4/29 Halos @ O's

Saintbird

The most pathetic thing about the whole Pie disaster is that he’s getting lifted for defensive purposes late in ballgames. The biggest thing everyone pointed to was his “stellar” defense and how many runs it was going to save the O’s pitchers.

One point though I think everyone is missing about the LF situation is that there is no guarantee Reimold will even be an upgrade over Pie. Mashing AAA pitching isn’t the same as hitting MLB pitching. Montanez was hitting .429 in AAA before he called up and now he’s batting a hefty .167, almost as bad as Pie.

Yeah but you can see that Montanez is just a better hitter than Pie right now. He's hitting the ball to the opposite field. He's working counts. He's just a few hits from being a .300 hitter. Pie isn't even close.

And not giving Reimold a chance because he's not guaranteed to produce is about the worst argument for failing to promote a player I can imagine. Reimold is earning a chance with his play at AAA. He can't ever prove whether or not he can hit ML pitching if he's never given the chance.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you talking about a different player?

They've put Pie into games late as a defensive replacement when he hasn't started. Not the other way around.

Montanez moved to left with Pie leaving instead of Montanez getting pulled for Andino. I think it has less to do with defense and more to do with the Angels closer being left-handed which is when the spot in the lineup would come up again.

Today's game? I guess you could argue that Trembley just wanted Montanez to hit instead of Andino and didn't want to waste another bench player.

That's exactly the case. It's not a matter of wanting a better defender than Pie-- it's a matter of wanting to keep Lou's bat in the lineup for the rest of the game.

I don't remember which games but Pie has definitely been taken out of games late for defense. (unless my memory is completely wrong, it wouldn't be the last time)

I'm going to say your memory is wrong on this one. I don't think it's happened before.

They just did it for Izturis. I may have saved him for the LH closer.

I am REALLY sorry I watched this game. My most frustrating of the year, barring a surprise....

Wow- r u serious? Did you watch ANY of the Red Sox games? Game 3 against the Yanks? This game we have squandered some chances yes- but this is not even top 3 in terms of being the worst to me. It would be another tough loss- but not as painful as some of the games we have handed over on a silver platter.

Archived