MacPhail's worst move for the Orioles

paulcoates

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trading Bradford to the Rays for nothing.

Particularly because it's the Rays. The team that put a claim on Adam Stern just to screw with us and the Red Sox. I know that wasn't on MacPhail's watch, but still.....it makes me mad to give them a gift so soon after screwing with us.

Trading Bradford to the Rays for nothing.

I did not like this move either.

I was okay with bringing Trax back a second time, but it seemed highly unlikely that he would be effective.

I do not know how much effort was put into acquiring a quality SS for or during the 2008 season, but the results were terrible.

It's a small list of mistakes, IMO. AM has made many, many excellent and solid moves to offset the above and has really limited his mistakes. Of course, AM has been in what I call a talent accumulating phase since he got here which, if following that path directly, tends to limit mistakes. In the next year or so, AM is going to have to get serious about putting a winner on the field and will have to make trades and pursue free agents and will be much more likely to make impactful mistakes.

Particularly because it's the Rays. The team that put a claim on Adam Stern just to screw with us and the Red Sox. I know that wasn't on MacPhail's watch, but still.....it makes me mad to give them a gift so soon after screwing with us.

The Rays werent trying to screw with the Orioles with that move. Besides, it was only Adam Stern, nothing important.

This should be a short thread. There have not been many.

Exactly why I started this. MacPhail has done a very very good job so far. If he can make some nice trades this year at the deadline this year, we could bring in a lot more talent.

And maybe Sano?

I think that MacPhail has done something that a lot of GMs have been unable to avoid. He has avoided the really bad moves. A lot of GMs in the past have made some obviously bad moves such as signing Belle, signing Sosa, trading Bautista for Grimsley, etc. MacPhail has avoided this while making a couple of really good trades at the same time with the Bedard and Tejada deals. He may have not been aggressive enough with the FA market the last few years ,but over all I am pleased with his performance.

I'm not one who believes that we as fans need to know everything that is being done in the Warehouse. But, IMO I believe that it has been a big mistake not to clarify what has happened to Mike Flanagan (unless MF asked for that information not to be released and if that is the case - than that should be what is said instead of silence). Mike has done too much for Baltimore Oriole organization and its fans to just disappear in a cloud of dust if you will.

The Rays werent trying to screw with the Orioles with that move. Besides, it was only Adam Stern, nothing important.

I know, it was to get back at the Sox......but we were the only one who was victimized by it. And yes it was just Adam Stern, but I like grudges.

I don't think he's done much of anything wrong trade wise, aside from Bradford which you all mention, but, it is just Bradford. I am not a fan of Eaton or Hendrickson, but I understand he was just trying to get a couple of guys that could hold spots down somewhat respectfully until the big guns in the minors were ready, too bad it couldn't work out that way.

Archived