Rubenstein: Orioles will speed up the effort to get to a World Series

waroriole

12 hours ago, 24fps said:

Once again Elias describes the process rather than answer the question(s).  Rubenstein has the same option but instead made more of a committment even if it wasn't as specific as it could have been.  I'll take that as progress - it certainly is compared to John Angelos.

Right now what I really need to see is a compelling argument that $150 million shouldn't be the budgetary starting point for a highly competitive team AL East team that's no longer in rebuild mode.  I don't think there is one.  Even Peter Angelos understood that competitive teams need more monetary support.

They don’t need to spend 150M.  They have won almost 200 games the last 2 years without spending that much money.

Now, I think the long term budget should be in the 130-175 range.  No reason they can’t do that. But there is plenty of reason right now why they don’t have to.

As I have mentioned, the Os have about an 82M payroll right now, for 21ish players (that includes Mounty being traded)

A few of the spots left aren’t ones that will make much money, like backup C.

So, there is only so much they can do to get into the 150 range anyway.

Obviously they could sign 2 big starters or go after Soto. Soto is likely not realistic and not sure how smart that would be anyways.

Edited by Sports Guy

Not sure why so much negativity about the article. He basically said he’s old so if he wants to see his team win it all, he’s going to have to amp up the effort to do so. To me that sounds like throwing money out there to spend on payroll. 

Now, does he have to show us rather than just saying it?  Of course. But a quote like that is a helluva lot better than anything Angelos ever said on the topic. I for one appreciate the seeming sense of urgency. 

That being said We also need to keep in mind that this offseason isn’t going to be the last offseason ever. Just because there’s no huge contract (if that’s how it turns out) or extension doesn’t mean that there never will be. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Not sure why so much negativity about the article. He basically said he’s old so if he wants to see his team win it all, he’s going to have to amp up the effort to do so. To me that sounds like throwing money out there to spend on payroll. 

Now, does he have to show us rather than just saying it?  Of course. But a quote like that is a helluva lot better than anything Angelos ever said on the topic. I for one appreciate the seeming sense of urgency. 

That being said We also need to keep in mind that this offseason isn’t going to be the last offseason ever. Just because there’s no huge contract (if that’s how it turns out) or extension doesn’t mean that there never will be. 

Agreed. I thought it was a decent take, the new owner wants playoff success sooner, rather than later. As O’s fans, we’ve heard it before, at various times, so I also see why some are a little cynical.

I don’t think DR is going to break the bank, but I do think this will be a more interesting off season than most. And, I go back and forth everyday myself on whether I would sign Burnes to a long term deal or extend Gunnar into the insane money/years level. The upside is, I think we have some good options, good young players, some money to spend and an owner who is also a fan.

11 hours ago, Emory Eagle said:

They better bc I’m not sure you could have scripted a less enjoyable MLB season in which the Os make the playoffs than this one.  Morale is low.

I think everyone will be excited when spring training starts and then OD. 

Higher expectations now. More frustration.  

24 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Anyone consider that maybe if Rubenstein wants to win a World Series now, he might be less likely to offer extensions to our young players and more likely to add talent from outside?

It’s a thought for sure — but I imagine he will still defer to Elias as to the how. This could show us how much Elias wants to keep any of the kids or if he utilizes them in trades to get the roster to where he wants it.

I really think the Hot Stove season offers some intrigue this year. 

40 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I think Rubenstein and Elias are going to shock the (Oriole) world. 

A lifetime of fandom and I wouldn’t be shocked if they spend a bunch — nor would I be surprised if they only make a couple moves. I kind of hope I get shocked with an extension or two and a helpful FA or two.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They don’t need to spend 150M.  They have won almost 200 games the last 2 years without spending that much money.

Now, I think the long term budget should be in the 130-175 range.  No reason they can’t do that. But there is plenty of reason right now why they don’t have to.

As I have mentioned, the Os have about an 82M payroll right now, for 21ish players (that includes Mounty being traded)

A few of the spots left aren’t ones that will make much money, like backup C.

So, there is only so much they can do to get into the 150 range anyway.

Obviously they could sign 2 big starters or go after Soto. Soto is likely not realistic and not sure how smart that would be anyways.

If the opening day payroll is $130 million and it was deployed intellegently, I probably won't complain.  But if I start hearing about reasonable deals for positions of need like SP that the O's weren't in on that might change in a hurry. 

I don't think the O's get Soto either, nor should they if the estimates we're starting to hear about his price tag are even close.  I can see him staying in the AL East though.

Just now, 24fps said:

If the opening day payroll is $130 million and it was deployed intellegently, I probably won't complain.  But if I start hearing about reasonable deals for positions of need like SP that the O's weren't in on that might change in a hurry. 

What does this mean?