Did the O's have the best deadline of any buyer? (All buyers and their acquisitions)

interloper

11 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

NYY get the most dynamic hitter.  and fielder and baserunner. The O's should have outbid the Yankees because 1} We don't have a CF'er for the future and 2) keep him from the Yankees putting them over the top for winning the division.

He can also plug in anywhere in the IF. Extremely valuable player that the Yankees got on the cheap,

For sure.  Jazz adds a lot.

Opportunity cost of SP vs. pushing Holliday/Mayo down the org chart?  Seems like a goal was to reallocate away from MI types (buy the arms).  Hindsight being what it is, Jazz would scratch a big itch right now!

It would have probably taken Norby/Stowers and more (like a Sosa/Liranzo) to get him.  Agustin Ramirez looks like a hitter but my guess is not a quality C.  

7 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I don't usually watch whatever the betting show is after the post-game show on MASN, but I happened to leave it on a little longer yesterday while straightening the office.  The two guys there were not really impressed with our work at the deadline.  And they also commented about other odds guys being equally unimpressed and some being down on the O's as a result.  I get the betting conversations are a little different, but it is interesting to hear their takes.

I think we did well, but the guys we got need to perform closer to the best they've done in the past rather than the meh they sort of are for this to work out.  I'm hopeful, however; we got what we needed position wise.

Is it the difference between a portfolio manager and a gambler mindset?

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do the Orioles even exist?  Did they make any moves at the deadline?   You wouldn’t know from this article: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-mlb-trade-deadline-winners-and-losers/

Wild. Eflin was pretty much the biggest SP name traded at the deadline other than Flaherty. 

I think what I like about our deadline - with the caveat that it's very early - is the underrated pickups of Dominguez and Soto. Other than Scott, they might have the best stuff of any relievers traded this year. Estevez was a good pickup for the Phillies, too - someone that I personally wanted. 

Edited by interloper

19 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I think they plugged the most holes, but went quantity over quality...and to be honest, I think it was the best plan without sacrificing the future since guys like Skubal and Crochet were going to have to be otherworldly overpays because the Tigers/Sox didn't have to trade them and Crochet hamstrung the White Sox with his extension demands and innings limit issues. 

I think that would have been overpays because the Tigers needed to justify a move to their fanbase. If they got a huge name like Holliday to headline the package or got Mayo and Basallo they could sell it easier. Getting Basallo, EBJ, Povich, and a lower level prospect or 2 is likely a harder trade to stomach. If the Orioles had Burnes signed to Skubal extension at Skubal's age and wanted to deal him during a Cy Young season, would you like the last deal I mentioned? I think the best trades in baseball make both sides uncomfortable.

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Is it the difference between a portfolio manager and a gambler mindset?

It sounded like both, to be honest.  They were unimpressed by the players added and commented that over the past 6 weeks the Orioles had been a difficult play anyway.  I think figuring out all the "new" portfolio is a "concern" for them too, at least in the now timeframe.  They were also talking about WS odds and seemed to think we were unchanged or maybe a bit to the negative because we didn't make a top-tier, team altering acquisition.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Wild. Eflin was pretty much the biggest SP name traded at the deadline other than Flaherty. 

I think what I like about our deadline - with the caveat that it's very early - is the underrated pickups of Dominguez and Soto. Other than Scott, they might have the best stuff of any relievers traded this year. Estevez was a good pickup for the Phillies, too - someone that I personally wanted. 

Fedde was a bigger name than Eflin as far as performance goes. I think trying to grade trades of veterans for prospects is kind of foolish this early. In 18 months compare how the prospect is performing (and their cost) verses how the veteran is performing (and their total cost). I was watching the MLB Network the day after the trade deadline and they said:

From 2013-2023 633 Prospects were traded at the deadline

23 became impact players (3.6%) and 74 prospects became impact players or contributors (11.7%). If we are looking at a decades worth of data and approximately 88% of traded prospects are not even contributors over that span then the risk of dealing the next Alex Rodriguez is relatively low. But outside of that, I would bet that many of the contributors that were traded were at a lower level and a much younger age. By the time a guy gets to AAA and is at a more advanced age, like Norby at 24, a GM likely has a much better idea of what type of player they are going to be in the majors. The Orioles had a solid trade deadline given the high price of pitching. With that said, the team is not better now than it started the season. What this team needed was stabilization and hopefully they got it because the Dodgers, Padres, Phillies, Yankees, Astros, Mariners, Royals, and Guardians all got better this year. For the future, the Marlins, White Sox, and Blue Jays got better. If I had to point a finger at where we could have done better, my answer would be Erick Fedde. I think using Norby plus in that deal could have netted us a better starter to pair with Efflin. The Royals, Padres, and Dodgers all had really good trade deadlines on paper.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GoldGlove21 said:

With that said, the team is not better now than it started the season

I don't know how there's any way you can say that. They started the season without Bradish and Means, too. They started the season without high-stuff strikeout bullpen guys. 

