Burch Smith 2024

Big Mac

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Milb shows him being optioned in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2019. not sure why he was able to be optione 4 times, if that is correct. also since 2019 hes been DFA 4 or 5 times. I think thats why they optioned Akin on Aug 1

49 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Milb shows him being optioned in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2019. not sure why he was able to be optione 4 times, if that is correct. also since 2019 hes been DFA 4 or 5 times. I think thats why they optioned Akin on Aug 1

If he is out of options, that is a tougher call. Still, I would think he will pass through waivers as a 34 year old who has given up runs in 5 of 7 appearances and has never been able to get lefties out.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

If he is out of options, that is a tougher call. Still, I would think he will pass through waivers as a 34 year old who has given up runs in 5 of 7 appearances and has never been able to get lefties out.

Absolutely he might clear waivers, Irvin did, signed a Minor League and is Starter this afternoon. When Akin comes back from Paternity leave, depending on how Tate pitches, He could be the next roster move. And could very well wind up back in the Org.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Probably just tired.  We've been riding him hard.  

Before Hyde used him on back to back games (Aug 15 and 16th) Burch had not pitched with less than 1 game rest, typically more, this season. 

Hyde then ran him out three days straight. Since he was used on back to back games, Burch has allowed runs in each appearance. 

image.thumb.png.a96b827098a7a8a7600abd5c14feb6af.png

Hyde has pitched him 4 times in the last 6 days.

Let's just say there are rented mules in Mexico worked less.

This is why the bullpen needs a guy that can go 2-3 innings when needed to protect the bullpen.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Before Hyde used him on back to back games (Aug 15 and 16th) Burch had not pitched with less than 1 game rest, typically more, this season. 

Hyde then ran him out three days straight. Since he was used on back to back games, Burch has allowed runs in each appearance. 

I believe one of those games was just 2 pitches though still not ideal to go 3 straight days but he hasnt thrown a ton of pitches it that span either and was on 5 days rest before they pitched him 3 days straight.  

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is why the bullpen needs a guy that can go 2-3 innings when needed to protect the bullpen.

The three straight was a bit of a surprise (has Hyde ever done that before?). However, he threw only 3 pitches in the first of those appearances, so I suppose the Sigbot algorithm said he was still available. He had plenty of rest before and after that stretch. 

18 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

I believe one of those games was just 2 pitches though still not ideal to go 3 straight days but he hasnt thrown a ton of pitches it that span either and was on 5 days rest before they pitched him 3 days straight.  

He still had to warm up. Remember, regardless of how many pitches a pitcher throws in a game, getting him up and throwing takes a toll.