Orioles have some adjustments in mind - because if he’s just continuing to do what he’s been doing, he just looks like a #5 starter. 

Not gonna lie, that’s disappointing to read.  Hopefully the O’s see something that isn’t apparent to the casual observer.   I voted meh on the trade but if forced to choose between like it and hate it, I’d probably choose the latter.  

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Then you don't make the trade. This isn't rocket science. There comes a point when the cost isn't worth the benefit and the Orioles crossed it giving up 2 solid top 100 MLB ready prospects for a #5 Cole Irvin type pitcher.

Given the injuries we've had and absence of other guys stepping up, we would be walking in to the playoffs with Kremer/Suarez/Povich in line to start games. That's akin to throwing the season away. Rogers at least gives you a chance to be competitive in those games. And it cost you guys who have no place on this team. Would you rather throw the season away than trade two guys who have no value to this team out of principle?

Penny wise, pound foolish.

12 minutes ago, Orange said:

Not to mention the 34th pick in this year's draft. Possibly the most valuable piece of the deal.

But we basic get it back if he doesn't extend here.....I think the pick we would get back is just a couple of spots lower than 34 and this year was considered a weak draft.

4 minutes ago, 1fingerwillie said:

Isn't is 9/2? Math admittedly is not my strong suit.

That's when rosters expand but he's already got 36 AB's this year and the threshold to lose rookie eligibility is 130... So I figure we'll plug him for maybe around 15 or so games? I suppose you could bring him up on 9/2 and only play him sparingly, but I'd prefer to let him have the job and see if he can run with it. I don't think the playoffs count toward the rookie limit, so theoretically you could install Holliday as the starting 2B on September 15th and let him play through the playoffs and then still be a rookie next year. (And win ROY and get us that extra draft pick.)

The other limit is days on the roster, which I think is 45. So, if he was on the roster for 45 days but got less than 130 AB's he'd still lose rookie status. I read somewhere that the count for this number is only April-August and days after the expansion don't count. I didn't confirm that, but it could factor in.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

That's when rosters expand but he's already got 36 AB's this year and the threshold to lose rookie eligibility is 130... So I figure we'll plug him for maybe around 15 or so games? I suppose you could bring him up on 9/2 and only play him sparingly, but I'd prefer to let him have the job and see if he can run with it. I don't think the playoffs count toward the rookie limit, so theoretically you could install Holliday as the starting 2B on September 15th and let him play through the playoffs and then still be a rookie next year. (And win ROY and get us that extra draft pick.)

The other limit is days on the roster, which I think is 45. So, if he was on the roster for 45 days but got less than 130 AB's he'd still lose rookie status. I read somewhere that the count for this number is only April-August and days after the expansion don't count. I didn't confirm that, but it could factor in.

Yeah I think I was looking at the days on the roster. I would bring him up in September and manage his AB's a little. Playoff definitely doesn't count. We could probably bring up Mayo mid-August and also preserve his status.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not gonna lie, that’s disappointing to read.  Hopefully the O’s see something that isn’t apparent to the casual observer.   I voted meh on the trade but if forced to choose between like it and hate it, I’d probably choose the latter.  

I hope so and the Orioles can sprinkle some Austin Voth pitching lab on him. But it also might be as simple as 2.5 years of a 26 year old #5 SP (who used to be throw harder and be much better before a bunch of injuries) is an upgrade on the #5 spot in the rotation (and another controllable SP going forward), and is worth Norby and Stowers and better than the alternatives. 

We may still see Flaherty or Crochet traded right before the deadline, but if not I think Rogers is the best SP to get traded on deadline day? He’s better than Blackburn, at least. A healthy Cobb is better. No other SPs have been traded since Kikuchi was traded for a haul last night, unless I’m mistaken. There simply may not have been better options on the table for the Orioles at this point.