Hey you guys! We've got the best record in baseball!

Moose Milligan

There's more parity in baseball this season as no team is on pace for 100+ win season and it would be the first time since 2014 without one. Sure we'd like the Orioles to play better than they have the last two months, but they're tied for the best record in baseball.

Yet there seems to be panic among some fans the team won't even make the playoffs. There are no truly great teams this season and even of the Orioles were going to be some 105 win juggernaut history says the best usually isn't winning the World Series in the age of the expanded playoff format.

Long term the pitching does need to get healthier with Grayson, Coulombe and Webb returning. Even if the O's get the wildcard the most important thing is getting the team ready for the postseason. Burnes, Grayson and Eflin is a pretty formidable top three if they're all available come October.

None of the division leaders are playing very well right now.  The O's just happen to be playing well enough to be tied with the Yankees, who have had their own struggles.

The hottest and perhaps most dangerous teams in baseball right now are the DBacks, Padres, Astros and Mariners -- all teams either battling for a wildcard or to take over the division lead.  The Cubs are hot too, though it's hard to see them supplanting any of the teams ahead of them.

3 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

None of the division leaders are playing very well right now.  The O's just happen to be playing well enough to be tied with the Yankees, who have had their own struggles.

The hottest and perhaps most dangerous teams in baseball right now are the DBacks, Padres, Astros and Mariners -- all teams either battling for a wildcard or to take over the division lead.  The Cubs are hot too, though it's hard to see them supplanting any of the teams ahead of them.

Actually I meant to say most of the division leaders are not playing dominant baseball right now with the exception of the Astros who are looking a bit scary.  The Dodgers are playing better too with Freeman back, but they just lost River Ryan for the season.  The injury bug everywhere.

I'm not worried about not making the playoffs.  I'm worried when we make it all of these issues will be magnified.  As it is right now Eflin is our #2 starter.  I like Eflin but he's more of the middle of the rotation starter.  I guess Rogers is our #3 right now and then it's between Suarez and Kremer for #4.  And if Kremer continues to pitch poorly I guess we go with Suarez but that hurts the pen of course.  And naturally McDermott has to go down (probably for the season), which hurts because we could use him in the pen as a power arm.  Something we really need with a pen that really isn't a strength now.  We need Webb and Coulombe back but even then, I'm not crazy about the pen.  And with a subpar rotation generally you need a great pen to compensate.  

It's just unfortunate with all the pitching injuries, I mean with even moderate injury luck we'd have a bit of a cushion over the Yankees and probably be a favorite in the AL.  As it is we badly need Grayson back in time for they playoffs, even if we just get the Wild Card.  Because it's just hard to see a realistic path to win the WS if Grayson isn't available.  I mean #2 Eflin/#3 Rogers/#4 Kremer or Suarez, to win multiple rounds with a pen that isn't great to compensate.  It's just very hard to see it working.  But if Grayson is able to comeback we have a chance.  #1 Burnes/#2 Rodriguez/#3 Eflin as a top 3.  That gives you a chance.

As for the pen, let's hope Danny and Webb can come back and be themselves.  I love the Dominguez pick up.  The jury is still out on Burch, I don't trust Baker.  As for Soto, if only we could get his power arm under control.  But the guy has averaged 5 BB/9 IP for his career so I'm not betting on it, at least not this year.  Btw, look at his stats for us this year just for fun.  Just 2.1 IP pitched so extremely SSS (obviously!) but look at them anyway just for how whacky they are: 5.1 WHIP, 34.7 H/9 IP, 3.9 HR/9 IP, 11.6 BB/9 IP.  It's cartoonish!  Obviously he's not going to continue to be that bad, but he is going to have to earn our trust before he gets a bigger role.  

As for the line up, it's certainty good enough of to win and while I'd like a bit more OBP, I'm not overly concerned about it, especially if Westburg and Kjerstad come back (though those two are an open question).  We'll also see how Mayo shakes out as he could really help that if he figures it out in time this year.   

God I feel like I've been blabbering all over the place.  But in my defense it is 3am and I'm tired and my pain meds are messing with cogitation.  So if I'm repeating stuff and/or disorganized somewhat, you know why.

Anyways, I hope for the best.  This team if G-Rod, Danny, and Webb come back is good enough to give us a chance.  What iteration of Kimbrel rolls around when we hit the postseason will also be a big factor.  The line up is good enough, but it'd be nice to have Kjerstad and Westburg healthy in time.  In the meantime Mayo has a bit more opportunity but he does need to "figure it out."  If he can do that further boosts the line up.  But the single most important player that we need healthy over anyone is Grayson.  Let's hope he can return in Sept. and get his reps in so he can ready for the postseason.  If he does, we at least have a chance of winning the WS for the 1st time in 40 years.

Edited by O's84
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

How can this be? 

We've got a rookie 3rd baseman who can't buy a hit and is a butcher with the glove, our real third baseman is out with a broken hand, our #2 starter is on the shelf with the ever mysterious lat strain, two of our top starting pitchers are out with Tommy John surgeries, one of our best relievers MIGHT be ready to come back in September, our amazing closer from last year won't be back until next year, one of our bullpen pickups at the deadline has an ERA for us that's approaching Michael Jordan's career PPG average, the closer we paid 13 million for this year doesn't look like he's our closer anymore and has stretches where he looks downright awful, one of our other relievers is on his 7th team and that's not counting his stops in Japan and the KBO, we've got a backup catcher who got hit in the face with a pitch but outperformed our All-Star catcher for the month of July, and we've got a rookie second baseman who looks Ruthian at the plate since his return from the minors but apparently has a noodle for an arm.  

Home plate umpires consistently screw us left and right on calls out of the zone, they're clearly out to get us.  We've got a starting pitcher who hadn't been in the majors since 2017, was released by the Samsung Lions of the KBO last August and is sporting a 3.39 ERA, yet we're proclaiming that he's turning into a pumpkin at the first sign of trouble.  Our GM absolutely refuses to draft pitching in the high rounds and we've got a manager who is simply obsessed with matchups and doesn't always pull the right string.  

But we're tied with the Yankees at 70-49 for the best record in baseball.  Man, I love it when a plan comes together.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952rrn3149a6ht9j7k9ylj

Genius level foresight from Elias!

5 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

So.....do we have the best record because Hyde is that good, or because we have that much talent? I'm asking a serious question. I'm inclined to say it is our talent.

Haven't you heard?  Hyde is atrocious and needs to go...now.  We keep winning in spite of him, somehow.

• Upvote 1

Great recap.

It is interesting to see how much adversity this team has overcome to still be one of the best team's in baseball.

I know some fans/posters live and die with every game and proclaim this team is going down the toilet the first time it loses two games in a row, but this team really is pretty good overall.

Over the last 30 days, Santander (.993 OPS) Cowser (.943), Holliday (1.081 since his return) and Mullins (.849) to a lesser extent have really driven this offense though Gunnar (.798) has been good, just not amazing. 

Hopefully Adley (.611) and Mountcastle (.643) will get it back going and Mayo will make his adjustments. 

• Upvote 1