Division rivals and HBP

coe76

Not to be a conspiracy person but it certainly seems interesting that both the Yankees and Blue Jays have hit a high number of O’s hitters.  Broken nose and broken hand just this week.  Plus McCann got buzzed at least 4 more times in later ABs.  Just wondering what everyone thinks.  

That's what I think.

It's nonsense.

If you are going to throw at anyone on the Orioles why would you pick McCann?

The Yankees led the league in hit batters when the Orioles faced them.

Do you think the two teams got together and came up with this plan of action?  Did the Rays back out?

I was simply saying it was interesting that our two rivals seem to have a habit of drilling our hitters.  Their pitchers lack of control is not a compliment to their pitching coaches and our team seems to suffer accordingly more than others.  That was my point, maybe not worded as effectively as I could have.

My feeling is that when a bad pitcher with bad command is having a bad day and throwing too many pitches in an inning, the odds of an HBP go way up.  There was no intent in either of the cases in this series.  Just very poor pitching.    

The Yankees do lead the majors in hitting opposing batters, almost 50% above the league average.  So, there’s food for thought there.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's what I think.

It's nonsense.

If you are going to throw at anyone on the Orioles why would you pick McCann?

The Yankees led the league in hit batters when the Orioles faced them.

Do you think the two teams got together and came up with this plan of action?  Did the Rays back out?

They’re not “throwing at them” to hit them but they’re making a consistent effort to pitch inside. Maybe the old school guys had it right, they’ve hit so many guys that they’ve lost their privelage to pitch inside. 

We’re not even talking about getting hit in the legs. These are head shots to Kjerstad and McCann.

It is wild to think that we allowed McCann to be pitched inside again in this series. I’m sorry, I’m not for this usually, but after McCann almost got hit twice, and Westburg left, we should’ve drilled Vlad in the backside. 

If Vlad is still a Blue Jay next season then that needs to happen. Sign Amir Garrett to be our 3rd lefty out of ST. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They’re not “throwing at them” to hit them but they’re making a consistent effort to pitch inside. Maybe the old school guys had it right, they’ve hit so many guys that they’ve lost their privelage to pitch inside. 

We’re not even talking about getting hit in the legs. These are head shots to Kjerstad and McCann.

It is wild to think that we allowed McCann to be pitched inside again in this series. I’m sorry, I’m not for this usually, but after McCann almost got hit twice, and Westburg left, we should’ve drilled Vlad in the backside. 

If Vlad is still a Blue Jay next season then that needs to happen. Sign Amir Garrett to be our 3rd lefty out of ST. 

He still should be a Blue Jay when we play them in 4 days. Lets just kill em with kindness and blast their ass on the field.

11 hours ago, coe76 said:

I was simply saying it was interesting that our two rivals seem to have a habit of drilling our hitters.  Their pitchers lack of control is not a compliment to their pitching coaches and our team seems to suffer accordingly more than others.  That was my point, maybe not worded as effectively as I could have.

But if you don't think it's intentional, then it's really not interesting is it? It's just one of those things.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

My feeling is that when a bad pitcher with bad command is having a bad day and throwing too many pitches in an inning, the odds of an HBP go way up.  There was no intent in either of the cases in this series.  Just very poor pitching.    

The Yankees do lead the majors in hitting opposing batters, almost 50% above the league average.  So, there’s food for thought there.

I do believe that after Judge took that one on his hand an Orioles was plunked on purpose. I do not believe multiple Orioles were hit on purpose. I think these big guys who extend their arms and blast baseball's need to be pitched inside and up and something that leads to getting beaned.

I personally find some of the HBP by Yankee pitchers to be suspicious, but I don't think anything was intentional directed at McCann.  Look how close he is to the plate in his stance, and the fact that he also dives in towards the plate with the pitch.  This is why he gets hit.

Re: McCann, the guy was throwing his 45th pitch of the inning or something like that. The Jays had no real option but to try and get through that inning in a double-header. But you could see it coming. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, coe76 said:

Not to be a conspiracy person but it certainly seems interesting that both the Yankees and Blue Jays have hit a high number of O’s hitters.  Broken nose and broken hand just this week.  Plus McCann got buzzed at least 4 more times in later ABs.  Just wondering what everyone thinks.  

What I think is that we live in a weak era in general, and that parlays into sports. So the players can't police the game like they used to. A pitch two inches inside and a guy acts like someone committed a felony against him.