Way to go, Elias...

Motorhead

24 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

His career 162 game average is .248/.311/.447, 28 HRs, and 33 SBs.

I can find someplace on the diamond for that.

OK so we trade a major prospect for Jazz Chisholm, who fills.....no need at all on the team.  We do this instead of upgrading the bullpen and/or rotation.  Then Elias gets crucified for not upgrading in areas of actual need.

And again I say, if Jazz hadn't inexplicably hit four home runs in two games, his name isn't even brought up in this thread.  If he's sitting there at 3-22 or whatever to start his Yankees career, everyone would have already forgotten they even traded for him.

6 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

An argument that literally no one can make with any real education on the situation, because no one has any idea if that would have even worked.  And two of those three top prospects are now on the team.

Oh I agree with you but it’s something I have seen out in social media land.  

Now, that being said, I do think it’s pretty likely that had the Os been willing to move a few of those guys that Skubal would be an O or at least some higher end pitching target would be here. I do think that’s fair to to say.

Its just not something the Os were willing to entertain, so there was nothing there.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just because you or any other fan thinks a top reliever was available for Urias and Akin doesn't mean they were.  By the way, I think Elias did great to get Dominguez for Hays, plus Dominguez has an option for next year.  Sort of funny that fans think that top players can be acquired with pieces they feel have no value.

54 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

You mean the guy with the .700 OPS?  Where would he have played?  He’s left handed so he’s not someone to pair with Holliday at second or Ced in center. He’s playing third for NY even though he’s never played there. 

He’s fast and he has a cool name. He’s had an excellent start with the Yanks but if he hadn’t would you even be saying this?

Just the Yankees not getting  him would be a good trade! He turned the Yankees around!! They have yet to lose with him.

Edited by oriolediehard

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

OK so we trade a major prospect for Jazz Chisholm, who fills.....no need at all on the team.  We do this instead of upgrading the bullpen and/or rotation.  Then Elias gets crucified for not upgrading in areas of actual need.

And again I say, if Jazz hadn't inexplicably hit four home runs in two games, his name isn't even brought up in this thread.  If he's sitting there at 3-22 or whatever to start his Yankees career, everyone would have already forgotten they even traded for him.

He could have played LF or CF for us, or on the dirt after Westburg's injury. Like I said, I can find somewhere for a controllable 26 year old who has produced at basically a 30/30 rate for his career so far and may have more in the tank.

And I wanted him badly prior to the Yankees trading for him, so no Monday morning QBing here.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why do all the hot take people never use paragraphs? Man, I’m 40. 2-3 sentences max per paragraph. This crap hurts my eyes. Thanks. Asking for a friend….

You might laugh, but I keep an open prompt in Chat GPT that I copy/paste this stuff to, which is basically something like "take this block of text and keep the words the same, but insert proper paragraph breaks and any obviously missing punctuation." 

It does the trick, so that I don't have to develop a migraine trying to parse through what was said by any "I don't know what the enter key is" posters on the internet  😆

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Fits Nowhere/ you might want to look at Mullins's splits against LHP, and Mateo being DL. what major prospects? the yankees gave up their( always overrated) 19,20 and unrated prospects.Paid far less than the Orioles paid for Rogers. The Yanks stole the money, 4 home runs or not.

2 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Fits Nowhere/ you might want to look at Mullins's splits against LHP, and Mateo being DL. what major prospects? the yankees gave up their( always overrated) 19,20 and unrated prospects.Paid far less than the Orioles paid for Rogers. The Yanks stole the money, 4 home runs or not.

One thing I do agree on is the overrating of Yankees prospects.  I'm sure there are examples of former Yankee farmhands breaking out after being traded, but I don't really remember many/can't think of many.  I guess the Marlins were just dumping payroll, I don't know.  And I'll grant you that Mullins has been ass against LHP, there's no denying that.  But Cowser has played center vs most lefties, and they already can't find room for Kjerstad.  We didn't need another LH outfielder.

For 2B, Norby was capably filling in, and now Holliday is getting his chance again, due to Mateo's injury. Jazz would also probably mean no Mayo, which at the very least would be the end of Roy Firestone. Perhaps you'd rather have Jazz, sounds like you would, and that's a defensible side to take. But as soon as he goes hitless for 3-4 games, the clamor for Holliday and/or the lamenting of trading Norby would kick right back in.

