What the Os did at the deadline will matter

Sports Guy

18 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

If July is all the O's are going to do, then forget the 2025 playoffs.  We are losing Burnes, Santander, McCann, Means and the July moves are to replace our losses, it's ludicrous.  We won't finish at .500 in 2025, maybe worse.

Can you show me where I said that’s all they are going to do?  Are you actually reading what’s being said?

It’s also funny that you would mention McCann and means as actual losses.

And they could definitely be a playoff team as constructed right now but the margin for error wouldn’t be high.

Edited by Sports Guy

When you pick guys up at the deadline, the logical goal is that they will help you for the rest of the season. It is hoped that they may also help you in subsequent seasons.

Rogers was useless, and even though Elias is hoping he will be good, there’s no reason to think that he will be. That was just a bad trade. Dominguez and Soto are problematic, Eflin was a clear win.

Elias should try to improve upon these guys, and it will be disappointing if he does not.

8 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

When I feel way more confident in Tommy Edman in a big playoff moment than any one of our young talents, that is a problem. 

That is a problem. But I think a big part of that problem might be correctly referred to as “recency bias.”

Coming into the NLCS, Tommy Edman had a .556 OPS over 80 postseason PAs. He had a great week in the NLCS, but even after those 6 great games, his career playoff OPS is just .681.

If you’d feel better about him in a vacuum than guys like Gunnar or Westburg or Adley, I think you’re giving a whole lot too much focus to a short hot streak.

EDIT: And as I hit send, Tommy boots a grounder by Stanton. It’s a shame, because I like him as a player. But he’s not a cornerstone dude, not matter how good a series he just had.

Edited by e16bball

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I've seen you say this Bregman thing before, and I'm curious what makes you think that beyond the obvious Houston connection.  Bregman is an awful fit for us - we already have a third baseman for one (arguably 2, but that depends on how anyone feels about Mayo at third - plus Urias either way though), and he's a RH hitter in a ballpark that would be terrible for him.  Plus the injury concerns.  I don't get it.

Not only does the bergman thing not make any sense, Bregman has said that he would not be interested in playing in Baltimore due to the wall. Bregman is NOT coming to Baltimore.

Edited by theobird
spelling

46 minutes ago, theobird said:

Not only does the bergman thing not make any sense, Bregman has said that he would not be interested in playing in Baltimore due to the wall. Bregman is NOT coming to Baltimore.

He's on record saying that?  I missed that.