How much more would have Blake Snell cost the Orioles in trade than getting Rogers from the Marlins?

Bruce510

Most baseball “experts” think that we overpaid the Marlins to get Rogers. How much more would we have had to trade to get Blake Snell from the Giants? I doubt we would’ve had to give up one of our big three prospects.

I didn’t understand the move at the time it was made and really don’t think we would’ve had to give up much more to get Snell. What do you think?

I don't think they were trading Snell unless they got blown away.   With the prices of pitchers it'd probably taken at least 1 of the big 3, plus some others.  I'd love to have him,  but not at that price. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bruce510 said:

Most baseball “experts” think that we overpaid the Marlins to get Rogers. How much more would we have had to trade to get Blake Snell from the Giants? I doubt we would’ve had to give up one of our big three prospects.

I didn’t understand the move at the time it was made and really don’t think we would’ve had to give up much more to get Snell. What do you think?

It would have costs us our starting second baseman and starting third basemen.  That is why it didn’t happen.

10 minutes ago, Bruce510 said:

What experts are saying this?

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

It would have costs us our starting second baseman and starting third basemen.  That is why it didn’t happen.

In your opinion, fact is nobody but Elias knows that. Most likely we weren’t even in on Snell because of his salary. 

Snell wasn't even on the market. The Giants are trying to make the playoffs, with Ray back they shipped Cobb out. Would Farhan ship him to us? Yes, but he said the several prospects he asked for back were all off-limits, when the Orioles reached out to him. 

To land Snell would have cost a package they knew they wouldn't get, there was no realistic path to Snell.

I love my home, it's not on the market, but if you offered me 5 million dollars for it, I would sell it.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

I think Snell was on the market in a way you would have to overpay even more than Scott.  First you would have to take on all of next year's salary, which would only happen if he was injured this year and picked up his player option.  Then Farhan no doubt wanted to be compensated for next year like he would be an ace, in which case he would opt out.  So all info points to Farhan wanting to be compensated near the demands for Crochet when he is controlled for 2 months and not 2 years.  I believe the absolute lowest he would have considered would have been Kjerstad, Norby, and 3 or 4 guys in the 10 to 20 range, but I'm thinking he was more likely aiming for one of the big 3 plus a package.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Snell was on the market in a way you would have to overpay even more than Scott.  First you would have to take on all of next year's salary, which would only happen if he was injured this year and picked up his player option.  Then Farhan no doubt wanted to be compensated for next year like he would be an ace, in which case he would opt out.  So all info points to Farhan wanting to be compensated near the demands for Crochet when he is controlled for 2 months and not 2 years.  I believe the absolute lowest he would have considered would have been Kjerstad, Norby, and 3 or 4 guys in the 10 to 20 range, but I'm thinking he was more likely aiming for one of the big 3 plus a package.

The Giants left the door open to be blown away. They believe they can make the playoffs behind this rotation, but had certain prospects been offered, they would have dealt Snell and gone in a different direction.

Several of Baltimore's top prospects were off-limits, and the Padres refused to discuss their top two prospects, teenagers Ethan Salas and Leodalis De Vries.

It's like I said, my house isn't on the market, I plan to live here for the rest of my life, but offer me 5 million bucks for it and I'll pack up tonight.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

The Giants left the door open to be blown away. They believe they can make the playoffs behind this rotation, but had certain prospects been offered, they would have dealt Snell and gone in a different direction.

Several of Baltimore's top prospects were off-limits, and the Padres refused to discuss their top two prospects, teenagers Ethan Salas and Leodalis De Vries.

It's like I said, my house isn't on the market, I plan to live here for the rest of my life, but offer me 5 million bucks for it and I'll pack up tonight.

Exactly.   We could have had Snell, but the price was just too much to really consider.   Heck we probably could have gotten many of the top pitchers who didn't move if we were willing to move some/most/all of the big 3.  But I'm very glad we didn't. 

Well hopefully the O's will be able to get a cost controlled ace in the offseason.  I believe the price will be extreme but not as high as prices at the deadline.  Provided Crochet is healthy, that is the guy I would try to get, if not, one of the Pirates pitchers other than Skenes or a Mariners pitcher.  This team is only going to go as far as its pitching, and I'm hoping to get to the 2nd round.  The O's just can't slug their way to a championship with this pitching staff, imo.  Prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, Bruce510 said:

It’s nice that you doubt that Snell would have cost one of our big 3, but how can you possibly know that?   It’s great to second guess whether we should have acquired Player X, but we have no way to know what the asking price was.   Apparently Snell’s price was too high for any other team to go acquire him.

Here’s what we do know: Snell would have cost nearly $11 mm for the rest of this year, and he carries a $30 mm player option for next year ($15 mm deferred to 2027).  He carries a ton of risk.