Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I find Cowherd's speaking style incredibly annoying, I agree 100% with his take on the O's fans at yesterday's game. There aren't many among us who actually would have turned down the Yankees money had we been in that situation.

Ironically, I found myself in complete disagreement with his remarks ripping Peter Angelos, who has somehow, quite to my shock and delight, transformed himself into the model owner. (Did I really say that?)

I played baseball into my thirties in Semi Pro leagues and I can say without a doubt I would have signed with the Orioles. Granted, I would have tried to get the best deal from them I could, but I would NEVER play for New York or Boston. I would rather retire. I'm sure I could live pretty good on the Orioles offer and the endorsements as a local guy would make up some of the difference.

Oh yeah, there's also that issue about looking at yourself in the mirror every morning for the rest of your career.

Hopefully, the booing and chanting is louder with each game. Whether win or lose, the O's fans (would if I lived closer :( ) should really give the media something to discuss. I'd rather see the O's gain the reputation for being a hostile place for opposing fans than maintain the passive doormat mantra in order to appease a group of malcontent journalists.

Besides, Mike and Mike summarize the attitude one should take to this whole, overblown thing: that's what fans do, that's what players do. I haven't heard one Yankee fan raise the booing issue with me today, and I haven't heard one player (including Teix) mention it without being prompted.

While I find Cowherd's speaking style incredibly annoying, I agree 100% with his take on the O's fans at yesterday's game. There aren't many among us who actually would have turned down the Yankees money had we been in that situation.

Ironically, I found myself in complete disagreement with his remarks ripping Peter Angelos, who has somehow, quite to my shock and delight, transformed himself into the model owner. (Did I really say that?)

I refer the reponse to the distinguished gentleman from Gulf Shores, AL..

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1698006&postcount=66

I played baseball into my thirties in Semi Pro leagues and I can say without a doubt I would have signed with the Orioles. Granted, I would have tried to get the best deal from them I could, but I would NEVER play for New York or Boston. I would rather retire. I'm sure I could live pretty good on the Orioles offer and the endorsements as a local guy would make up some of the difference.

Oh yeah, there's also that issue about looking at yourself in the mirror every morning for the rest of your career.

I think die hard fans have problems understanding that most people, including professional baseball players, aren't die hard fans. Because someone is from Maryland doesn't mean that they feel the same way about the Orioles that we do.

Many, if not most, professional ballplayers probably think of their home town team like I do the Washington Wizards. I guess I root for them on some level. I guess you could even say they're my favorite NBA team, for whatever that's worth. But if I was 7' tall and the Milwaukee Bucks offered me $40M more than the Wizards I'd be on the next flight to Wisconsin.

Quotes signs "Saverna Park hates you" and "we hate you"

Colin says "there's a big difference between being passionate and saying 'I hate you'"

Says sarcastically that Tex would be a better person if he took less money and went to work every day with no hope of making the post season.

One fan calls in and says "Yeah O's fans boo Teixeira but when the Yanks show up and he sits out, they feel like they've been ripped off" Colin agrees O's fans are selective.

Another fan calls in and refers to the Tex relationship as him "dumping" the Orioles. Colin can't see it at all. "You never had him in the first place... how could he dump you?"

Another fan calls in and says we (Orioles) have been waiting for a winning team for a long time and we're overdoing it with the booing. Colin says good call "Passion is no excuse for hate. Get a life haters."

I honestly don't know who Colin Cowherd is so is there a reason I should care what he has to say?

I think die hard fans have problems understanding that most people, including professional baseball players, aren't die hard fans. Because someone is from Maryland doesn't mean that they feel the same way about the Orioles that we do.

Many, if not most, professional ballplayers probably think of their home town team like I do the Washington Wizards. I guess I root for them on some level. I guess you could even say they're my favorite NBA team, for whatever that's worth. But if I was 7' tall and the Milwaukee Bucks offered me $40M more than the Wizards I'd be on the next flight to Wisconsin.

I refer you to the link posted above. Faulting Tex for going to NY isn't the issue. It's how he did it that rubs most of us the wrong way.

I honestly don't know who Colin Cowherd is so is there a reason I should care what he has to say?

I honestly wish there was more chatter on the board about how well the Orioles played yesterday, both at the plate and in the field, rather than this Teixeira garbage. There's a lot more to take from yesterday's game than the Teixeira drama.

But, just so I'm not a complete downer, the booing was top-notch. :D

Hopefully, the booing and chanting is louder with each game. Whether win or lose, the O's fans (would if I lived closer :( ) should really give the media something to discuss. I'd rather see the O's gain the reputation for being a hostile place for opposing fans than maintain the passive doormat mantra in order to appease a group of malcontent journalists.

Besides, Mike and Mike summarize the attitude one should take to this whole, overblown thing: that's what fans do, that's what players do. I haven't heard one Yankee fan raise the booing issue with me today, and I haven't heard one player (including Teix) mention it without being prompted.

see bolded.

I understand that. I just have a different outlook. If I was in a position to sign with my hometown team, I would. Most of the players today, in any sport, have no idea of the history of the game they play at all. Case in point. The guy from the Marlins that hit the inside the park homer yesterday didn't know who Carl Yastrzemski was. That's sad.

I guess I'm a dinosaur. I actually believe in certain values and virtues and most of todays professional athelete doesn't have any of those.

As for the money issue, once you have 100 mil in the bank I would say you're set for life. And your kids life, and your grandkids...........................

You are 100% correct. But Tex seemed to indicate that he shared some our feelings about the Orioles. Then after signing with the Yankees, he was suddenly always a Yankees fan.

For me, it's the two-facedness that's a boo-able offense. If he had just kept his mouth shut for the last seven years or so, I don't think anyone would be too upset.

I understand that. I just have a different outlook. If I was in a position to sign with my hometown team, I would. Most of the players today, in any sport, have no idea of the history of the game they play at all. Case in point. The guy from the Marlins that hit the inside the park homer yesterday didn't know who Carl Yastrzemski was. That's sad.

I guess I'm a dinosaur. I actually believe in certain values and virtues and most of todays professional athelete doesn't have any of those.

As for the money issue, once you have 100 mil in the bank I would say you're set for life. And your kids life, and your grandkids...........................

You sound like Cal Ripken, and yes, you are a dinosaur. Also, I don't think your point is on point. We boo the guy for how he did us, not why he did us.

I don't know how anyone can call the Yankee fans classy. So Cowherd is being a big time hypocrite. Yankees fans boo A-Rod because he's not perfect. God if we had a guy with that kind of power I would be a huge fan. I don't really care. Tex deserves all the hell he can get from our fans. And RShack's right, it would been one thing if he had been honest pre-negotiations instead of using us. I would still boo him because I hate the Yankees but I wouldn't hate him.

Archived