Bergy's first half

Frobby

16 starts, 104.1 IP (6.52 IP/start), 3.54 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 4.79 K/9, 2.16 BB/9. Also, that's 8 quality starts in his last 9 outings, and a 2.35 ERA over that span. Who saw this coming before spring training? Certainly not me. I was hoping for a serviceable back of the rotation starter. Bergy's been way more than that. Congrats to him and I hope he can keep it up.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's one of the things I'm looking forward to in the 2nd half, to see if he can keep this up.

I feel bad. I keep waiting for him to slip but he keeps churning out good starts.

I guess I still have bad memories of Josh Towers...I can't but help feel that this is the same thing...but I have to think the baseball Gods are finally starting to smile on us.

He's one of the things I'm looking forward to in the 2nd half, to see if he can keep this up.

I feel bad. I keep waiting for him to slip but he keeps churning out good starts.

I guess I still have bad memories of Josh Towers...I can't but help feel that this is the same thing...but I have to think the baseball Gods are finally starting to smile on us.

We all deserve to be a bit suspicious. Orioles and success? doesnt make sense ;)

Lets just enjoy his 2nd half, i think all of baltimore is cheering him on

This guy from BP liked his first half enough to name him as midseason AL ROY.

Interesting. Looks like there's gonna be a serious race for the AL ROY this year...Berg, Reimold, Romero, Porcello, Andrew Bailey...

Berg has more innings than any of the pitchers so far, though.

Would be amazing if he could keep up this pace that he's been on.

Interesting. Looks like there's gonna be a serious race for the AL ROY this year...Berg, Reimold, Romero, Porcello, Andrew Bailey...

Berg has more innings than any of the pitchers so far, though.

Would be amazing if he could keep up this pace that he's been on.

Don't forget Wieters...I have a feeling that before all is said and done, that he will be in the discussion.

American League Rookie of the Year: Brad Bergesen, Orioles

Bergesen is considered by many to be a placeholder in the Orioles’ rotation until such top prospects as Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, and Jake Arrieta reach the majors (either later this season or in 2010). However, Bergesen is going to be a tough guy to unseat considering he is 5-3 with a 3.59 ERA in 15 starts, with 5.3 WARP3 and 21.7 VORP.

The rest of the ballot: 2. Elvis Andrus, Rangers; 3. Ricky Romero, Blue Jays

Thanks. The writer really does rate Bergeson very highly. I'm still thinking that Wieters will catch fire and nab ROY honors by the end of the season.

Don't forget Wieters...I have a feeling that before all is said and done, that he will be in the discussion.

I'm surprised at how many people are not even considering him a late jump.

However, he'd have to have an excellent second half, so I guess it's not that absurd.

I wouldn't rule him out at all though.

I haven't seen it so far from Weiters. He'll have to go on a tear to even get consideration. At this point he's just living on his name and hype, not anything he's done on the field or at the plate. Been a disappointment so far, hopefully he turns it on.

The disconnect here. From FRobby's OP... Who, out of ST, or even better yet, since last New Year's Eve, would have even dared to think about "Bergeson's first half?"

And be this excited? His "first half" at BEST was supposed to be to pitch enough not terrible innings to stretch out Eaton and others.

Manna from heaven.

His innings pitched is a double-edged sword. It has been a very welcome relief but it's something that also needs to be monitored. Between Norfolk and Baltimore, he's at 115.1 and last season was his minor league high at 165. Come September, we may need to space out his starts a bit more.

Archived