I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I like Urias. He’s a good player but he’s not an everyday player. 

So the question I have is simple…who is the back up third baseman?  Is it Soto?  He has played 1 game at third in his ML career. He hasn’t played many games at all, so that may not be a sample that matters.  He is only listed as a SS.

Soto is a lefty too, so are we sitting Urias vs righties, despite that being his strength?  What exactly is the plan here?

Urias can start everyday or close to it for two weeks until Mayo comes up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I like Urias. He’s a good player but he’s not an everyday player. 

So the question I have is simple…who is the back up third baseman?  Is it Soto?  He has played 1 game at third in his ML career. He hasn’t played many games at all, so that may not be a sample that matters.  He is only listed as a SS.

Soto is a lefty too, so are we sitting Urias vs righties, despite that being his strength?  What exactly is the plan here?

It's Soto! It has to be unless they're ballsy enough to put Gunnar there on occasion.

I think what's being ignored here is that I'm sure the FO is more worried about Mayo working on his defense at AAA than they are his rookie status. If it were the latter case it wouldn't explain why they called up Holliday, or many of the decisions they've made in the past re call-ups (Cowser, Westburg, Henderson, Kjerstad included). 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Urias can start everyday or close to it for two weeks until Mayo comes up.

It’s not 2 weeks. People keep saying 2 weeks. If the goal is to “preserve rookie status”, he needs to be down 4 more weeks, give or take a day or so.

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It's Soto! It has to be unless they're ballsy enough to put Gunnar there on occasion.

That’s what I’m wondering, especially with all the issues at SS. Would they give Gunnar some time at third and play Soto or Holliday at SS?

But that also doesn’t make sense because you would figure you do that vs a lefty and I doubt they put both of them in the lineup vs a lefty unless there is an emergency.

This decision is just so dumb.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not 2 weeks. People keep saying 2 weeks. If the goal is to “preserve rookie status”, he needs to be down 4 more weeks, give or take a day or so.

Pretty sure it's about August 17. Has to be < 45 days. September 1 would be when rosters expand. 

• Upvote 1

Ramon Urias in July:

54 PA, .341 avg, .463 OBP, .477 SLG, .940 OPS

On the season he has a 105 OPS+. To compare that to someone who plays in a hitter's park, that's the same as Yankees' 1B Ben Rice, who is batting .300 and has a .746 OPS.

• Upvote 1

He'll be up when it's his time, as with all of the prospects.  I'd be a little concerned if I were Coby, tho, that his friend is letting his private feelings be known on a public message board.  I love your passion, Roy, and respect your take on things, but if I were Coby I might think about talking so candidly the next time I called...

10 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I think what's being ignored here is that I'm sure the FO is more worried about Mayo working on his defense at AAA than they are his rookie status. If it were the latter case it wouldn't explain why they called up Holliday, or many of the decisions they've made in the past re call-ups (Cowser, Westburg, Henderson, Kjerstad included). 

This is a good point. Gunnar was 100% held to retain his ROY possibility though and it worked. The others, including Adley too, all had a chance to earn a spot without taking the PPI into much consideration. Adley finished top 2 in spite of his midseason call up, which actually hurt us but I don’t think having a player finish top 2 in ROY voting is ever a bad thing lol

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Pretty sure it's about August 17. Has to be < 45 days. September 1 would be when rosters expand. 

Or 130 at bats. 

Gunnar came up on 8/31 and had 116 at bats.  The Os played that season into October and this year it ends Sept 29th. 4 weeks from today is Aug 29. So, he realistically can come up around the 25th.

4 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

He'll be up when it's his time, as with all of the prospects.  I'd be a little concerned if I were Coby, tho, that his friend is letting his private feelings be known on a public message board.  I love your passion, Roy, and respect your take on things, but if I were Coby I might think about talking so candidly the next time I called...

I don’t think Roy said anything with any inside info. It’s just him talking 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Or 130 at bats. 

Gunnar came up on 8/31 and had 116 at bats.  The Os played that season into October and this year it ends Sept 29th. 4 weeks from today is Aug 29. So, he realistically can come up around the 25th.

LOL.  Pretty sure if this was all about ROY they could call him up on August 17 and manipulate his playing time enough to keep him under 130 AB.

I'm sure Mayo and his agent are rolling their eyes at the Soto call up like many fans. But ya know... who cares? If they should be annoyed at anyone it's Gunnar Henderson for forcing Elias to make the defense-first roster decision. Because that's exactly why Mayo is not getting the call right now. They simply cannot afford to further weaken the left side infield defense.

Edited by interloper

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Or 130 at bats. 

They can easily control his ABs.