Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

I don't know if it's more disconcerting that the fans have such a visceral over-the-top negative reaction to a human being who simply made a business decision that very few of us would have made differently -- or that they actually seem to believe their own rhetoric.

If it was a dungeons and dragons kind of thing, where folks are role-playing just for fun ... okay, it's a bit immature, but I suppose all part of the fan experience, for those who get their jollies from getting so intensely emotional about this. But what scares me is that it seems to carry over into real life for so many. Much as I love the O's as a recreational outlet, I recognize that it's just a friggin game. Seems like a lot of the fans don't recognize that distinction. Unreal.

If you put your heart, passion, and complete mental effort into watching Orioles baseball, it becomes a part of you. Subsequently, it enters your everyday life. If Mark Teixeira was on the side of the road and needed help with a tire would I help him? Yes... However, everytime hes standing there in pinstripes in a batters box, I'm going to boo the hell out of him. And when/if he rakes a 3 run homer to win the game, am I going to be emotionally distraught? Yes... Its part of the "friggin" game to pour everything you have into it.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if it's more disconcerting that the fans have such a visceral over-the-top negative reaction to a human being who simply made a business decision that very few of us would have made differently -- or that they actually seem to believe their own rhetoric.

If it was a dungeons and dragons kind of thing, where folks are role-playing just for fun ... okay, it's a bit immature, but I suppose all part of the fan experience, for those who get their jollies from getting so intensely emotional about this. But what scares me is that it seems to carry over into real life for so many. Much as I love the O's as a recreational outlet, I recognize that it's just a friggin game. Seems like a lot of the fans don't recognize that distinction. Unreal.

I think you and the poster you are responding to are completley wrong about this situation which is why you fail to understand it.

Quotes signs "Saverna Park hates you" and "we hate you"

Colin says "there's a big difference between being passionate and saying 'I hate you'"

Says sarcastically that Tex would be a better person if he took less money and went to work every day with no hope of making the post season.

One fan calls in and says "Yeah O's fans boo Teixeira but when the Yanks show up and he sits out, they feel like they've been ripped off" Colin agrees O's fans are selective.

Another fan calls in and refers to the Tex relationship as him "dumping" the Orioles. Colin can't see it at all. "You never had him in the first place... how could he dump you?"

Another fan calls in and says we (Orioles) have been waiting for a winning team for a long time and we're overdoing it with the booing. Colin says good call "Passion is no excuse for hate. Get a life haters."

Sadly media outlets will pay just about anyone to talk sports!

If you put your heart, passion, and complete mental effort into watching Orioles baseball, it becomes a part of you. Subsequently, it enters your everyday life. If Mark Teixeira was on the side of the road and needed help with a tire would I help him? Yes... However, everytime hes standing there in pinstripes in a batters box, I'm going to boo the hell out of him. And when/if he rakes a 3 run homer to win the game, am I going to be emotionally distraught? Yes... Its part of the "friggin" game to pour everything you have into it.
Okay, that's a well-stated counter-argument, dslats, that clearly demonstrates you have a reasonable sense of perspective about this. It would be reassuring for me to learn that other Tex-boo-birds had a similar view of things. It seems to me that many of them don't.

Look, I'm not making any judgment. And I'm not saying I wouldn't boo him, and I'm not trying to justify this Cowherd guy I've never heard of and everyone seems to dislike. I'm just saying that if you can't recognize that there's a line in the sand and that it's easy to cross it in the heat of the moment, you are wilfully ignoring reality.

If it was "just a friggin game" I doubt you would spend $35 a year for the right to post about the team, and end up with 1900 posts about it. I don't want this to sound like an attack on you (honestly), but even as a recreational outlet, that's more than "just a friggin game".

Especially since the only reason the sport has been able to grow to it's present point is because of the fans. The "game" is a business now, and as a consequence the fans are truely fan-atical, to baseball's advantage and detriment.

This means that players, especially ones who grew up in an area with a popular team and publically spurn the chance to play with that team for a hated enemy, need to understand that the people in their hometown won't be happy, and most players do accept it. That's part of the business, just like if you grew up in Detroit with your father, grandfather, great-grandfather and the rest of your neighborhood working at Ford and you end up in upper management at Toyota; people aren't going to be happy.

The Playmaker's on 1057 just destroyed Cowherd. Ken said he used to work with Colin in Portland or something like that and, basicly said Cowherd doesn't know anything about baseball. He also said he and Colin got into an argument about who was more important defensively Tony Gwynn or Cal freakin Ripken. Obviously we know who was argueing the latter...:rolleyes:

How can you possible argue RF is more important than SS?:confused:

I'm sorry. The reason Baltimore hates Teixeira is not because he took more money to play with a contender. I think a lot of people would take more money.

It pisses me off that Mark leveraged his deal with the Yankees using the Orioles and his "it would be a dream come true [to play for the orioles]" to significantly boost his price. I hate being used. Apparently there are a lot of people in Baltimore who feel used too.

Oh. I don't care about that, especially since I consider a good 75% of that to be conspiracy theorizing. I wouldn't wish personal suffering on someone for their business decision.

If it was "just a friggin game" I doubt you would spend $35 a year for the right to post about the team, and end up with 1900 posts about it. I don't want this to sound like an attack on you (honestly), but even as a recreational outlet, that's more than "just a friggin game".

Especially since the only reason the sport has been able to grow to it's present point is because of the fans. The "game" is a business now, and as a consequence the fans are truely fan-atical, to baseball's advantage and detriment.

This means that players, especially ones who grew up in an area with a popular team and publically spurn the chance to play with that team for a hated enemy, need to understand that the people in their hometown won't be happy, and most players do accept it. That's part of the business, just like if you grew up in Detroit with your father, grandfather, great-grandfather and the rest of your neighborhood working at Ford and you end up in upper management at Toyota; people aren't going to be happy.

Add that you state to the public your desire to follow in your families footsteps and work for Ford... a dream come true... end up signing with Toyota and Ford didn't get a chance to top their offer. Then after signing with Toyota, publicly state it was always your dream to work there.... could give the impression you aren't a genuine person. That you manipulate situations to you own advantage without regard for those who it may hurt.

Oh. I don't care about that, especially since I consider a good 75% of that to be conspiracy theorizing. I wouldn't wish personal suffering on someone for their business decision.

Can you explain why Tex signed with the Yankees before allowing the Angels and Orioles to place any final offers?

So how many of us think that poeple mean half the things they say while heckling or booing or whatever? Of course I don't wish personal harm on anyone because of a game, but what's wrong with telling the other team they stink? Especially in the whole T-Bag scenerio. He's a bum and I hope he hears it.

Can you explain why Tex signed with the Yankees before allowing the Angels and Orioles to place any final offers?

This really doesn't factor into my opinion on the topic of this thread. If I offered someone a job in my company and they stood me up for another company, I'd be annoyed, and I'd lose respect for them, and I wouldn't try to hire them again, and I wouldn't want to have them over for dinner, and I might even guiltily and secretly wish them failure at their company of choice, but I wouldn't want to see their family shamed or their life ruined. Hell, I wouldn't boo them in the street. There's a mindless war mentality in sports that is pretty nauseating and it has a real potential to hurt people. It really is just a game.

Archived