Pitching to Witt

winston24

Hyde's decision pitch to Witt is akin to Buck not using Britton.  Ask yourself this question.....If it had been Judge instead of Witt, does Hyde walk him?  Especially with Pasquantino batting for the first time since late August AND a thumb that isn't fully healed????  

This was a historically bad decision.  Cost us the game.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, winston24 said:

Hyde's decision pitch to Witt is akin to Buck not using Britton.  Ask yourself this question.....If it had been Judge instead of Witt, does Hyde walk him?  Especially with Pasquantino batting for the first time since late August AND a thumb that isn't fully healed????  

Not getting a single run cost us the game.

• Upvote 2

It didn't work out but you can also imagine a scenario where Pasquantino draws a walk and then Perez puts the game completely out of reach. I would have been fine with walking him but I also get why he didn't. If you believe your offense can score a run then it's the right decision. Burnes has to pitch around Witt but he gave him a fat one close to middle middle.

5 minutes ago, winston24 said:

Technically it only cost us a tie. 

I wouldn’t put it in the same conversation with the Britton decision, for several reasons. 

I don’t even mind the choice not to IBB, but it ought to have been a true pitch around. An unfortunate moment of missed execution from Burnes. Should have had less of the plate, and been less similar to the prior first pitches to Witt. 

3 minutes ago, winston24 said:

Not even in the same stratosphere as Buck/Britton. Was it the best idea? No. Neither was walking the 9 hitter and letting him steal 2nd.

That said, the clutchless offense and horrible at bats are what lost this game, I don't think 10 years from now anyone is going to be listing pitching to Bobby Witt as an all-time Oriole blunder.