Matusz in his AA debut

QBsILLEST1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have more tomorrow but I liked what I saw tonight from Matusz for the most part. Basically he's fastball command away from being a very, very effective major league pitcher. His fastball sits 89-91 with some nice late life but he had trouble locating pretty much all night whcih tells you a lot about the quality and command of his offspeed stuff.

He throws two curveballs, a slow 72-74 MPH one that has nice depth and a hard break and a 78-79 MPH one that's a real hammer. His change is a strikeout pitch and one of the best if not the best one I've seen from an Orioles minor league pitcher.

Very nice debut...

I'll have more tomorrow but I liked what I saw tonight from Matusz for the most part. Basically he's fastball command away from being a very, very effective major league pitcher. His fastball sits 89-91 with some nice late life but he had trouble locating pretty much all night whcih tells you a lot about the quality and command of his offspeed stuff.

He throws two curveballs, a slow 72-4 MPH one that has nice depth and a hard break and a 78-79 MPH one that's a real hammer. His change is a strikeout and one of the best if not the best one I've seen from an Orioles minor league pitcher.

Very nice debut...

Awesome!!! :clap3:

Very exciting to see the kid having some success right out of the gate.

He throws two curveballs, a slow 72-74 MPH one that has nice depth and a hard break and a 78-79 MPH one that's a real hammer. His change is a strikeout pitch and one of the best if not the best one I've seen from an Orioles minor league pitcher.

Very nice debut...

Since we all value your opinion, does "very, very effective major league pitcher" mean ace?"

How would you rate the big 3 now after seeing them this year?

1. Glad he had a good AA debut

2. I thought his combination of stuff/pitchability made him the best pitching prospect in the system coming into the season, and I'm glad to see it's holding true thus far in his first year of pro ball.

3. While I don't blame anyone for being nervous at the start to his season (particularly if you didn't follow him much through college), I'm glad he seems to have won almost everyone over this past month-and-a-half.

He's really a special talent and has everything you look for in a young prospect. Wish him the best and think we're all in for a treat come 2010.

Very nice debut...

Tony,

I hope that you have some comments about Tanaka as well. He worked two innings of effective relief and I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Seems like his delivery/stuff is very hard on righties. As he represents one of this organization's first few Asian signings, I'm interested to know if he could has a future with the big club. I know he wasn't really looked at someone who would have an impact, but he hasn't done anything to embarrass himself so far.

He throws two curveballs, a slow 72-74 MPH one that has nice depth and a hard break and a 78-79 MPH one that's a real hammer. <b>His change is a strikeout pitch and one of the best if not the best one I've seen from an Orioles minor league pitcher.</b>

Very nice debut...

That excites me. An effective change can be a fantastic pitch in the majors if used correctly.

Tony,

I hope that you have some comments about Tanaka as well. He worked two innings of effective relief and I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Seems like his delivery/stuff is very hard on righties. As he represents one of this organization's first few Asian signings, I'm interested to know if he could has a future with the big club. I know he wasn't really looked at someone who would have an impact, but he hasn't done anything to embarrass himself so far.

Yes, I will have more on Tanaka as well. I like him though. Not overwhemling stuff, but good movement.

Archived