Looking ahead to 2010

I know it's really early, but it's never too early to start looking at next year's crop, so I'm going to go with a very early top 10 for 2010:

1.Bryce Harper - C, Las Vegas, NV

2.Anthony Ranaudo - SP, LSU

3.Bryce Bentz - 1B/OF, Mid. Tenn. State

4.Matt Harvey - SP, UNC

5.Jarret Parker - OF, UVA

6.Seth Blair - SP, Arizona St.

7.Drew Pomeranz - SP, Ole Miss

8.Christian Colon - SS, Cal St. Fullerton

9.Josh Osich - SP, Oregon St.

10.Brandon Workman - SP, Texas

Keep in mind it's too early to evaluate the HS crop, so you may see another one or two of them pop in here. Looks like a much deeper draft for position players than last year, although still fairly shallow overall. 2011 looks like it could be the deepest in a while.

I know it's really early, but it's never too early to start looking at next year's crop, so I'm going to go with a very early top 10 for 2010:

1.Bryce Harper - C, Las Vegas, NV

2.Anthony Ranaudo - SP, LSU

3.Bryce Bentz - 1B/OF, Mid. Tenn. State

4.Matt Harvey - SP, UNC

5.Jarret Parker - OF, UVA

6.Seth Blair - SP, Arizona

7.Drew Pomeranz - SP, Ole Miss

8.Christian Colon - SS, Cal St. Fullerton

9.Josh Osich - SP, Oregon St.

10.Brandon Workman - SP, Texas

Keep in mind it's too early to evaluate the HS crop, so you may see another one or two of them pop in here. Looks like a much deeper draft for position players than last year, although still fairly shallow overall. 2011 looks like it could be the deepest in a while.

I'm not asking for a full scouting report, but could we at least get a quick tools breakdown? Hypothetical Example because i have no idea.: Harper - plus power, plus arm, above average speed, etc.

Harper- the best H.S. prospect to come along since Joe Mauer, and possibly one of the best in 25 years. Boras client. Only 16 y.o.!

Harvey- Big arm, but poor results at N.C. last year.

Raynaudo- Best, most polished college arm out there. Was terrific last year and would have been 1st round material if draft eligible.

I'm not asking for a full scouting report, but could we at least get a quick tools breakdown? Hypothetical Example because i have no idea.: Harper - plus power, plus arm, above average speed, etc.

Yup, it's coming. But I've learned if you want people to read your blog you need to leave them wanting more. Really, I spent enough time trying to rank them (it's so early you might as well draw names out a hat) that I decided to do the mini write up on them all as a later post. It's coming though.

Yup, it's coming. But I've learned if you want people to read your blog you need to leave them wanting more. Really, I spent enough time trying to rank them (it's so early you might as well draw names out a hat) that I decided to do the mini write up on them all as a later post. It's coming though.

Thanks for your work.

Decent college list. If you do a little digging, you should be able to add 2-4 HSers that have been really incredible so far this summer. Two of them look like solid Top 5 talents (both pitchers).

Yeah, that is what I'm trying to focus on now, just split my time a little too thin. I don't like judging the HS kids until at least after their summer seasons though, too much change in a short period of time. I mean, aside from the freak of nature Bryce Harper.

Yeah, that is what I'm trying to focus on now, just split my time a little too thin. I don't like judging the HS kids until at least after their summer seasons though, too much change in a short period of time. I mean, aside from the freak of nature Bryce Harper.

Got it. I'll be interested to see your write-ups. Thanks!

Harper- the best H.S. prospect to come along since Joe Mauer, and possibly one of the best in 25 years. Boras client. Only 16 y.o.!

Harvey- Big arm, but poor results at N.C. last year.

Raynaudo- Best, most polished college arm out there. Was terrific last year and would have been 1st round material if draft eligible.

Harvey to me seems to have stagnated. He will be a 1st rounder, but doesnt seem to be much different than he was his senior year of HS. 3 quality pitches though.....To me, it seems to be weak in the pitching department, not many high ceiling college pitchers at the top. If we dont continue to stink it up and dont end up getting the #1 pick, I wonder if we are going to still go with a pitcher in 10. I have a feeling we may end up going position player this time unless someone solidifes themself as a top pitcher....

Harvey to me seems to have stagnated. He will be a 1st rounder, but doesnt seem to be much different than he was his senior year of HS. 3 quality pitches though.....To me, it seems to be weak in the pitching department, not many high ceiling college pitchers at the top. If we dont continue to stink it up and dont end up getting the #1 pick, I wonder if we are going to still go with a pitcher in 10. I have a feeling we may end up going position player this time unless someone solidifes themself as a top pitcher....

There are some very interestin HS arms.

Harvey's ranking for me is based on early potential, call him a break-out pick, but I think he will make some strides this season, call it a hunch. If not, there are plenty of other guys.

There are some very interestin HS arms.

Yeah I've been pretty intrigued by Bedrosian, and AJ Cole in particular, like I said, I hate trying to judge HS kids this early though, they can make such huge changes from junior year to summer league to senior year, it frustrates me sometimes :)

Stotle or Allstar, I have a question about two high school kids for 2010.

First, what do you guys know about Jameson Taillon? He's got a great frame around 6-6/6-7, 220 lbs., and his fastball has been clocked in the low to mid 90's.

Also, I was curious about Georgia high school product Trey Griffin. I love his frame and projection, and everything I've seen on the kid screams athlete.

It'll be interesting to see how the high school crop stacks up at the end of the summer, because some of the names I've seen are intriguing. I assume that we'll be picking in the in the top 10-12 next year (maybe higher :() so I guess we should start learning some of these names now lol.

EDIT: One more thing, as it stands now, is there a consensus that Christian Colon is the best available middle infielder? What are some other names to look for at SS? I'd love to take Colon next year, and some former teammates of mine that now play in the Big West were raving about him.

Stotle or Allstar, I have a question about two high school kids for 2010.

First, what do you guys know about Jameson Taillon? He's got a great frame around 6-6/6-7, 220 lbs., and his fastball has been clocked in the low to mid 90's.

Also, I was curious about Georgia high school product Trey Griffin. I love his frame and projection, and everything I've seen on the kid screams athlete.

It'll be interesting to see how the high school crop stacks up at the end of the summer, because some of the names I've seen are intriguing. I assume that we'll be picking in the in the top 10-12 next year (maybe higher :() so I guess we should start learning some of these names now lol.

EDIT: One more thing, as it stands now, is there a consensus that Christian Colon is the best available middle infielder? What are some other names to look for at SS? I'd love to take Colon next year, and some former teammates of mine that now play in the Big West were raving about him.

Griffin has been on the radar for a while, now. Plus speed (6.6ish 60 times at various showcases), solid actions in the field. He's logged some time at SS and in the IF but looks like a future OF.

Taillon has stood out (along with AJ Cole) as one of the top two prep arms in the class. He was mid-90s at the Metrodome this June and secondary stuff looks good.

Both will be playing at the Aflac All-American Game. Haven't seen rosters for the Under Armour All-America Game, yet.

Archived