If Trembley is gone after this year ...

TonySoprano

Oddly, as the season goes on, I actually find myself being more supportive of Trembley. I think the clubhouse and players are, for the large part, behind him. I think he's handled some of the problems that have cropped up very nicely. Can't find the quote, but I know Brian Roberts had a pretty strong quote that favored DT. Contrast that with his lack of support regarding Perlozzo. He's also handled the Mora situation well.

I think his bullpen management has also been much better. He seems more willing to let guys work for longer amounts of time. The only thing I really question is his bench management.

In short, I'd really like to see Trembley back next year, at this point. I'm sure the O's are going to wait and see how the club finishes. But I believe that most of the club is behind him, and that he deserves a chance to see it through with some actual talented ballplayers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Martinez is the perfect fit to be the next manager of the O's....

1) Tampa bench coach has been a part of changing the losing culture

2) Young and former player thus can relate to today's ball player

3) Knows the AL EAST

4) Learned from Joe Madden who demands 100% effort (see Upton getting benched last year)

He would be a perfect fit

Dave Martinez is the perfect fit to be the next manager of the O's....

1) Tampa bench coach has been a part of changing the losing culture

2) Young and former player thus can relate to today's ball player

3) Knows the AL EAST

4) Learned from Joe Madden who demands 100% effort (see Upton getting benched last year)

He would be a perfect fit

I like this suggestion. There's a lot to be said for someone who's coached under a successful manager. Not only that, but he witnessed first hand the rise of the Rays in 08 and knows what it should look like.

There's too much emphasis around here on bringing in a new temperament. Look around the majors right now....not 10-20 years ago....and see how many "fiery" successful managers there are currently. Not many. Guillen in Chicago is the best example and he's not seen a Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa type of success.

On another note, I'll bet that Trembley's got until September 1st to start turning this thing around. At that point, AM starts having behind-the-scenes discussions with potential candidates. Who knows, maybe he's already having those discussions now. One thing we know for sure is that AM prepares and seemingly never makes knee-jerk reactions.

I like the Dave Martinez vote.

My vote, should you choose to accept it, would be....

Don Mattingly

I doubt he ever leaves a Yankee uniform. That being said, he is the model of work ethic, I think he is even tempered, is well versed with the media, and could get a little "nasty" if he had to. He didn't have exceptional talent (he was good, but not great). Most of his "skill" came from going out before every game and hitting a ball off a tee.

He is most likely the heir apparent to Joey G, but his baseball knowledge, and intangible skill set make him an obvious choice for a manager position.

My vote, should you choose to accept it, would be....

Don Mattingly

I doubt he ever leaves a Yankee uniform. That being said, he is the model of work ethic, I think he is even tempered, is well versed with the media, and could get a little "nasty" if he had to. He didn't have exceptional talent (he was good, but not great). Most of his "skill" came from going out before every game and hitting a ball off a tee.

He is most likely the heir apparent to Joey G, but his baseball knowledge, and intangible skill set make him an obvious choice for a manager position.

He's the Dodgers hitting coach and he left once Girardi got the job.

I like Allenson as a candidate, but Hurdle would be a disaster. He's one of the worst managers I've ever seen.

Don't you think the fact the Rockies went from one of the worst teams in baseball to one of the best teams in baseball immediately after he was fired doesn't at least speak a little bit towards his ineptitude as a manager?

No to Allenson. No more promoting people from a 12 year losing culture. I realize he hasn't been a part of the losing of the big club, but if we do make a change I want a completely new staff made up of people not currently in the organization.

Dave Martinez was a great idea by Neusbaum IMO.

Hurdle was the manager that got them to the World Series.

The Rockies as an organization have developed a habit of coming out of nowhere and going on insane winning streaks its like their entire organization is a second-half team.

It's not a habit or a trend if it happens twice, and when one of the times it's under a different manager. The rosters of the two teams were quite different.

This season, Hurdle was terrible at putting out the best lineup to win. He constantly moved his lineup around and he didn't allow his young players to develop roles. I think he's absolutely incompetent, and along with Ned Yost was one of the two worst managers in baseball over the past 5 years. Yost also had winning teams in 2007 and 2008 (including getting fired with a winning record in 2008), but he did it despite himself, just like Hurdle.

Archived