What young pitching would you deal?

bigbird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really believe the O's need to begin looking into trading some young suspects for other needs. I look at it like this.... say we have 15 young pitchers who are all decent prospects. At this point all would have some sort of trade value. We would be taking advantage of those assets in some way. Now lets say we do nothing and wait to see if they are productive at the major league level or flop. If productive we've taken advantage of those assets. If they flop which most will we end up with nothing for those assets.

Our talent projection seems to be lacking in some area. Too many guys like Riley, Penn, Liz, etc have come through the system with high expectations and have either ended up injured or not productive. I know we got a player for Penn but just think if he was traded when the value was higher. It's a game of chance and the Orioles don't seem to be the gambling kind.

But our new pitching prospects are different!:D They will all have a long and prosperous career :).

Patton and Erbe are the guys I'd be willing to deal. Keep the Big 3.

These are the two including Spooyne that I wouldn't trade because their trade value are at the very bottom, plus nobody would give you anything of value right now. They would be stealing if you did deal them.

I think nobody on the 40 man or in our organization should be untouchable. Should there be guys that we should think long and hard before offering them up in a trade, absolutely (maybe Wieters). But you should be doing that for everyone anyways. You have trade something of value to get something of value.

Should we completely gut our pitching farm system to get one positional player like Braun or Longoria, absolutely not. We are not 1 player away.

Would I consider doing a trade like the DRays and Twins, when Garza and DYoung got traded. Yes, but those are pretty tough to do since teams are scared to trade their top prospects, even if it is for another top prospect for fear of losing the next great thing.

Would I consider trading any of the Big 3 for a guy like Elvis Andrus and Stephen Drew. Yes I would if our scouting department like the guy.

Remember, always think in the shoes of the other team when making deals also in addition to your point of view. Once you start moving to the point where you think the deal is fair, to debatable, or to tough. That is when the deal is probably "fair" for both sides. Just a thought.

Longtime reader.

I really believe the O's need to begin looking into trading some young suspects for other needs. I look at it like this.... say we have 15 young pitchers who are all decent prospects. At this point all would have some sort of trade value. We would be taking advantage of those assets in some way. Now lets say we do nothing and wait to see if they are productive at the major league level or flop. If productive we've taken advantage of those assets. If they flop which most will we end up with nothing for those assets.

Our talent projection seems to be lacking in some area. Too many guys like Riley, Penn, Liz, etc have come through the system with high expectations and have either ended up injured or not productive. I know we got a player for Penn but just think if he was traded when the value was higher. It's a game of chance and the Orioles don't seem to be the gambling kind.

You can add Jimmy Haynes and Rocky Coppinger (won't add Nerio Rod) to that list for every Mike Mussina or Arthur Rhodes. But you could make the exact opposite statement from that. You need to stock pile all the pitching you possibly can to deal with those fizz outs.

I wouldn't trade Tillman, Matusz or Britton. Britton would be the most untradeable to me b/c I don't think his value his high enough outside of the organization to justify it. Everyone knows about the Big 3, but since Britton doesn't get the credit he deserves it might be selling low to move him.

I wouldn't trade Tillman, Matusz or Britton. Britton would be the most untradeable to me b/c I don't think his value his high enough outside of the organization to justify it. Everyone knows about the Big 3, but since Britton doesn't get the credit he deserves it might be selling low to move him.

Well, you wouldn't trade him if you get very little in return.

Well, you wouldn't trade him if you get very little in return.

Right, if I got more than I thought he was worth, then obviously I would trade him. However, I don't think we would get what he is worth in a trade, so I don't think it would be a good idea to consider moving him right now.

I believe our revenue flow is closer to the $100K a month than food stamps.
He's talking about talent, not actual revenue.

Right. The O's had very little young talent for years. It didn't make a lot of sense to trade what they had. What, you were going to deal a young Hayden Penn to fill the holes at 1B, SS, LF/CF, DH, C, starter and reliever?

Right, if I got more than I thought he was worth, then obviously I would trade him. However, I don't think we would get what he is worth in a trade, so I don't think it would be a good idea to consider moving him right now.

But isn't this always the case for any player?

I think there needs to blanket common sense thing when discussing trading players...and that is that you only move them if you get an acceptable return.

But isn't this always the case for any player?I think there needs to blanket common sense thing when discussing trading players...and that is that you only move them if you get an acceptable return.

Sure, but the point I was making is that I don't think Britton is valued as highly outside of the organization as he should be. Therefore, he's not likely to bring back his actual value in a trade. If this is the case, then I wouldn't trade him.

None. To trade any of the young pitching away would fly in the face of AM's strategy.

Exactly. MacPhail has said that at least half of the pitching prospects will not pan out for whatever reason so it's important to build an inventory. Trading away that inventory when you don't know which ones will pan out is a risk not worth taking given how far this organization has come.

Once the O's have 3 legit starters (multiple #2 or #3 starters), then it might be worth the gamble to get young positional talent. But not yet.

From a risk/reward standpoint, I'd rather wait until some of our young pitchers are more established before thinking of trading any of them. We don't know exactly how many will pan out, and I'd rather develop a confirmed surplus and trade from it than assume we have a surplus and start trading before we really know how many we need to keep to have an excellent rotation. For every pitcher who we hold on to who disappoints us, there's likely to be one we hold on to who meets or exceeds expectations, and on balance, I think we will get more value from the group by holding and then trading, rather than trading now. And, I want to be sure we keep enough for ourselves. As the saying goes, "you can't ever have too much pitching," and I think there's a lot of truth to that statement.

Archived