4/29 Halos @ O's

Saintbird

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. It really is amazing how much bad luck and poor decisions we've had on the base paths. Couple that with the fact that teams have been manufacturing runs against us by taking extra bags- it just hurts. Man I can't wait until things start to balance out a bit.

That's exactly the case. It's not a matter of wanting a better defender than Pie-- it's a matter of wanting to keep Lou's bat in the lineup for the rest of the game.

I'm going to say your memory is wrong on this one. I don't think it's happened before.

Freel came in in the late innings early in the season IIRC.

And btw, Montanez has looked pretty uneasy in LF since he went in. It must be really windy the way he has struggled.

SB isn't a bad move there. Scott was the last offensive threat in our lineup, so you move to second hoping to get him to get a single to tie the game.

Otherwise you're hoping from an XBH to the gaps from Scott and then a good piece of hitting from Wigginton or someone behind him (or a PH).

Sucks that he got caught, but I don't disagree with the strategy. Nick has a decent success rate and relief pitchers aren't usually as good as holding runners as starters.

That's exactly the case. It's not a matter of wanting a better defender than Pie-- it's a matter of wanting to keep Lou's bat in the lineup for the rest of the game.

I'm going to say your memory is wrong on this one. I don't think it's happened before.

Luckily (or unluckily for my shoddy memory) I'm bored enough at work that I looked at every box score for April and it seems he was only pulled late once or twice, and probably during his at-bats. I stand corrected.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I’m outta rep, but these posts explain why you wouldn’t do it. I like Crochet, maybe they trade for him in the off season when Getz has less leverage. 
    • I still have not seen a single explanation of why we’d give up those kinds of assets for a guy who might not even be pitching by August given the IP situation.  We can figure out next years rotation in the off season if we have to. We don’t need to give up major assets right now for a guy who might not help THIS year.  So I’ll ask again, WHY would Crochet even be a target, let alone someone we’d give up these kinds of assets for?  And that’s before you even factor in that the Sox haven’t exactly been reasonable with their asking price, reportedly, on other players. 
    • Hahn was still the GM at last year’s deadline.   
    • I'm really concerned about Crochet being able to maintain his level of production down the stretch given he's never pitched this many innings before. And I am dead set against trading Mayo or Basallo for anyone who's not an absolutely proven ace commodity over multiple years, like Burnes was.
    • This is the part of my post I left out, but definitely is worth considering. 
    • They have all of the post season to consider free agents who won’t cost anything other than dollars and considering the payroll under which the Orioles currently operate that shouldn’t be a problem. The issue is adding to the current roster effectively as to make a deep PS run. Can they do that without selling the farm? Sure, but the idea we trade off Kjerstad because he has the most value (perceived or otherwise) is short sighted when you look at next year and beyond.   I've said it before, I really like Santander but he’s gone and it’s looking less likely HE is part of a package. They’ll need someone to take over in RF, be it HK or Stowers.    So, if the right move is available to the Orioles without sacrificing the future, then they do it. Then, and only then would I consider the package discussed here. Not a bad package, but one I don’t think ME makes based on his previous comments (we’re looking at competing for multiple WS titles).  And of course, I could be way off base. 
  • Popular Contributors