What young pitching would you deal?

bigbird

It's too early to stray from the philosophy that has gotten us to the point of optimism. Trade Huff, Mora, Wiggington or Scott for prospects. Suck it up for the rest of the year and sign their replacements before next year. Keep pouring the prospects into the minors. We are turning a corner but are not going to compete for another couple of years. I would not trade any pitching, especially Bergensen. He reminds me of a right handed McGregor.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I do think there's a good chance, even if Bergesen continues as he has done so far.

Bergesen would have a lot of value this winter if he keeps this up. In service time, money, and value, he would be what every team wants. I wouldn't fire-sale him by any means, but I would be open to a top notch offer that would add to the core group of players at a position of need.

I don't think he will but if Bergesen continues as he has done so far, .600 winning percentage and a 3.5 era, would he not be considered elite? While I agree that DH seems likely to have the better career my opinion would change if this version of Bergy is real.

If someone like Joey Votto or a similar top-notch young 3B is available, then I'd be willing to package together 2-4 (depending on the players) of pretty much anyone except:

Matusz

Tillman

Erbe (think he could be a quality closer/setup man)

Britton

Weiters

Bergesen

DH

Jones

BRob

Markakis

Pie (due to perceived vs. real value)

JJ

Caleb Joseph

Brandon Waring

one of Zaun or Moeller

Guthrie (I think we need to wait until next year's trade deadline at least until we think about getting rid of him)

and obviously all of our most recent draft picks since they can't be traded anyway.

I think we should be able to get a great young player at a position of need from a package consisting of a couple of Huff, Scott, Arrieta, Patton, Hoes, Avery, Reimold, Sherrill, Baez, and Wigginton

The big 3 should be untouchable in my opinion. Offense isn't our problem. Bergesen, as an innings eater type would be a nice 4 in the league. We just don't have enough pitching

Like they say, for every pitcher you THINK you have, 1 will be good, 1 will get injured, and 1 will bomb. If I am optimistic, and 2 of those pan out, then we still have a really long way to go before catching up with the teams in the top half of the division.

We fold like a house of cards when we play Bos and NYY.

That being said, I really dont get the hype for Erbe. I'd trade him despite being a home town boy.

Who is they? We'll be deeply unlucky if we don't get MLB value out of two of Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta.

If someone like Joey Votto or a similar top-notch young 3B is available, then I'd be willing to package together 2-4 (depending on the players) of pretty much anyone except:

Matusz

Tillman

Erbe (think he could be a quality closer/setup man)

Britton

Weiters

Bergesen

DH

Jones

BRob

Markakis

Pie (due to perceived vs. real value)

JJ

Caleb Joseph

Brandon Waring

one of Zaun or Moeller

Guthrie (I think we need to wait until next year's trade deadline at least until we think about getting rid of him)

and obviously all of our most recent draft picks since they can't be traded anyway.

I think we should be able to get a great young player at a position of need from a package consisting of a couple of Huff, Scott, Arrieta, Patton, Hoes, Avery, Reimold, Sherrill, Baez, and Wigginton

Wait a minute..let me read that again. Um, you wouldn't trade Moeller but you would trade Reimold? We still have Moeller?

It's hard to say without knowing who we could get in return. Lets say the Cards hold on to Wallace and decide he isn't good enough defensively to play 3rd. He'd have what's his name blocking him at first. I wouldn't trade Matusz or Tillman for him. I'd wince but probably trade Arrieta or Britton and anyone else for sure.

BTW: Has Britton moved ahead of Arrietta in terms of long-term potential? If he hasn't, the gap is closing.

Wait a minute..let me read that again. Um, you wouldn't trade Moeller but you would trade Reimold? We still have Moeller?

Lol...yes, we still have Moeller in Norfolk. And yes, I would rather trade Reimold than Moeller. Moeller has no value, except as a backup catcher to us if we trade Zaun. Whereas, I believe that Pie will still be the better LF in the long-term. But, I feel Reimold has more value due to his play so far. And, I'm not sold on Reimold being here for an extended period of time. If trading him means we get a Votto-type, then bye bye, nice knowing you for the brief period I've known ya. Now, I wouldn't trade him for say Teahen, I would need a very good to great player coming back for me to put him in a package.

I hope that clarifies things a bit...

I really believe the O's need to begin looking into trading some young suspects for other needs. I look at it like this.... say we have 15 young pitchers who are all decent prospects. At this point all would have some sort of trade value. We would be taking advantage of those assets in some way. Now lets say we do nothing and wait to see if they are productive at the major league level or flop. If productive we've taken advantage of those assets. If they flop which most will we end up with nothing for those assets.

Our talent projection seems to be lacking in some area. Too many guys like Riley, Penn, Liz, etc have come through the system with high expectations and have either ended up injured or not productive. I know we got a player for Penn but just think if he was traded when the value was higher. It's a game of chance and the Orioles don't seem to be the gambling kind.

So, despite Bergesen's impressive numbers this year, most people still think Hernandez will have the more successful major league career?

I think DH's career might be more dynamic. DH has the potential to strike out a lot of guys which could help him avoid the big inning. Sure, Bergy might be more consistent but I think the way DH is progressing now, he could have some very impressive starts. At the same time he might be more susceptible to getting shellacked every now and then when he doesn't have his stuff.

Our talent projection seems to be lacking in some area. Too many guys like Riley, Penn, Liz, etc have come through the system with high expectations and have either ended up injured or not productive.

Was doesn't mean is.

I know we got a player for Penn but just think if he was traded when the value was higher. It's a game of chance and the Orioles don't seem to be the gambling kind.

It's more difficult to justify putting $1000 on black 13 when you're on food stamps than when you're making $100,000 a month.

I really believe the O's need to begin looking into trading some young suspects for other needs. I look at it like this.... say we have 15 young pitchers who are all decent prospects. At this point all would have some sort of trade value. We would be taking advantage of those assets in some way. Now lets say we do nothing and wait to see if they are productive at the major league level or flop. If productive we've taken advantage of those assets. If they flop which most will we end up with nothing for those assets.

Our talent projection seems to be lacking in some area. Too many guys like Riley, Penn, Liz, etc have come through the system with high expectations and have either ended up injured or not productive. I know we got a player for Penn but just think if he was traded when the value was higher. It's a game of chance and the Orioles don't seem to be the gambling kind.

Penn is one example. Maine is another. Sometimes when you trade young talent you get to watch it perform well for someone else and the player you received is the one that flops.

I would not trade Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Guthrie, Bergy, Hernandez or Britton.

Trading Baez, Bass, Sarfate makes sense. I know that the return is not what you are looking for but I think that is where the O's are in the development cycle.

MacPhail is trying to get an overwhelming offer for Sherrill. If he does he trades. If he doesn't Sherrill stays. The O's win either way. I like that approach.

Was doesn't mean is.

It's more difficult to justify putting $1000 on black 13 when you're on food stamps than when you're making $100,000 a month.

I believe our revenue flow is closer to the $100K a month than food stamps.

Archived