O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

6 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Given the injuries we've had and absence of other guys stepping up, we would be walking in to the playoffs with Kremer/Suarez/Povich in line to start games. That's akin to throwing the season away. Rogers at least gives you a chance to be competitive in those games. And it cost you guys who have no place on this team. Would you rather throw the season away than trade two guys who have no value to this team out of principle?

Not sure how Kremer = “throwing the season away” and Rogers = “chance to be competitive.” 

I think Kremer is flat-out better than Rogers. But even if you don’t feel that way, I’m not sure one could possibly perceive such a substantial difference between the two that Rogers stepping in and Kremer stepping down is a season-saver.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Given the injuries we've had and absence of other guys stepping up, we would be walking in to the playoffs with Kremer/Suarez/Povich in line to start games. That's akin to throwing the season away. Rogers at least gives you a chance to be competitive in those games. And it cost you guys who have no place on this team. Would you rather throw the season away than trade two guys who have no value to this team out of principle?

Penny wise, pound foolish.

How many #4/5 starters do you see in the playoffs? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, e16bball said:

Not sure how Kremer = “throwing the season away” and Rogers = “chance to be competitive.” 

I think Kremer is flat-out better than Rogers. But even if you don’t feel that way, I’m not sure one could possibly perceive such a substantial difference between the two that Rogers stepping in and Kremer stepping down is a season-saver.

Do you remember how Kremer did in the playoffs last year? 1.2 IP/7 H/6 ER/2 HR/1 BB. And it's not like he has the stuff/pedigree to tap into some upside.

Even if you think Kremer is better/more talented than Rogers, if we lose another starter to an injury the way we already have lost multiple so far, you quite literally need another guy (like Rogers) who can start a game to save the season.

How many #4/5 starters do you see in the playoffs? 

The Orioles think he can be better than that. He has pedigree that other starters in our system don't. They made a similar bet with Flaherty last year and were unfortunately a few months too early. Maybe it works immediately this time, but if not and it's delayed, then they have control over him in the future too.

Just now, Alasdaire said:

Do you remember how Kremer did in the playoffs last year? 1.2 IP/7 H/6 ER/2 HR/1 BB. And it's not like he has the stuff/pedigree to tap into some upside.

Even if you think Kremer is better/more talented than Rogers, if we lose another starter to an injury the way we already have lost multiple so far, you quite literally need another guy (like Rogers) who can start a game to save the season.

The Orioles think he can be better than that. He has pedigree that other starters in our system don't. They made a similar bet with Flaherty last year and were unfortunately a few months too early. Maybe it works immediately this time, but if not and it's delayed, then they have control over him in the future too.

To be honest I read your post wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Yankees got Mark Leiter Jr for their No. 22 and 29 prospects.  Does that make this deal better or worse for Rogers?

Leiter Jr. isn't even a starter, and Rogers is better anyway. Doesn't change anything.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Please look for the forest through the trees.  You all are looking at a small sampling of starts this year where he wasn’t good and extrapolating that out over his career.

And again, as I have talked about, there is something weird going on in Miami because all of their statcast numbers are ugly for the starters, even though they weren’t in the past

I’m surprised at the volume of descent so far on this thread. Is it because we didn’t add a #1 ceiling?

Rogers has a higher ceiling and better floor than Kremer and we have a LHP SP for 2 years. Injuries will define this trades value, but it is worth the risk to have two more years of #3 ceiling 

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Bingo. Rogers is about getting you to the playoffs, not pitching in the playoffs (as a starter, at least). 

He could be a good bullpen guy in the playoffs, at a minimum. Rogers innings need to be limited, potentially the rest of this year.

19 hours ago, eddie83 said:

MLBN not high for Orioles. Verducci and O’Dowd saying too much about 25 and not 24.  

Eflin was certainly about 24 and while he's not Skubel, he's a solid #2 or #3 depending on how he's pitching. Obviously we did not get that impact starter (Unless Eflin becomes super motivated on a playoff bound team and pulls a 1987 Doyle Alexander) or reliever unless Domínguez or Soto suddenly get more consistent with a fresh start on a playoff bound team.

But, I believe the team is better than it was before the deadline.

Rogers is better than Suarez, Povich or McDermott as the 5th starter and it allows Suarez to move to relief which is like adding another solid bullpen arm.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Eflin was certainly about 24 and while he's not Skubel, he's a solid #2 or #3 depending on how he's pitching. Obviously we did not get that impact starter (Unless Eflin becomes super motivated on a playoff bound team and pulls a 1987 Doyle Alexander) or reliever unless Domínguez or Soto suddenly get more consistent with a fresh start on a playoff bound team.

But, I believe the team is better than it was before the deadline.

Rogers is better than Suarez, Povich or McDermott as the 5th starter and it allows Suarez to move to relief which is like adding another solid bullpen arm.

Agreed.  Rogers with his increased Sinker usage should benefit from our Infield defense.  Also, the big LF and Wall.  Who knows, if we tinker with his pitch usage with our pitching lab.