MacPhail's worst move for the Orioles

paulcoates

Not acquiring a 1b, 3b, or ss of the future. I don't see why he gets a such a free pass from everyone around here seeing as how the team doesn't spend any money and they've been the worst team in the division by a wide margin every year he's been here.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not acquiring a 1b, 3b, or ss of the future. I don't see why he gets a such a free pass from everyone around here seeing as how the team doesn't spend any money and they've been the worst team in the division by a wide margin every year he's been here.

Let's see. We have the OF of the future, C of the future, and most likely rotation of the future. Oh, and 2b is set for a while too.

Did it ever occur to some of you that rebuilding actually takes time?

His most unpopular move was drafting Matusz over Smoak (or, to be more precise, not telling Jordan to get Smoak).
I would have liked to seen the O's take a more polished college player instead of a high school guy with the #5 pick. We might have seen that pick help the O's in a couple of years. Now, Hobgood is a long way from the majors and the O's could have use more immediate help.

I trust that Jordan got a high quality guy, but I also think he took unneccessary risk. A college guy with the #5 pick should have a better chance to make the O's and do it in the shorter period of time.

Drafting is almost entirely Stockstill, so I don't see how these can be pinned on MacPhail.

Adam Eaton. Hands down.

Even worse is that, based on his quotes, they were more or less waiting to acquire him and gave really poor reasons to justify it.

Nothing else, and probably will compare to the Eaton move.

I think the Trachsel move is worse than Eaton, mainly because we gave Trachsel $1M to stink up the place, while we gave Eaton $400K to stink up the place.

If Duquette were still here, do you believe we would've signed t-bag and/or Burnett?

Yes, Duquette was the best GM ever. Though he didn't have Angelos's ear. That is why he couldn't build Rome in a day. If he had Angelos's ear we would have won 3 World Series already.

He gets a free pass on everything.

Someone actually gets it.... The Hill deal isn't realy anything special either.

It was a great deal..Whether it turns out to be something in the "win column" or not is still to be determined..but the deal itself(and the chance AM took) was brilliant.

But yea, AM took too much time in between getting some things done.

People keep jumping on BB for complaining about this but it is very valid.

Now, the difference between what BB and many of us believe is going with youth, talent and upside...BB prefers the known vs the unknown.

I strongly disagree with that thinking...I think we need a good combo of the 2 but you need to build that foundation first and AM is clearly doing that.

It was a great deal..Whether it turns out to be something in the "win column" or not is still to be determined..but the deal itself(and the chance AM took) was brilliant.

But yea, AM took too much time in between getting some things done.

People keep jumping on BB for complaining about this but it is very valid.

Now, the difference between what BB and many of us believe is going with youth, talent and upside...BB prefers the known vs the unknown.

I strongly disagree with that thinking...I think we need a good combo of the 2 but you need to build that foundation first and AM is clearly doing that.

Well my biggest question, maybe this should be aimed at BB, is what could he have done to get us "better" in the long run? I mean he had two major chips to play with and he went all in with both. The return was better than anyone could have hoped for. Since then he really hasn't had many chips to play with. And that is completely due to the ineptitude of previous GM's, IMO.

So I grant you that he hasn't made any significant deals since the Bedard/Tejada fleecing, but I want to know what exactly he could have done to do so. Outside of throwing an extra $50M at T-Bag?

Finally, I have no doubt in my mind that when the need for that last piece(s) is here that AM will spend to get it. For whatever reason, I know he will be willing to do this!

Archived