The Guardians Series, 8/1-8/4

Just Regular

Trusting/guessing Trevor Rogers will make his Orioles debut tonight, looks like the pitching matchups will be:

(126) Rogers v. (73) Lively

(80) Kremer v. (87) Carrasco

(43) Eflin v. (20) Bibee

(36) Burnes v. (51) Williams

Parentheses are the pitchers K-BB standing today among MLB's ~140 active roster pitchers with 20 IP as a SP this season.     While Rogers' ERA results have been decent, I admit I hadn't realized this particular peripheral was that close to the bottom.    

The Guardians famously make a lot of contact, and our defense has been off lately.     Rogers is a low strikeout pitcher - defense should get a lot of action tonight.

Gavin Williams only a guess for Cleveland Sunday - ESPN has it TBD.     Cleveland SP5 kind of in a holding pattern for Alex Cobb readiness.

Lane Thomas their other big get.     They did not do much churning or freshening their reliever mix, and looks like they will be counting on their stable of excellent ones to keep it up all season long.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Won't lie - despite overall being fine with the trade, I'm a little worried about tonight's game. 

As a team, Cleveland has hit lefties a bit better than righties (.693 OPS vs RH, .748 vs LH).   Add the pickup of Thomas, a RH hitter who has always hit lefties very well.   So yeah, I do think Rogers is a bit vulnerable, in addition to the basic fact that he is probably the weakest starter we are throwing out there in the first place.

Lively, Bibee, and Williams have pitched well in last couple times out. Carrasco has been rocked.  All RHPs, so will we see Kjerstad?  Need to do some damage against the SPs, since CLE may have best back end bullpen in the game with Clase and Cade Smith. 

27 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Lively, Bibee, and Williams have pitched well in last couple times out. Carrasco has been rocked.  All RHPs, so will we see Kjerstad?  Need to do some damage against the SPs, since CLE may have best back end bullpen in the game with Clase and Cade Smith. 

Hard to see Kjerstad staying on the roster.   Who else goes to make room for Eloy Jiminez and [possibly] Austin Slater?

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

I wonder what the delay in announcing a starter means if anything.

I there a MLB deadline for announcing your starting pitcher?

The way the "announcement" is usually made is that when the manager gets to the ballpark in the early afternoon (for a night game), he tells reporters like Roch.   I don't think there is typically a press release or anything like that, and I don't think there is any official process of registering it with the league office.   I'm not sure when it is required that the other team be informed, obviously must be with enough time to let them make alineup.

So if Hyde didn't announce it in his post game press conference, we weren't going to find out until early this afternoon, probably very soon.  Regardless of whether the decision was made yesterday, last night, or this morning.

The question is why didn't he announce it last night?   Did Rogers come to Baltimore, and then fly with the team to Cleveland?   Or did they just tell him to meet them in Cleveland?   So maybe he didn't want to announce him until he had at least met him face to face or was sure he had made it to Cleveland?

49 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The way the "announcement" is usually made is that when the manager gets to the ballpark in the early afternoon (for a night game), he tells reporters like Roch.   I don't think there is typically a press release or anything like that, and I don't think there is any official process of registering it with the league office.   I'm not sure when it is required that the other team be informed, obviously must be with enough time to let them make alineup.

This page on the MLB site seems to indicate that there is something official that is registered with the league:

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/probable-pitchers