What young pitching would you deal?

bigbird

You didn't answer the question, JTrea. San Diego says that's what it takes. Take it or leave it. Do you pull the trigger on Reimold/Tillman/Arrieta for Adrian Gonzalez? No extension in place either.

It'd be tough if it was just those three, but I'd leave it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a terrible trade for the Orioles. Why would we give up a rookie everyday player and two of our three best prospects for a guy only signed for two more years who has only been good, not great, up until this year? I wouldn't make that deal for Pujols.

That would be a terrible trade for the Orioles. Why would we give up a rookie everyday player and two of our three best prospects for a guy only signed for two more years who has only been good, not great, up until this year? I wouldn't make that deal for Pujols.

That's easy. Because you're obsessive, irrational, myopic and should be kept far away from an Orioles FO.

I'd try to steer them towards, one of Tillman/Arrieta, Reimold, Snyder and Britton for example.

No way would I give that up for Adrian Gonzalez.

I'd much rather wait a little for Snyder and keep Britton, Tillman/Arrieta, and Reimold.

No way would I give that up for Adrian Gonzalez.

I'd much rather wait a little for Snyder and keep Britton, Tillman/Arrieta, and Reimold.

The longer we wait, the longer it is until we compete. What happens if Snyder can't hack it?

Townsend is probably 2-3 years away at best.

It all comes down to when do you want to compete? At some point you've to take a risk and trade some of your possible future to win in the present.

Right now if we keep waiting, Boston and the Yankees will only get stronger, ditto for the other teams in the AL East.

If Toronto trades Halladay, they could become very good, young and talented very quickly...

The longer we wait, the longer it is until we compete. What happens if Snyder can't hack it?

It all comes down to when do you want to compete? At some point you've to take a risk and trade some of your possible future to win in the present.

Right now if we keep waiting, Boston and the Yankees will only get stronger, ditto for the other teams in the AL East.

If Toronto trades Halladay, they could become very good, young and talented very quickly...

Yeah, but like another poster said, Gonzales is only gonna be with us 2 more years unless we'd resign him.

Most posters believe we won't be competing next year, but the year after. And that's under the assumption we have the big 3 in the rotation.

So you give away 2 of them and get Gonzales. How do we compete with him, but no pitching in 2 years? Then, he leaves... what do we have? Matusz and no more Arrieta or Tillman.

I would be wholly against that trade if it was Arrieta AND Tillman.

That's easy. Because you're obsessive, irrational, myopic and should be kept far away from an Orioles FO.

I hope you are joking...because I disagree...Eight is right...You don't just trade away young talent like that...Reimold, Arrieta, and Tillman...Did you see my post? I compared similarly ranked pitching prospects from 2006 (to see how they turned out)...and...Tillman corresponded to Matt Cain, Matusz to Jon Lester, and Arrieta to Mike Pelfrey.

I realize they are different types of players but that is the level of talent we are looking at...would you trade Cain, Pelfrey, and our best hitting prospect, Reimold for one 27 year old 1st basemen having a career year (27 is the statistically proven age that players have their best year)? I would think that would be the reverse of the Bedard trade for one guy in his prime. I don't care what his OPS is or how many HRs he's hit...You'd essentially be trading away our potential future ace, another solid pitcher, and our best hitting prospect for one guy in his prime. Any team would rather have Tillman, Arrieta, and Reimold. You would think, epecially one with our current pitching situation.

We aren't looking for 1 chip to compete, we are looking for our talent in the minors to develop and help us compete. It is a stance we have taken as an organization...trading any of it away would be a step back and off the track AM has led us on.

Yeah, but the other side of that coin, is that you never have a future if you make the wrong moves (at the wrong time) for the present.

And if you hold onto prospects too long, they can lose trade value. We've seen it plenty of times.

And as I said, so would I...

My bad, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was going against what you were saying as if I believed you were saying something else.

I was just responding to your statement in regards to how much young talent would we give up.

I agree with you about what you said before.

And as I said, so would I...
“In baseball, if you convince yourself you need a certain player, you’ve already lost. One player doesn’t have that much impact,” said Epstein. “It’s about building organizations. It’s not about adding players"

There are other ways to find a first baseman, ways that don't require us to give up most of the farm.

There are much, much better options to fill 1B than giving 4 players with that kind of talent.

AGonz is a good first baseman, but I wouldn't consider him elite. We would be giving up a Halladay-esque package to get him.

That would be the steal of the century for San Diego.

There are other ways to find a first baseman, ways that don't require us to give up most of the farm.

There are much, much better options to fill 1B than giving 4 players with that kind of talent.

AGonz is a good first baseman, but I wouldn't consider him elite. We would be giving up a Halladay-esque package to get him.

That would be the steal of the century for San Diego.

2nd in HR, 1st in BB in the NL and he plays in a pitcher's park.

He could hit 40+ at OPACY and have a .380-.400 OBP. How is that not elite? And that's not mentioning his defense.

If we can win with him, I'm sure he'd extend if we offer him a market value contract. The AL East is a prime landing spot and OPACY is the perfect hitter's park for him, much better than Boston which hurts LH hitters.

“In baseball, if you convince yourself you need a certain player, you’ve already lost. One player doesn’t have that much impact,” said Epstein. “It’s about building organizations. It’s not about adding players"

Rep to you.

If anyone thinks getting Gonzalez is going to make is a contender, they are sorely mistaken.

If Scott could learn 1st base(which he should be able to), he will likely outproduce AGonz.

Archived