OH Group-Mock '09

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By all means, discuss, but in an effort to keep it organised, discussion should be in a seperate thread

I hear you, and it's your idea, but it's rather difficult to not discuss the picks as we go. I am updating the OP as the choices are made, that way we keep the selections organized. So let's keep it all here in one thread.

I'm anticipating Weblink21 to choose Grant Green for the Padres. :mad::D

haha. You ruined the surprise! :P

I am actually going to think that they will pass on Green. I think there are too many questions for #3. I think they go for a prospect with less questions and take pitcher Aaron Crow.

Tate was very tempting to take because of his ceiling, but I think that the Pads would lean this way so that they could have a close to ready starter on the team, especially if Peavy is traded.

Sorry for the delay in making the pick.

With the fourth pick in the first round of the pretend make believe 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, Pittsburgh selects:

Tanner Scheppers

RHSP

6'4 195 lbs

St. Paul Saints

This is one of the many BPA at this slot, also they already have history with eachother, Pittsburgh recieved permission to draft Schep. The one obstacle I see here would be a bad medical report.....

1:5 Baltimore Orioles

With the 5th pick in the first round, the Baltimore Orioles select Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS

Tyler Matzek

6-3, 185 lbs.

LHP

This arm gives Baltimore another talented youngster to add to their stable. Matzek has a clean delivery to go along with considerable upside, and he could move fairly quickly despite being a high schooler.

Thanks for the lay-up.

With the 7th pick in the first round, the Atlanta Braves select Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding High School, Georgia

Zack Wheeler

6-5, 190 lbs.

5/30/1990

This heavily scouted arm gives Atlanta another local youngster to build around. Wheeler has a projectable frame to add weight and potentially a couple of MPH to his low-mid 90’s fastball. He has two solid offerings to build on. A plus fastball and developing curve.

FYI, I'll be away from my computer until about 9:30. If someone wants to take the Texas pick for me, that would be fine.

1:5 Baltimore Orioles

With the 5th pick in the first round, the Baltimore Orioles select Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS

Tyler Matzek

6-3, 185 lbs.

LHP

This arm gives Baltimore another talented youngster to add to their stable. Matzek has a clean delivery to go along with considerable upside, and he could move fairly quickly despite being a high schooler.

My avatar is not happy with this pick! :(:P

My avatar is not happy with this pick! :(:P

It was a close decision. I was pretty set on one of Crow, Matzek, or Schepper (in that order), so once Schep and Crow were gone, I was looking at Matzek, Green, and Gibson. I like Matzek's ceiling over Gibson, but it was hard to pass up on Green. For a high school arm, Matzek has a lot of polish, and should rise quickly with his quality 4 pitch mix.

However, if the O's do select Green on the 9th, I won't be disappointed. It'll be exciting to have a potential plus bat at a premium position. I really do think that if Green slips in the 8-10 range, that he'll have the chance to burn the teams that passed on him if everything comes together for him.

And honestly Web, I was surprised that you passed on Green:p

Archived