who are your top choices for pick number #5?

The way I have heard it broken down is as follows: So far this year he is showing no power at all. So, if he does fill out his tall frame, they figure he may end up too big to play short. So, that leaves you with a 3rd baseman with no power, an average glove, but bad range. He would be a decent ball player sure, but would u wanna spend your 5th pick on a powerless 3rd baseman with no range? I wouldnt, not when there are high ceiling pitchers all around our draft slot at 1:5. Here to hoping that Schep continues his progression, but hoping that he falls to us at 5!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The way I have heard it broken down is as follows: So far this year he is showing no power at all. So, if he does fill out his tall frame, they figure he may end up too big to play short. So, that leaves you with a 3rd baseman with no power, an average glove, but bad range. He would be a decent ball player sure, but would u wanna spend your 5th pick on a powerless 3rd baseman with no range? I wouldnt, not when there are high ceiling pitchers all around our draft slot at 1:5. Here to hoping that Schep continues his progression, but hoping that he falls to us at 5!

I could see maybe questioning his range at SS in the future, but why do you think he'd have no range at 3B? Also, and I know I'm in the minority, but I think he is better than an average glove.

3rd base is about being able to react, I guess its impossible to take info on his range at SS and apply it to 3rd because they are such different positions. U can have slower reaction times and be an awesome SS because u have more time to react and u can make up for slow reaction time with your range. I guess there is no way to tell how his reaction time will suffer as he gets bigger, but there IMO is no way to say that his range would be good at 3rd base either.

3rd base is about being able to react, I guess its impossible to take info on his range at SS and apply it to 3rd because they are such different positions. U can have slower reaction times and be an awesome SS because u have more time to react and u can make up for slow reaction time with your range. I guess there is no way to tell how his reaction time will suffer as he gets bigger, but there IMO is no way to say that his range would be good at 3rd base either.

I guess I disagree. By your definition, third base isn't about range at all, and that isn't true. You are more frequently closer to the batter, so there are of course different balls than you would get at SS. But there are also tons and tons of routine/average speed ground balls to each side, requiring the same caliber of reads and ranging. I think the positional difference, to the degree you are describing it, is a bit cliche. I honestly can't think of any situation or type of player that would be able to play SS at a D-I school and have below-average range for a 3B.

Why no love for Alex White on here? I'd rather have him than one of the HS pitchers or Crow. Scheppers I would take over White, but I think Scheppers is gone at 3 or 4.

We've been hyping Scheppers a bit in the last week or so, but it's still very possible that he could last til mid-late first. He's coming off a mysterious injury with rehab, not surgery, that leaves a whole bag of questions.

White hasn't performed enough to really show he's a top 5 talent yet. It's hard to say people are passing him by, because I don't think anyone has really distanced themselves yet, but there are a lot of guys with serious upside out there that if things are status quo are just as likely to be rated the BPA at the time. He could very easily go on a tear and distance himself, and be the #2 pick, but the longer he waits, the more company he'll have.

Why no love for Alex White on here? I'd rather have him than one of the HS pitchers or Crow. Scheppers I would take over White, but I think Scheppers is gone at 3 or 4.

I'm sure I'll be singing his praises after I see him next week. Looking forward to it!

As an aside, I did throw out there like a week ago that I thought he would finish strong and end up going second overall.

I'm sure I'll be singing his praises after I see him next week. Looking forward to it!

As an aside, I did throw out there like a week ago that I thought he would finish strong and end up going second overall.

White was very shaky yesterday vs. NC State. He pitched 6 innings giving up 3 runs on 5 hits and 5 Ks but also had 5 BBs.

He has 31 BBs in 75 IP with 82 K's and a 3.45 ERA.

Not exactly Top 5 material...

White was very shaky yesterday vs. NC State. He pitched 6 innings giving up 3 runs on 5 hits and 5 Ks but also had 5 BBs.

He has 31 BBs in 75 IP with 82 K's and a 3.45 ERA.

Not exactly Top 5 material...

Trea, I'd just like to know if you've seen anyone in the draft class actually play....

Trea, I'd just like to know if you've seen anyone in the draft class actually play....

The kid who thinks Strasburg isn't going to have a better career than Ackley (and therefore wouldn't pick Strasburg over Ackley)?

Pffft.

The kid who thinks Strasburg isn't going to have a better career than Ackley (and therefore wouldn't pick Strasburg over Ackley)?

Pffft.

College pitchers will always fail. One 1B is much more valuable than a pitcher who could be the best pitcher in baseball.

I guess I disagree. By your definition, third base isn't about range at all, and that isn't true. You are more frequently closer to the batter, so there are of course different balls than you would get at SS. But there are also tons and tons of routine/average speed ground balls to each side, requiring the same caliber of reads and ranging. I think the positional difference, to the degree you are describing it, is a bit cliche. I honestly can't think of any situation or type of player that would be able to play SS at a D-I school and have below-average range for a 3B.

You are right there are normal plays for the 3rd baseman just like SS, but sometimes at 3rd, u dont have a chance to even take 2 steps when someone hits a rope down the line. U just have to dive, if u are to bulky to make that quick reaction and dive for the ball in time, u wont catch it, let alone stop it. Im not saying right now in his current state he wouldnt be able to make a switch to 3rd, but if he adds too much muscle for SS, Im just saying its not a given that he would be a good, or even an average fielding 3rd baseman. On this subject, I dont mean to be cliche, I am just remembering it from when I used to play 3rd, I hated it. I liked SS much more because u have a chance to take your own routes on the ball, u have a better emphasis on using your footwork and u have more time to react to the ball. At SS u play the ball to your hop, at 3rd, sometimes u just gotta take the short hop. But this is all just my opinion, no factual basis behind it..... :)

I would place Alex White to me personally behind all top 3 HS pitchers (Matzek, Miller and Purke). I do not think White's stuff measures up to Crow's or Scheppers, and I would rather take my chances with all 3 of the HS pitchers ending up better than White....He just isnt King people like I thought he would this year, his ERA is pretty high as well as his walks. Don't forget, Crow could blow up with a few good showings at Indy league just as they did with Schep. Crow supposedly has been refining his change up all last year....

Archived