Elias and Hyde address the media today

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Not really.   He hits HR, but that's about it.   He comes up small way too often for me to think we are really going to miss him.

Name anyone on this team that came up big late more than Santander. 

7 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I know you don’t believe in “clutch” or whatever it is named. But as smart as you appear to be, you have to know that it is a biological fact that people respond different in high stress/unusual stressful situations. Some people have the ability to stay calm and focused. And some people panic, become anxiety ridden, lose focus, and their muscles tense up/tighten.

I have no way of knowing whether that happened to any/many of our guys. But we can all agree that something drastically change for players team mid way through the season. And something uncharacteristically negative happened to many of our hitters for much of the second half. Some of these guys went from being first half all stars to much worse in such a short period of time.

I’ve played a lot of sports in my life. Obviously none at a professional level. I think what you are thinking of has more to do with confidence. When a player is locked in and confident his success rate goes up considerably. It’s hard to determine how a guy is feeling. But, Gunnar for example didn’t look confident in his at bats. I think the same thing could be said for his defensive funk. Once he started making errors it kind of ballooned into a pretty ugly run.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

Ravens fans question...when in the league calendar were Bisciotti's State of the Team things?

Rubenstein isn't going to say Boo for a decent length of time, and we are only halfway through his first year as control person learning how he'll conduct himself.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Ravens fans question...when in the league calendar were Bisciotti's State of the Team things?

Rubenstein isn't going to say Boo for a decent length of time, and we are only halfway through his first year as control person learning how he'll conduct himself.

After they were eliminated from contention. I think he stopped participating in them a number of seasons ago. Probably around the time Ozzie handed off to DeCosta

42 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Have you found anything in Rubenstein's public history that would make you believe he would use a group setting or the media to send a message to an employee?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've said before that I'm expecting payroll to hover around 20th.

But Elias didn't actually say anything.  I don't blame him and I'm not upset about it,  I'm just making an observation.

I’m hoping for 15th or so. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting some ebb and flow depending on where the team is at.  I could see 15th in certain seasons.

I think it could briefly go up to like 12th if they really go all in down the road. But I think the team would need to have continued success and draw more fans for a one or two year spending spike. Just my two cents. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm expecting some ebb and flow depending on where the team is at.  I could see 15th in certain seasons.

We have no basis to assume anything about the new ownership group's willingness to spend or even what the team's break even point is.  Nor do we know what their threshold is for "creative" structuring of deals; they're hedge fund guys after all.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but my feeling is that we see 15th sooner rather than later.

Just now, 24fps said:

We have no basis to assume anything about the new ownership group's willingness to spend or even what the team's break even point is.  Nor do we know what their threshold is for "creative" structuring of deals; they're hedge fund guys after all.  I'm not saying you're wrong, but my feeling is that we see 15th sooner rather than later.

Sure.  Honesty I'm just going off a couple comments he made.  We could end up anywhere.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, pretty confident.

That's not saying anything.

How many teams have their payroll go up in any given year?  Twenty-five?

If it doesn't go up what can we point to?  Him saying he was pretty confident?

We could point tenders , arbs , signings, etc . But again, he could be vague 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There are certain things I will miss. I mean, this was a rule 5 guy who hadn’t played above A ball and found a way to be a really solid player. Tons of respect for his work ethic, the person he seems to be and the teammate he seems to be.

But it’s just time to move on. If he accepts the QO and stays for 2025, I won’t be terribly upset but that’s not going to happen.

You’re correct about where he came from , how his work ethic made to where he is today . Plus he is popular among his teammates, he is nice fellow. He’s been around and I’m thank him for his service to O’s .

Just as you said, it’s time for him to move on, I hope he finds new team and new deal . And we collect QO pick