• Upvote 1

By ZiPS, the Orioles had by far the best deadline. This is pre-Westburg injury, but they have the highest WS win odds of any team by a solid margin (and shouldn’t be hurt too much by Westburg injury, if he’s back in time for the playoffs)

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/zipsing-up-the-trade-deadline/

With players like Tarik Skubal, Garrett Crochet, Luis Robert Jr., and Blake Snell staying put, there weren’t many impact trades, but it was still a busy deadline. On the whole, ZiPS found this deadline to be considerably more consequential than last year’s. In 2023, ZiPS only projected three teams as having moved their playoff probability by at least five percentage points, while this year, there were eight. In fact, two of the changes were the largest percentage-point shifts that ZiPS has seen as long as I’ve been doing this, one positive (Baltimore), one negative (Tampa Bay).

In terms of wins added, ZiPS sees the Orioles and Dodgers as the big winners, though you see the change more in their championship probability rather than the playoff numbers, given that both teams were already overwhelmingly likely to make the postseason. ZiPS was really worried about the back of Baltimore’s rotation come playoff time, and as a result, adding Zach Eflin was a big Eflin deal, so much so that the O’s got a larger World Series boost than any other team at the deadline, and they did it without trading away any of their best talent. Also helpful was the trade with the Phillies; while Austin Hays has value, he didn’t have much value to the Orioles given their roster, making Seranthony Domínguez and Cristian Pache, for all intents and purposes, free additions. ZiPS also still likes Trevor Rogers, as it doesn’t take my constant disappointment that he’s not a triplet with Taylor and Tyler into account.

I can't believe some of you guys are thinking that Jazz Chisholm is something to be wary of.  Dude is way more flash than production.  As mentioned, .247 lifetime hitter with a .310 career OBP.  Maybe gets better cause of the Yankees mystique and who he's around in the batting order but he's not, IMO, a game changer.

6 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I dunno...he's a .247 lifetime hitter with a .310 OBP.   Maybe the "Yankees sauce" rubs off on him...but I just don't know at this point.

Mickey Rivers comp?

12 minutes ago, now said:

Mickey Rivers comp?

Maybe.   Chisolm has more power.   Will be interesting to see how he develops with the Yankees.   Playing in that park should definitely help him with home runs.   

7 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I dunno...he's a .247 lifetime hitter with a .310 OBP.   Maybe the "Yankees sauce" rubs off on him...but I just don't know at this point.

Yeah I don't get the fascination with Jazz Chisolm. He's had a good start with the Yankees but he's one of the most overrated players in the league.

6 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Fedde was a bigger name than Eflin as far as performance goes. I think trying to grade trades of veterans for prospects is kind of foolish this early. In 18 months compare how the prospect is performing (and their cost) verses how the veteran is performing (and their total cost). I was watching the MLB Network the day after the trade deadline and they said:

From 2013-2023 633 Prospects were traded at the deadline

23 became impact players (3.6%) and 74 prospects became impact players or contributors (11.7%). If we are looking at a decades worth of data and approximately 88% of traded prospects are not even contributors over that span then the risk of dealing the next Alex Rodriguez is relatively low. But outside of that, I would bet that many of the contributors that were traded were at a lower level and a much younger age. By the time a guy gets to AAA and is at a more advanced age, like Norby at 24, a GM likely has a much better idea of what type of player they are going to be in the majors. The Orioles had a solid trade deadline given the high price of pitching. With that said, the team is not better now than it started the season. What this team needed was stabilization and hopefully they got it because the Dodgers, Padres, Phillies, Yankees, Astros, Mariners, Royals, and Guardians all got better this year. For the future, the Marlins, White Sox, and Blue Jays got better. If I had to point a finger at where we could have done better, my answer would be Erick Fedde. I think using Norby plus in that deal could have netted us a better starter to pair with Efflin. The Royals, Padres, and Dodgers all had really good trade deadlines on paper.

This is probably true but I don't think it's really fair. They lost Bautista, Means, Bradish and Wells.  They were never going to get better than that at the deadline. What they did was most likely/hopefully get better than what they've been sending out there in their place.