A debate that should be interesting???

Flosman

To be honest, I really hadn't noticed that qualifier. Even so, Nick's already pretty much at the level O'Neill was in that 6-year span, so I expect him to surpass it (except maybe that strike-interrupted 1994 season).

Right. Which is why he's my baseline ("as good or better") if he falls short of the Kaline-Musial comparison.

If you want comps, I'd think somewhere between Al Kaline and Stan Musial is what we should be hoping for.

With a likelihood that he ends up, instead, as good or better than Paul O'Neill (circa 1993-1998).

I mean, definitely (definitely!) saying that if Nick's career doesn't match two first-ballot HOFers, then he's still likely to be as good or better than Paul O'Neill at his best is worthy of being "tracked down and killed."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that Kaline is a good comparison. Musial is good comparison in terms of on base percentage and walks, as Musial did that three times. If Nick can continue to develop his power numbers then I can say with certainty that he's on his way to reaching Musial type levels.

I've always maintained that Nick reminds me of "the Man". He won't hit for average like Stan. Nobody does now a days, ut he can hit 400+ HR's over the course of his career, IMO, and maintain a high OBP. He is a great all around hitter like Musial was.

Oh, someone else who cannot read and comprehend or else practices isolating a post and reading into it only what they want to see?

Maybe if you had read the subsequent post I wrote where I explained why I liked Jones' better you wouldn't be so off base in making such comments?

I'm not arguing against your point. I actually don't care because they are both on my team. Jones could be better than Kakes. He has shown amazing aptitude the past two years. It's tough to gauge his ceiling.

My post was in regard to the bolded part "should learning." I thought it was funny.

I think we all appreciate a mammoth shot every now and then... but that's not any way to evaluate the talent level of a player.

Even the incompetent Felix Pie hit one 419 feet.

Unbelievable!!!!

That's not true! I mean, in 2006 our 2nd longest homerun was hit by Luis Matos. So there goes your theory!

I would say Jones and it won't even be close. He has superstar written all over him, whereas Markakis just has very good player written all over him. For example, I know it was just one HR but I have never seen Markakis come close to crushing a ball the way Jones did last night. That was a monster shot and simply awesome to behold!

Yea, how on earth could anyone think you implied that Old Fan. :rolleyes:

Right. Which is why he's my baseline ("as good or better") if he falls short of the Kaline-Musial comparison.

I mean, definitely (definitely!) saying that if Nick's career doesn't match two first-ballot HOFers, then he's still likely to be as good or better than Paul O'Neill at his best is worthy of being "tracked down and killed."

Note that I said that the person who first made the O'Neill comp was the one who should be tracked down and killed. And whoever that was, did not qualify the comp the way you did. Your comp makes much more sense (though I think Nick will be better).

Note that I said that the person who first made the O'Neill comp was the one who should be tracked down and killed. And whoever that was, did not qualify the comp the way you did. Your comp makes much more sense (though I think Nick will be better).

I agree with Frobby here. I think O'neil is the worst case for Nick. I have said since he was a rookie that he would have MVP level seasons and be a HOFer. Actually caught alot of flack for it, but a stand by that I see something like 310/405/525 type career line for him with 400+ hrs and 600+ doubles.

Yea, how on earth could anyone think you implied that Old Fan. :rolleyes:

Apparently some of you are beyond hope when it comes to reading my sentences as I clearly stated that it was "only one home run." I was not basing my entire Jones love on a single home run like some of you (apparent jokers) here are claiming! For the Love of Every Thing Great and Holy give me a break for once will YOU!!!!!:(

Apparently some of you are beyond hope when it comes to reading my sentences as I clearly stated that it was "only one home run." I was not basing my entire Jones love on a single home run like some of you (apparent jokers) here are claiming! For the Love of Every Thing Great and Holy give me a break for once will YOU!!!!!:(

But the example that YOU used to justify that Jones is the answer and "its not even close" was because he hit that ball very far last night.

Its not like you said, "now that's not the reason I feel he is better but..."

So yes, you did imply that Jones is better because of that.

Oh well, its just semantics and obviously you didn't mean it the way it seemed to be implied but still, don't jump on people because that's how they read it.

Sorry, but you kind of brought this on yourself. Let's look at your statement again:

"I would say Jones and it won't even be close. He has superstar written all over him, whereas Markakis just has very good player written all over him. For example, I know it was just one HR but I have never seen Markakis come close to crushing a ball the way Jones did last night. That was a monster shot and simply awesome to behold."

You said "for example," which indicates that Jones' homerun was somehow an example that he has superstardom written all over him and Markakis doesn't. When you phrase things like that, you're going to get some backlash.

Sorry, but you kind of brought this on yourself. Let's look at your statement again:

"I would say Jones and it won't even be close. He has superstar written all over him, whereas Markakis just has very good player written all over him. For example, I know it was just one HR but I have never seen Markakis come close to crushing a ball the way Jones did last night. That was a monster shot and simply awesome to behold."

You said "for example," which indicates that Jones' homerun was somehow an example that he has superstardom written all over him and Markakis doesn't. When you phrase things like that, you're going to get some backlash.

Okay. Point taken. However, since a few people here love to nitpick over essentially nothing, and act like attorney's disecting a brief, maybe I should have stated my take on Jones as follows:

I think Adam Jones is faster, stronger, bigger, taller, has a better swing, arm, and essentially does everything just a tad better than Markakis ever will, except draw walks and possibly hit for average. He also hit a homer last night that I personally feel was more beautiful in its majestic trajectory and distance than any I have personally witnessed Markakis ever hitting. However, just to clarify, I am not basing my belief that Jones is going to be better than Markakis and a superstar on that single round tripper, even though it was a thing of beauty!

How's that?:eektf:

Okay. Point taken. However, since a few people here love to nitpick over essentially nothing, and act like attorney's disecting a brief, maybe I should have stated my take on Jones as follows:

I think Adam Jones is faster, stronger, bigger, taller, has a better swing, arm, and essentially does everything just a tad better than Markakis ever will, except draw walks and possibly hit for average. He also hit a homer last night that I personally feel was more beautiful in its majestic trajectory and distance than any I have personally witnessed Markakis ever hitting. However, just to clarify, I am not basing my belief that Jones is going to be better than Markakis and a superstar on that single round tripper, even though it was a thing of beauty!

I really hope you are right. As I was saying to my buddy last night, if Kakes is ever the 3rd best hitter in the lineup, the Orioles are going to be awfully good.

Written like a literate and (apparently) sane, logical adult. In other words, refreshing. ;)

Archived