White Sox Losing Streak

Filmstudy

Tom Boswell wrote an article today saying that White Sox fans should treat their club the way that Baltimore fans treated the ‘88 O’s.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/08/07/white-sox-losing-streak-1988-orioles/

After the Orioles finally won, they lost two more and came home to Memorial Stadium at 1-23. The team had lost 95 and 89 games in the previous two seasons. The Oriole Way era was dross.

How would the team’s fans react? The pregame ticket sale was 47,000. “I’m quite bewildered,” Billy Ripken said. The actual attendance was 50,402. One sign in the bleachers read: 139-23. The team was greeted with roars and chants of “O-R-I-O-L-E-S!” much as it had been when it won the World Series five years earlier. The crowd suspended reality and turned back the clock for a night, so it could accept the present.

“Now I can understand why players have always been so proud to be Orioles and why so many move to Baltimore to live. But this is beyond anything I’d imagined,” General Manager Roland Hemond said. “It’s a display of the genuineness of these people. This is America at its best.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

The White Sox won BTW last night so they did not break the losing record. So they now share the AL losing record with the 1988 Orioles. Almost got that erased, but the crappy A's weren't able to get it done.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tom Boswell wrote an article today saying that White Sox fans should treat their club the way that Baltimore fans treated the ‘88 O’s.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/08/07/white-sox-losing-streak-1988-orioles/

After the Orioles finally won, they lost two more and came home to Memorial Stadium at 1-23. The team had lost 95 and 89 games in the previous two seasons. The Oriole Way era was dross.

How would the team’s fans react? The pregame ticket sale was 47,000. “I’m quite bewildered,” Billy Ripken said. The actual attendance was 50,402. One sign in the bleachers read: 139-23. The team was greeted with roars and chants of “O-R-I-O-L-E-S!” much as it had been when it won the World Series five years earlier. The crowd suspended reality and turned back the clock for a night, so it could accept the present.

“Now I can understand why players have always been so proud to be Orioles and why so many move to Baltimore to live. But this is beyond anything I’d imagined,” General Manager Roland Hemond said. “It’s a display of the genuineness of these people. This is America at its best.”

Cool.

I thought Boswell had retired.

On 8/6/2024 at 10:40 AM, theobird said:

Exactly right! And that is why I am a huge fan of the Orioles front office today, led by ME. And please don’t say it’s because I’m a homer, because I was a very vocal detractor from previous Oriole front offices. Thrift was bad, and Dan Duquette was not any better. I know that is not universally agreed to, just the way I saw it.

I take no offense to your believing that Dan Duquette was bad.  I am utterly shocked and amazed that you think Sid Thrift was THAT good!