We're going to be okay.

interloper

I’ve given up hope that this team is going to go on a hot streak. They’ll continue to battle and they’ll make the playoffs, but it feels like the overall meh version of this team is here to stay for this year. Adley and Gunnar are showing no signs of breaking out with the bats, and we need them to in a big way. The injuries are just absurd at this point. The bullpen has looked better but there’s still way too much uncertainty there - Kimbrel is toast. Rookies taking their lumps at multiple spots (and now add Mayo to that list - either that or Rivera is now the starting 3B, which would at least provide steady defense)  

The team is just a shadow of what it was earlier in the year, there’s no way around it. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I’ve given up hope that this team is going to go on a hot streak. They’ll continue to battle and they’ll make the playoffs, but it feels like the overall meh version of this team is here to stay for this year. Adley and Gunnar are showing no signs of breaking out with the bats, and we need them to in a big way. The injuries are just absurd at this point. The bullpen has looked better but there’s still way too much uncertainty there - Kimbrel is toast. Rookies taking their lumps at multiple spots (and now add Mayo to that list - either that or Rivera is now the starting 3B, which would at least provide steady defense)  

The team is just a shadow of what it was earlier in the year, there’s no way around it. 

I'm shocked that the O's are still a playoff team if the season ended today. I can't remember a time when injuries devastated an O's roster like this. 

I've totally adjusted my expectations. A playoff berth will be a miracle, and I'll be proud of the team for making it there. 

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I'm shocked that the O's are still a playoff team if the season ended today. I can't remember a time when injuries devastated an O's roster like this. 

I've totally adjusted my expectations. A playoff berth will be a miracle, and I'll be proud of the team for making it there. 

It’s insane they still are a virtual lock (99%) at this point. The AL has been so mediocre this year.

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

Today is a must win game, and this is in no way a misuse of the term. If they can't win a series against the Rockies they should just fold up shop.

I hear you... but also note that the Yankees in August lost series to the Angels and Nats, and a game to the White Sox 12-2, and they're still ticking along.

1 hour ago, now said:

I hear you... but also note that the Yankees in August lost series to the Angels and Nats, and a game to the White Sox 12-2, and they're still ticking along.

I don't know about "ticking along". They're kind of floundering too. They should be up like 5 games by now given how we've played the last 2 months.

Somebody will get hit at some point and pull away from the pack or get hot in playoffs and honestly we have about same chance as anyone.  The Yankees on paper look the best but they can’t put anything together like us.  The Indians starting rotation seems too bad to go on a run.  They Royals lost there big middle of the order bat for the year most likely.  The Twins looked like the team making a move then they have collapsed and are hanging on to last Wild card berth.  The Astros rotation is the best and young guys are stepping up but bottom of the lineup has series issues.  We are holding on hoping to get healthy but it seems everytime we are about to get someone back another guy goes down and we the same place.  We added some offense at deadline then next day Westburg gone for two months.  We traded for Efflin to give us Burnes, GRod, Efflin Kremer 1-4.  Then two days later GRod goes down.   Then Kremer looks like he had written the ship to help fill in for that loss and Efflin goes down.  We are a day away from getting him back and now Kremer gets injured.  There has really only been a short window when everyone was healthy and that is the reason our record is where it is.  

On 8/30/2024 at 8:51 AM, OrioleintheATL said:

17-9 or better the rest of the way.  Hitting about to get real healthy, injured players coming back over the next 3 weeks, back end of the rotation will give us enough, Burnes will get right, all coming together starting this weekend.  I think 17-9 will be enough to win the East, especially if we win 2 of 3 in NY.

55+ homers in the next 26 games.  Heard it here first.

2-1 so far towards 17-9 prediction.  Need Grayson back and Burnes to get right.  Add that to an Efflin that should be solid and we will be ok.  

12 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Some big ifs here, but definitely reasonable ifs...

If Gunnar and Adley remember how to hit

If Westburg comes back

If Grayson, Webb and Coloumbe come back

If Mountcastle returns to form

If Burnes gets back to normal 

Then, we will be fine

I’ll play a game here:

If Gunnar and Adley remember how to hit —> 50% chance of both happening. hopeful for Gunnar, think Adley is hurt. 

If Westburg comes back —> 40%. i was hopeful here but even if he comes back, may not hit the ground running  

If Grayson, Webb and Coloumbe come back—> 75%.  feel good about all three  

If Mountcastle returns to form —> 60%.  feel hopeful Mounty has enough time and could get hot

If Burnes gets back to normal —> 90%. this one to me is the most likely

For me I think we need:

-Santander, Gunnar, O’hearn and one more to perform like MOO bats in the stretch and into the playoffs (one of Mountcastle, Cowser, Holliday get hot?) 

-We need the back of the bullpen to solidify around Cano, Dominguez, Perez, Webb, Couloumbe and Soto.

-We need Burnes, Eflin, Suárez, and then Gray Rod to pitch to their season norms (with Burnes shaking off the recent poor performances).

I think if 2 of these 3 happen, we are knocking on the World Series door. 

On 9/1/2024 at 8:48 PM, Bahama O's Fan said:

Some big ifs here, but definitely reasonable ifs...

If Gunnar and Adley remember how to hit

If Westburg comes back

If Grayson, Webb and Coloumbe come back

If Mountcastle returns to form

If Burnes gets back to normal 

Then, we will be fine

There are a of IF's there. 

That said, at some point around this time last year, some fan on a Rangers board said something similar and their dreams came true. If it can happen for those Ranger fans whom we all know are not as smart, witty, or beautiful as we Oriole fans then I have to believe it can happen to us. :)

Here's my uneducated take on the IL contingent (level of confidence they will return and be effective)

• Strong Confidence - Webb
  • Medium Confidence - Coulombe, Kremer, Mountcastle
  • Low Confidence - GRod, Westburg
  • No Confidence - Urias, Kjerstad
  • Obvious Wait till next season(s) - Bautista, Bradish, Wells, Means, Mateo