Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

You are entitled to your an opinion but Gregory Soto does not look like a bum to me.  Just a guy that needed his mechanics fixed.   Now he is string scoreless innings together.

Yeah, this is sort of what I see. He’s not a true relief ace or anything, but he’s pretty good for the most part. Not a bum.

He’s given up 24 ERs this season. Almost half of those (11) came in a one-week span from 7/29 to 8/6, which also encompassed the trade. He had a 29.45 ERA over those 6 appearances. 2 of his 3 HRs allowed are during that week, as are (oddly enough) both of his SBs allowed.

Outside of that one horrific week, it’s a 2.68 ERA for the season. Sure, everybody looks better if you take out their worst week — but that’s pretty good performance over the other 95% of the season.

1 hour ago, terpoh said:

Soto is not a "bum" and how about we let the trades play out a bit. What if Norby/Stowers/Johnson/Chace turn out to be nothing and Soto helps us down the stretch and in the playoffs, and Rogers bounces back to be a solid #4 next year?

A reliever with a career ERA over 4 is a bum. 

On 9/5/2024 at 11:43 PM, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

If all Rogers is is a second Cole Irvin and depth piece for next year, this would officially be a wasteful trade. 

Perhaps it could be , but I hold my judgment until next season. I want to see how they work on his issues and how he adjust to them .  Furthermore, I understand not every trade will be perfect or great . 

11 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Perhaps it could be , but I hold my judgment until next season. I want to see how they work on his issues and how he adjust to them .  Furthermore, I understand not every trade will be perfect or great . 

How easy is it to regain lost velocity? Especially when the decline has been steady over multiple seasons, and therefore can’t reasonably be blamed on injury?

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Fastball averaged 89.9 😬

This is so key. I mean if he never gets the velo back, we basically traded for a lefty power pitcher that doesn’t have the juice anymore. And then we’re trying to convert him into a John Means. Here’s to hoping velo can be regained in the offseason somehow. But I’m not sure that’s normal or easy to do. 

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

How easy is it to regain lost velocity? Especially when the decline has been steady over multiple seasons, and therefore can’t reasonably be blamed on injury?

That is good question and I have no idea how they would try program workouts to increase velocity, failing that, they have to try remake him new pitches , delivery, mechanical or something . The hope is they could keep at Norfolk and see how he performs then .  Worse case, if he flops, wave the white flag 🏳️ and DFA him 

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

This is so key. I mean if he never gets the velo back, we basically traded for a lefty power pitcher that doesn’t have the juice anymore. And then we’re trying to convert him into a John Means. Here’s to hoping velo can be regained in the offseason somehow. But I’m not sure that’s normal or easy to do. 

I do recall in 1989 or so, Orioles had pitcher Jeff Ballad . He was a lefty and soft tosser also . He had some success with us but it was brief ( if I’m not mistaken) 

5 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

I do recall in 1989 or so, Orioles had pitcher Jeff Ballad . He was a lefty and soft tosser also . He had some success with us but it was brief ( if I’m not mistaken) 

It was brief, five seasons with the team he had a winning record in one of them.

• Upvote 1

There have been numerous pitchers who were successful throwing under 90 mph, including several who lost velocity from their younger years when they threw in the low to mid 90’s.  However, for every one that succeeded, there are dozens, maybe hundreds, who failed.   And with average velocity constantly rising, it gets harder and harder for a sub-90 guy to succeed.  So, I’m not optimistic that Rogers would be one of the rare sub-90 success stories.  However. I’m also not convinced that Rogers will now be a sub-90 pitcher.   He’s averaged 91.7 this year, after averaging 94.7 in 2021, 94.3 in 2022, 92.9 last year.  Hopefully the O’s can help Rogers reverse some of that through better weight training or mechanical tweaks.  But that doesn’t always happen, either.  

Rogers was throwing 90-92 with us.   If he’s barely topping 90 now, I’m hoping it’s because he’s made some mechanical changes that are new to him and the velocity rebounds eventually as he gets more innings.   That’s all I got.

7 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Verlander was down in the low 90's at one point and eventually got back up to the mid-high 90's.