Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

As Eloy keeps up the Tim Beckham act, the 2025 option does have a couple perks.

-Exercising 2025, you also get 2026 in case he is fixed.

-if he is fixed, he might be a QO like Santander after 2026.

The options Elias has negotiated have had such small buyouts they have been easy, but Eloy's is a bit more substantial.    He's already guaranteed 1/3, so the 16.5 total is just a marginal expenditure of 13.5.

JD Martinez this past winter had to wait a long time but still managed a paper 1/12 in the end, though I am learning today it has some good Bobby Bonilla stuff* in it as owners play Global Thermonuclear Finance with even mid-level contracts.

*Cot's lists the last payout in 2038 when J.D. will be 50.    I am not sure if at today's interest rates I could finance that with a $500 CD down at the credit union, but I trust Steve Cohen has it covered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love what he's doing and I was a fan of the trade when it happened. 

That said, he's still hitting the ball on the ground pretty much every single time, though he's hitting them hard and he's hitting it the other way. So I hesitate to say we've fixed anything, but I'll take what he's doing now for as long as he can keep it up.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, interloper said:

Love what he's doing and I was a fan of the trade when it happened. 

That said, he's still hitting the ball on the ground pretty much every single time, though he's hitting them hard and he's hitting it the other way. So I hesitate to say we've fixed anything, but I'll take what he's doing now for as long as he can keep it up.

Yeah it feels really unsustainable.  Honestly, it’s weird for a guy known for his power to not be able to lift the ball.  Maybe it’s intentional but it doesn’t look that way.  

14 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Yeah it feels really unsustainable.  Honestly, it’s weird for a guy known for his power to not be able to lift the ball.  Maybe it’s intentional but it doesn’t look that way.  

It seems to me that a tweet in his swing mechanics should solve that. He must know he's not lifting the ball. I can't imagine they haven't looked at film and found the likely cause. Now fixing it in the middle of the season would be tough, but he's a professional hitter with elite bat to ball skills. Let's hope the film guys, the analytic guys and the hitting coaches are working overtime to get him right. It's distinctly possible he's a swing adjustment or two away from breaking out. Wouldn't that be nice!

I can’t see that option even being considered unless Eloy goes on a power surge.   When those grounders start finding fielders with men on base posters will start cursing out the new DP rally killer.   He has no defensive value.  He’s always hurt.  He hits the ball hard but not in the air.   Elias isn’t picking up that option.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to suggest that anything is fixed but it is an interesting note that Hyde and Cossins have had a looooong relationship with Eloy that go back to their days in the Cubs org. Sometimes (and I realize that we're not even two weeks into his Orioles tenure) a change of scenery is what is necessary. The White Sox org has been a dumpster fire for years now. It's not hard to imagine that their guys have been miserable, lacked motivation, etc. etc. Does that mean good things for the player's character is they were packing in it and neglecting their duties as a professional? Probably not but I am currently dealing with my own work stuff and even though I am still doing what is expected of me at full capacity, I'm not doing anything more than that and feel absolutely zero motivation to "go above and beyond" for a company that I am at odds with right now. So, I can sympathize with the idea that perhaps he was just unhappy in Chicago. I think that'd be somewhat reasonable. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2024 at 1:38 PM, maybenxtyr said:

I was a big fan of Stowers, and I wanted Norby up getting the majority of starts at 2B, so I get where you're coming from. Both players have power potential but they both have a lot of swing and miss in their game. 

I didn't like the trade at the time but I've come around on it. There's no way of knowing how long this window will be open with the current group of players, but having at least 4 of the rotation spots accounted for moving forward has some value. 

Seriously 4?. And whom may that be.?If they lose Burns  the only ones I  see that makes me feels half way comfortable when they take the mound are  GRod and Eflin and even they are more like 3' then a 1 or 2.

2 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Seriously 4?. And whom may that be.?If they lose Burns  the only ones I  see that makes me feels half way comfortable when they take the mound are  GRod and Eflin and even they are more like 3' then a 1 or 2.

I don't know if they're going to be able to get Kremer right but I am encouraged by Rogers so far.

His first outing was an obvious dud but he threw much better in his start against the Jays. Kirk's 1st inning infield single to third lead to a run but Rogers executed a good pitch. The defense just wasn't able to make the play. He should have gotten out of the first without giving up that run. The run in the second was scored by the defense again letting him down. Jimenez doubled then Serven reached on an infield single to second, which would have been a spectacular play but was a play that could have been made to at least keep Jimenez from scoring from 2nd. Mayo's error lead to the other run.

Having a lefty starter in the East and for the playoffs is pretty important. He's spoken about how much data is available to him with the Orioles (made a comment something to the effect of in only a week he had been given more data than he received during his entire tenure with the Marlins) which is something that I am hopeful about with him going forward. The more information that these guys have the better game planning and in-game strategy should yield better results. It's going to come down to his ability to execute his pitches.

Going into next year they're penciling in GrayRod, Efflin, Rogers and Kremer as starters with Bradish and Means likely not pitching at all or not before the second half. I would guess Wells will work out of the pen but perhaps they like him as a starter again. I'm hoping that they will at least attempt to retain Burnes. He's been the best starter that they've had since at least that really strong season by Berdard before they moved him but maybe even since Mussina's last year. He's a legit TOR guy who they don't have if he leaves in FA. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I can’t see that option even being considered unless Eloy goes on a power surge.   When those grounders start finding fielders with men on base posters will start cursing out the new DP rally killer.   He has no defensive value.  He’s always hurt.  He hits the ball hard but not in the air.   Elias isn’t picking up that option.

Yeah, this is where I've arrived too; altho, I did have him maybe as a Santander replacement.  But now I think it's a lot of money to commit to with somebody who has seemed sort of broken until this recent surge.  My initial replacement thought was based merely on his name, but his performance over 2 years, even if manages to go on a tear, doesn't meet the pay requirement.  I think they try to work something out with Tony Taters and let this Eloy help us all he can for now, but at the end of the season he gets his parting gifts and go to rebuild his career on another team at a much lower pay rate.

Hard contact, a lot of line drives and groundballs finding holes. Don’t think the last part is sustainable, but it’s fun and he’s having fun. And to be frank, who’s a better option at this point? The Westy injury really put things in a weird place. 

I’m thinking the Eloy honeymoon is about over.  .125/.125/.218 over his last 24 PA.   He’s also one of the slowest runners I’ve ever seen.  25.0 ft/sec sprint speed, 501st of 527 major leaguers.   He had a grounder up the middle today that would have been an infield hit for 90% of all players, but not for Eloy.  Pair that with his ground ball tendencies and it’s a pretty brutal combination.  He seems like a really likable guy and a good teammate, but if he can’t pick it up with the bat soon, I’d just drop him.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1