Round 11 Selection: Michael Ohlman, C, HS, FLA

MICHAEL OHLMAN, C, LAKEWOOD RANCH HS, BRADENTON (Ranked #165 by BA)

Yet another prep catcher from Florida, Ohlman started to get national attention last fall playing for North Carolina's "Dirtbags" travel team, which featured Tar Heel State prep stars Brian Goodwin and Wil Myers. Ohlman showed premium power potential in the summer and fall and was snapped up in the early signing period by Miami. He's tall for a catcher at 6-foot-4, and his slender 200-pound body doesn't seem suited to the position for the long-term, scouts worry. But he has shown excellent athletic ability, and he should be able to remain a catcher at least through college. He has excellent arm strength, but his receiving skills are less advanced than his Florida prep rivals. He has improved his skills behind the plate but has a long way to go in terms of blocking, framing pitches and learning other nuances behind the plate. He's tall so he has some holes in his swing but has a good feel for hitting and hand-eye coordination. His best tool is his raw power, which might be sufficient for a move to a corner. Ohlman should be athletic enough to give outfield a try if catching doesn't take. He could go in the fourth-to-sixth round range.

Me too. I'm out after this. Like this pick. Yes, another catcher but it appears he can play OF as well.

Yet another prep catcher from Florida, Ohlman started to get national attention last fall playing for North Carolina's "Dirtbags" travel team, which featured Tar Heel State prep stars Brian Goodwin and Wil Myers. Ohlman showed premium power potential in the summer and fall and was snapped up in the early signing period by Miami. He's tall for a catcher at 6-foot-4, and his slender 200-pound body doesn't seem suited to the position for the long-term, scouts worry. But he has shown excellent athletic ability, and he should be able to remain a catcher at least through college. He has excellent arm strength, but his receiving skills are less advanced than his Florida prep rivals. He has improved his skills behind the plate but has a long way to go in terms of blocking, framing pitches and learning other nuances behind the plate. He's tall so he has some holes in his swing but has a good feel for hitting and hand-eye coordination. His best tool is his raw power, which might be sufficient for a move to a corner. Ohlman should be athletic enough to give outfield a try if catching doesn't take. He could go in the fourth-to-sixth round range.

Me too. I'm out after this. Like this pick. Yes, another catcher but it appears he can play OF as well.

Reading about this guy reminds me a lot of Jayson Werth...anyone else feel the same way?

Reading about this guy reminds me a lot of Jayson Werth...anyone else feel the same way?

• 1 month later...

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/132547739

Ohlman, a former Lakewood Ranch High star catcher who was drafted by the Orioles in the 11th round (326th pick) of the 2009 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft last month, said firmly talks are ongoing.

"Each pick has a different money amount that the team wants to pay them," Ohlman said Wednesday from outside a restaurant in Alpharetta, Ga. where he'd just finish playing a game with the Florida Bombers, his travel ball team, "but they know I won't sign unless I get the amount I want."

Ohlman wouldn't say how much he wants, but he appears dead-set on not settling for less.

"I set a premium for myself, and I won't lower that instead of going to college," the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder said. "I won't give in."

Ohlman said no decision will probably be made until August if he'll go pro or head to the University of Miami, where he signed to play last year.

Get this kid signed.

I'd love to have Ohlman, Givens, Hoes, Avery, and Corey Thomas moving through the system within a year or so of each other. At least talks are still on with Ohlman, and at the end of the day I think Jordan will get most of our higher profile draftees signed.

Archived