Soto this offseason

Rbiggs2525

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the team already has enough DH types.

I'd love to have the bat, but I don't see it being a fit on any level.

Knowing Boras, he gets a deal where he can opt out after 2-3 years. Presumably he would, so I'd do it knowing you are only paying him for the first few years. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Livan Soto will be waived, but Elias loves bringing him back, so don’t you worry. Haha😜

Thats what I thought the thread was about. The other Soto, I cant believe poeple are even responding to that.

I know we’re talking fantasy level stuff here, but even so…between Burnes and Soto, I take Burnes every time. We need the pitching. How does the compensation picks for ROY or whatever help the Orioles anytime soon? It doesn’t.

Plus, maybe I’ll get bashed for saying this, and it very well could be my own bias…but Soto seems like an extremely unlikeable person and I’d hate to root for him. I mean, I’d do it…I was a Machado fan while he was an Orioles so I’ve done it before. But if the O’s are going out spending stupid money then you may as well go for Burnes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gamiliel said:

Knowing Boras, he gets a deal where he can opt out after 2-3 years. Presumably he would, so I'd do it knowing you are only paying him for the first few years. 

Bryce steered to the no-trade clause so he could "recruit".     It was fun earlier this year when Scott, now that Harper's traveled down the defensive spectrum to 1B, thought now would be a good time for him to be extended.     

Phillies, Dodgers and maybe even Manny's Padres or the current NL champs maybe will make NL playoffs more entertaining than watching Orioles pitching trying to get the AL's best out.

20 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I know this sounds crazy but I am going after Soto this offseason. They should take the money that was supposed to go to Burnes and Santander and give it to Soto. Then take the 3 compensatory picks in Cowser ROY, Santander, and Burnes to acquire young pitching. First calls I would make would be Seattle, Cincinnati, Tampa, Pittsburgh for pitching. We do not have a consistent hitter in this lineup. Gunnar is a great player but has not reached the level of Soto, Harper, Judge, Ohtani in my eyes. At this point I am not that concerned about resigning our guys as winning a title next year. I will fight that fight in 3-4 years.

Gunnar is in his second season. Soto in his what 6th? Do you not think experience matters in terms of the development of superstar players?

Also, how does Soto help us pitch better. The main problem with the O’s during the last two months of the season is that we have one of the worst pitching staff’s in terms of runs allowed per game in MLB.

The notion that paying someone like Corbin Burnes $35-40M a year would be a better investment than paying Juan Soto $45-50M a year is just so far off-base to me.

I think the concept fails right on its face, because Soto is just a much more valuable player than Burnes. Even if we just use Burnes’s best years (2021-24), Soto is worth 26 rWAR and 24 fWAR, as compared to Burnes with 16 rWAR and 19 fWAR. 

But beyond that, one of them is a hitter who will be 26 years old and the other is a pitcher who will be 30. The hitter is enjoying a career year as he enters his prime, while the pitcher is continuing on a years-long downward trend.

It’s not even close in terms of who is likely to be worth more over the next 5 years. If it was close, I could see the tie going to the pitcher because of our present need. But again: they are not comparable assets.

The thing with huge contracts is that they always hamstring you. That’s unavoidable. But on a reasonable payroll, you can survive as long as you’re getting production out of the guy. Soto is one of the surest things in all of baseball to be extremely productive over the next 5 years — while there’s a very meaningful possibility that Burnes is either injured or little more than an average pitcher a couple years from now.