How does Povich fit into your 2025 plans?

Sports Guy

Povich was up and down at this level this year. 

His peripheral stats aren’t great…His xERA was 4.02. He has some upside but I’m unsure how much. He ended the year strong. In 27.2 IP in September, Povich had a 2.60 ERA, 10.4 K rate, 2.6 BB rate and only 16 hits allowed.

Right now, we have 3 guaranteed starters in GRod, Kremer and Eflin. Rogers and Povich are also possible but I can’t imagine those 5 are our starters next year. 

Elias likes both of the lefties, as he made it a point to trade for them.

So, where does that leave Povich?  Is he trade bait? Is he depth? Is he a starter for us next year?

If you are going to make a major trade this offseason, I would figure Povich and/or Kjerstad will be involved in the deal.

What would you do with him?

I like him a lot more than Rogers. Would like an open competition for the 5th spot between Suarez, Povich, McDermott, Rogers and a FA starter.

Basically we need insurance in case Grayson isn’t ready/effective to start the year. This team also needs to acquire a #1/2 type pitcher because I don’t think Eflin is that kind of guy. Eflin is best as a middle of the rotation kind of guy. 

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

A lot of truth in this but if you want to trade for someone of real value, he may have to be in the deal.

Are we just handing a spot to Kremer? I know he was good in September and May but a lot of really bad outings in between 

Just now, casadeozo said:

Are we just handing a spot to Kremer? I know he was good in September and May but a lot of really bad outings in between 

Over the last three seasons, Kremer has thrown 427.2 innings at a 3.85 ERA...every single team in baseball would be handing him a spot in the rotation.

• Upvote 3

Pitching development is weird.  He might be a tweak away from being the next Bradish.  He might wash out.

His lack of top end velocity limits him a little bit but he's gotten okay results so far, so you kind of hope he can tweak something to get over the hump.

7 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I feel like I repeat myself a lot here. If Kremer is your number 4 or 5 you have a damn good rotation.

He is so underrated by many and I just don’t understand. If he was a free agent he would probably getting minimum 3 years 40 million or something close to that. We have a solid pitcher in the rotation paying him minimum.

Edited by turtlebowl

4 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I feel like I repeat myself a lot here. If Kerner is your number 4 or 5 you have a damn good rotation.

He is so underrated by many and I just don’t understand. If he was a free agent he would probably getting minimum 3 years 40 million or something close to that. We have a solid pitcher in the rotation paying him minimum.

My point was less about Kremers skill set and more about the idea that he is a #3 and more accurately a #4 or #5.

if we are able to able to add 2 starters (long shot I’m aware) Kremer is someone we should explore as part of a package. I’d rather keep Povich as a lefty. 

I think we sign one pitcher who is pretty much guaranteed a starting spot, hopefully a strong #1/#2 type, and then sign a couple guys to complete with Povich, Suarez (not sure his contract status) and Rogers for the #5 spot behind Eflin, signee, Grayson and Kremer.   With Grayson's injury history, I hope we get a decent arm or two that we can either stash in AAA or in the bullpen who can start when injuries inevitably happen.  Povich will be in that mix, but performance will hopefully determine who get is.  I'm encourages by his end of the year results, but certainly don't expect big things from him next year.