How Did Everyone Else Do?

Seems to be a lot of din ringing around how poorly we drafted.

For those in the know - how did other teams do?

My take is the Rockies did well with Matzek, Brothers and Wheeler.

I would guess they had one of the better ones based on pre-pro analysis.

They have a healthy stock of arms to go with their murderer's row lineup. They plucked Purke, Scheppers, Mendonca with their first 3 picks! How did they do that? That's like 3 first rounders. Then they got an absolute stud in round 8 with OF Jabari Blash.

They win the whole enchilada in my opinion...

Another winner:

The Oakland A's

They got stud SS Grant Green, and added should-have-been first rounder Max Stassi in the 4th.

I don't think the O's "won" in this draft, but I don't think they blew it either. The success of this draft hinges on Givens. I think Hobgood will work out ok. If Givens can harness his tools and talent and become a solid SS, this will have been a very successful draft.

They have a healthy stock of arms to go with their murderer's row lineup. They plucked Purke, Scheppers, Mendonca with their first 3 picks! How did they do that? That's like 3 first rounders. Then they got an absolute stud in round 8 with OF Jabari Blash.

Another winner:

The Oakland A's

They got stud SS Grant Green, and added should-have-been first rounder Max Stassi in the 4th.

I don't think the O's "won" in this draft, but I don't think they blew it either. The success of this draft hinges on Givens. I think Hobgood will work out ok. If Givens can harness his tools and talent and become a solid SS, this will have been a very successful draft.

Great call - - and I totally agree. I thought the Rangers haul was quite nice. Oakland didn't hurt themselves either...

Another winner:

The Oakland A's

Bear in mind that Scheppers is a very high risk guy. I like the pick, but he may go down in history as "Remember that guy named Tanner?" Mendonca is a very nice pick, but I think it's a little rich to call him a first rounder. He went higher than pegged to go as it is.

For Oakland...Grant Green and Stassi are certainly sexy picks. How did Stassi fall into the 4th round? Was it signability or was he just over rated by the national publications?

Bear in mind that Scheppers is a very high risk guy. I like the pick, but he may go down in history as "Remember that guy named Tanner?" Mendonca is a very nice pick, but I think it's a little rich to call him a first rounder. He went higher than pegged to go as it is.

For Oakland...Grant Green and Stassi are certainly sexy picks. How did Stassi fall into the 4th round? Was it signability or was he just over rated by the national publications?

Signability is what I've read.

Stassi still has to sign, dont forget that.....Im really not to upset we didnt take Matzek. Though we heard really good reports from our own draft gurus, I never found a draft report that really looked like he was worth 2 million, let alone 7 million hes asking for....One report I read made him sound almost lazy and lacadasical (sp?) haha....Ima go see if I can find it, it may even have been the draft reports....

"Sometimes seems like he just does what he needs to do to get by. He may have been throwing to the gun too much in the past."

"He has everything you'd want to see within him, including at least three average or above pitches. When he wants to, he has a really good idea of how to pitch."

The part I bolded stands out as well, this must be why Matzek was rated as low as he was on the O's draft board, especially with JJ's emphasis on the mental aspect.

Stassi still has to sign, dont forget that.....Im really not to upset we didnt take Matzek. Though we heard really good reports from our own draft gurus, I never found a draft report that really looked like he was worth 2 million, let alone 7 million hes asking for....One report I read made him sound almost lazy and lacadasical (sp?) haha....Ima go see if I can find it, it may even have been the draft reports....

I think one thing that will be very interesting to follow is how Hobgood, Matzek and Wheeler will perform this and next year.

Don't kid yourself, Matzek is a very, very good talent. I think he would be an excellent sign if he was looking for money in the 3.5-4M range, but 7 million was just too rich, especially when there were other solid talents available.

I think Colorado did well with their first 3 picks, and the OAK and TEX hauls were nice as well. I like Oakland's draft even more if they are able to sign Krol and Dyson. Tampa Bay has a chance to add a solid group of high schoolers if they can sign Bailey and Malm.

Our draft may not be super "sexy" right now, but I think Jordan did a great job of getting talent. So many people want to judge this draft off of BA rankings, but we still did pretty well at getting guys off their list. Hobgood (40), Givens (46), Henry (195), Tolliver (102), Berry (113), and Cowan (133). There's some risk to this draft, but I think there's going to be at 5-6 guys that really have a chance to make an impact.

I think one thing that will be very interesting to follow is how Hobgood, Matzek and Wheeler will perform this and next year.

Yes, Ill be very interested to follow these guys. Dont forget some of the other HS arms we drafted around then as well, Henry, Tolliver and Cowan could easily end up as good or better than any of these higher profile prep arms....Im very excited to see our system in 3 years, we are setting up our system to be very strong, stronger than it is now IMO.

Is anyone aware of any articles evaluating how the various teams fared in the draft, other than the ones at ESPN which require an Insider subscription? I did a google search without turning up any.

Nothing yet, but I think that is because people (like Stotle, Crawdad, and I) are running around crazy-like trying to find info on half of these kids. Give it a few more days.

Archived