I don't want to say anything but.....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually we're number 4; behind the Nats, K.C., and San Diego. That might be good enough to land Strasburg. I don't see K.C. spending the money and I'm doubtful that San Diego would put up that kind of cash either.

Trolling is disallowed, my fellow posters...

The fact of the matter is that we are in a position to get a top two choice from our poor play, and while many would prefer to not hear it, or read about it, it is true. It is a valid point of interest, or perhaps more importantly to some -concern. To be clear... in no way, shape or form, would I advocate rooting for the team to lose. Regardless, the losing is a precursor to something much better, and I'll continue to watch our young talent forge ahead to better days.

Let's face it. They're not getting any top free agents and trades for real difference makers are going to cost too much. We need that SI kid and there's only one way to get him.

Wait until the Nationals can't sign him and get him when he falls due to signability the next year?

And really? You're banking the team's future on one guy who not only isn't here yet but is still a year away from being eligible for the draft? Really? Really?

How about you root for the team to get on a roll going into the offseason and give our young guys some confidence for 2010 instead of actively wanting to see them fail. Because every thread that even suggests tanking is doing just that.

It's disgusting.

Trolling is disallowed, my fellow posters...

The fact of the matter is that we are in a position to get a top two choice from our poor play, and while many would prefer to not hear it, or read about it, it is true. It is a valid point of interest, or perhaps more importantly to some -concern.

And it is true that supporting tanking, especially when it comes to the baseball draft, is...I honestly can't find a word for how bad I think it is.

I'm certainly not rooting for this to happen and would like to see us win games the rest of the year.

But if not Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper is a nice consolation prize. That's all I'm saying.

And BTW, I'd give the Nats about a 10% chance right now to sign Strasburg.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Fred Biletnikoff!  King of Stick.  Lol.  The refs hated him because every time he touched the ball it got the gook all over it and then the refs got it all over themselves.  Lol  And I agree that it should be allowed in a modest way in MLB. Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. What year was it before they started checking Pitchers after every half inning for sticky substances?  There was a year where it was pretty clear that pitchers were using something... tacki-goo?  I forget what year that was.  Were arm injuries up that year?  It might sway me a little if they were, but otherwise I don't think the the firmness of the grip is indicative of the spin.  The firmness of the grip is the control of the ball itself.  A harder grip would diminish spin.  Think of it as "english" in tennis.  The racquet glances the ball, but its the speed of the racquet that determines the spin.
    • We could be the Astros who have won 2 WS appeared in another. And been to what FIVE consecutive ALCS? With the extreme approach that we took to amass this kind of talent, I would rather set the bar high. We didn’t need to undergo the misery of extreme tanking just to have a team that could qualify for the playoffs each year. The Brewers and Guardians have that and they didn’t employ the extreme tank tactics. What we did forced MLB to change the rules to prevent it from being done again.
    • Agree.  It’s almost universal amongst all sports that size is valued when evaluating amateurs for projection.  
    • Burnes, Westburg, Ohearn, Grayson, Kimbrel, Santander. In that order.
    • I don’t think it’s a big deal about the report that the Orioles made a call about Crochet. That’s just Elias doing his job and professional due diligence. I’m sure he has and is making a lot of “calls”. I also don’t see teams like KC or SEA trading their best pitchers for players like Mountcastle, Urias, Hays, etc. That is a net negative for those teams. They are actually trying to win too and have very smart people running their orgs. The chances of us shedding spare parts for prime time pieces are very very slim. It is not likely that we are going to swindle anyone. It’s more likely to be a value for value exchange.
    • My preference is to be good for 10 years.  The best teams rarely wins.  Let’s be consistent like the Ravens in 2007-2012 and win one.  Or the Braves.  Make a move for a great reliever, sure, but that shouldn’t cost the elite talent.
    • Son of a gun.  I was just going to find Frobby’s double digit strikeout thread and post this.  😀
  • Popular Contributors