The point is some people will never be happy, no matter what direction the team takes.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why do all the hot take people never use paragraphs? Man, I’m 40. 2-3 sentences max per paragraph. This crap hurts my eyes. Thanks. Asking for a friend….

Every thread topic started should have to be run through Grammerly or ChatGPT before being posted.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

One thing I do agree on is the overrating of Yankees prospects.  I'm sure there are examples of former Yankee farmhands breaking out after being traded, but I don't really remember many/can't think of many.  I guess the Marlins were just dumping payroll, I don't know.  And I'll grant you that Mullins has been ass against LHP, there's no denying that.  But Cowser has played center vs most lefties, and they already can't find room for Kjerstad.  We didn't need another LH outfielder.

For 2B, Norby was capably filling in, and now Holliday is getting his chance again, due to Mateo's injury. Jazz would also probably mean no Mayo, which at the very least would be the end of Roy Firestone. Perhaps you'd rather have Jazz, sounds like you would, and that's a defensible side to take. But as soon as he goes hitless for 3-4 games, the clamor for Holliday and/or the lamenting of trading Norby would kick right back in.

The point is some people will never be happy, no matter what direction the team takes.

Absolutely good post, you can put Cowser in Cf against LHP, with Hays gone who pLays LF.  I mean look at some of the stuff they have done OF,Pache, SLater, a roster spot for Jiminez. Jazzcan do all of that, But I'm not saying thats why they missed, Mateo was Already hurt at that time, thats why they missed. What if Holliday falla again?

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Absolutely good post, you can put Cowser in Cf against LHP, with Hays gone who pLays LF.  I mean look at some of the stuff they have done OF,Pache, SLater, a roster spot for Jiminez. Jazzcan do all of that, But I'm not saying thats why they missed, Mateo was Already hurt at that time, thats why they missed. What if Holliday falla again?

Listen I like Jazz as a player, I think he's an exciting guy to watch, I've even had him alerted in my MLB app for the last couple of seasons.  I just don't think he was ever on the O's radar, and there are plenty of reasons why that would have been the case.  My issue is with criticizing Elias for not getting a player that didn't fill a need as clearly as the players he got do.  You and others may not love all the names we got for the pitching staff, but they are clear upgrades in a clear area of need.  An area of need much greater than who plays LF against left handed pitching.  There's been a ton of roster turnover in the past few days; there was no reason to have even more.

2 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Elias trades for Eflin, Rogers (who got destroyed by Cleveland), Soto, and Dominguez; all have an ERA over 4. Rogers is now 2-10 with an ERA of 4.76. Austin Slater is hitting under .200, Jiménez is hitting .239 and he can only DH because he is a hack in the field...shouldn't even be allowed to wear a glove. For these guys, he gave up INF/OF Mac Horvath, RHP Jackson Baumeister, OF Matthew Etzel, INF/OF Connor Norby, OF Kyle Stowers, OF Austin Hays, RHP Seth Johnson, LHP Trey McGough. For those eight players, and a couple of useless veterans such as OF Mullins, RHP Kremer, LHP Perez, INF Urias, INF Mateo, along with highly rated prospects C/1B Basallo, and OF Bradfield (that is 15 players), they could have acquired quality players (take your pick) such as LHP Tarik Skubal, LHP Garrett Crochet, LHP Tanner Scott, RHP Erick Fedde, OF Tommy Pham, RHP Jack Flaherty. I'd like to think that they could have picked up five out of this group and greatly enhanced the team. As it is, they took a step backward acquiring not one solid player. Just read the grades from the sportswriters (not the uneducated fans) on these deals and it bears out that Elias was burned. The Orioles had a chance to make the team a World Series powerhouse, instead, they were fleeced.

Elias said in an interview with 105.7 that Eflin was the best SP that was available. Skubal and Crochet weren’t deal. Roger was a guy he could get for the #5 slot and he wanted a left hander for the rotation. Cleveland is very good against LHP. I’d give it more than 1 start.