Washington Post O’s story on taking the next step.

Pat Kelly

22 minutes ago, now said:

Mind you, it's not like we missed all of that quartet this season. Combined they made 35 starts, good for 17-6 (mostly GRod at 13-4) to add to our winning record.

No, but we've been without Bradish for the bulk of the season.  We're a better team with him.   Maybe our offense doesn't suck so bad in August if Westburg doesn't go down.  

I dunno.  But I can't think of many teams that could lose 4/5 of a starting rotation and still be in the thick of it.

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I know. It was about 31% sarcasm on my part. I’m tired of seeing the injuries as the reason. Can someone just come up with something else? Injuries aren’t the reason Adley is the new Crush. Or that Cowser has the situational hitting of Rob Deer. Or that Burnes has fell off. Or that Holliday and Mayo are strikeout machines. Just looking for some analysis on the details instead of trying to gloss over everything with the generic injuries excuse. 

There's certainly room for all of those things to be true.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Washington has first hand experience with this. They started there window in 2012 with 98 wins. Then were punched in the mouth by a battle hardened St Louis Cardinals team. They fought for 7 years to finally get the title. 

In their first year without Harper. Sorry Adley! 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Does it talk about Elias and Hyde needing to be replaced? 

I think it would be a major mistake to replace Elias!!  He made a big difference from 2021 and back.  We had Duquette and it didn't work.  I am afraid we will be going through multiple Duquette types and bad O's teams.  If Hyde had a healthy team we would be the best team in MLB.

But if only we hadn't made the Roger's trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😄 yada - yada! One thing I can say that most of you can't. Never is 70 years of Oriole baseball have I seen an Oriole team so decimated yet hang on in a race for October. It started with The Mountain and went down hill from there. Pardon the pun and I am not using just injuries as excuses for current play but just saying I have never seen anything like this during my fandom. I hope if nothing else it serves as on hell of a learning experience.

10 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

But if only we hadn't made the Roger's trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😄 yada - yada! One thing I can say that most of you can't. Never is 70 years of Oriole baseball have I seen an Oriole team so decimated yet hang on in a race for October. It started with The Mountain and went down hill from there. Pardon the pun and I am not using just injuries as excuses for current play but just saying I have never seen anything like this during my fandom. I hope if nothing else it serves as on hell of a learning experience.

Rays last year.  Braves and Dodgers this year.

When you go a decade or more between October runs you have fewer data points to pull from.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I know. It was about 31% sarcasm on my part. I’m tired of seeing the injuries as the reason. Can someone just come up with something else? Injuries aren’t the reason Adley is the new Crush. Or that Cowser has the situational hitting of Rob Deer. Or that Burnes has fell off. Or that Holliday and Mayo are strikeout machines. Just looking for some analysis on the details instead of trying to gloss over everything with the generic injuries excuse. 

1) I believe injuries are Adley’s problem.

2) Because Cowser and Deer have essentially the same strikeout rate? Deer was ridiculed for whiffing 31% of his career ABs, Cowser is at 29.7%. And Deer walked more often. The whole game is full of Rob Deers now.

3) Burnes has been volatile. His career ERA in July is under 2.50 — in August it’s over 4.00. (Fortunately, it’s better in September)

I know you’re tired of hearing about injuries. I’m just tired of injuries. By comparison last year’s team was very, very fortunate.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Adversity is sometimes a great thing to learn from. 

Let's hope the Orioles are able to do so.

Boom! Let's see how they respond. This might be the most interesting part of the story.

“There is no better teacher than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.”

Malcolm X

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rays last year.  Braves and Dodgers this year.

When you go a decade or more between October runs you have fewer data points to pull from.

Can, I'm so glad you are around to check everything. But I've never been a fan of either of those teams. I thought I was referencing my experience WITH the Orioles. Context Can - Context. Thanks anyway - you always manage to contribute.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Too Tall said:

Can, I'm so glad you are around to check everything. But I've never been a fan of either of those teams. I thought I was referencing my experience WITH the Orioles. Context Can - Context. Thanks anyway - you always manage to contribute.

Like I said, they have gone so many years without being contenders that it isn't a shock you haven't seen a team deal with what the O's team has this season.  When a 100 loss team has a bunch of injuries a lot of "fans" don't notice as they weren't watching in the first place.

Other fanbases have.  Not sure how you can be a fan of one team for so long and manage to not pay any attention to the league as a whole.

It's an excuse, and a weak one at that.

The holding on isn't even impressive, they've been trying to fall out of the race but the Yankees don't want to win the East either.  The bar to make the playoffs this season looks to be lower than most years. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said, they have gone so many years without being contenders that it isn't a shock you haven't seen a team deal with what the O's team has this season.  When a 100 loss team has a bunch of injuries a lot of "fans" don't notice as they weren't watching in the first place.

Other fanbases have.  Not sure how you can be a fan of one team for so long and manage to not pay any attention to the league as a whole.

It's an excuse, and a weak one at that.

The holding on isn't even impressive, they've been trying to fall out of the race but the Yankees don't want to win the East either.  The bar to make the playoffs this season looks to be lower than most years. 

I think Too Tall was aware of those examples you brought up. 

The original comment just meant "I've never seen anything like this from the Orioles during my fandom of the Orioles."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think Too Tall was aware of those examples you brought up. 

The original comment just meant "I've never seen anything like this from the Orioles during my fandom of the Orioles."

Like I said, you go a decade between competitive teams and you don't have as many chances to see them overcoming adversity.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And then everything went great for them in the years that followed.

Living here, I think most Nats fans would say that the subsequent pain was worth it to win a World Series.  Though I do think some of their fans had unrealistic expectations that the Nats could run a top five payroll indefinitely and just keep every good player who hit free agency.