And with their first pick in the 2010 draft, the O's select...

The season isn't over (therefore, the draft order hasn't been finalized), but when has that stopped us from making predictions before. :D

Since the O's will probably have a Top 5 pick, a) who do you think will still be available and b) who do you think the O's will draft?

Here's a good reference for the *premium* talent available in the 2010 draft. ;)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/early-draft-preview/2009/268869.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm having a hard time picking between Andrew Cole and Jameson Taillon; however, I'll go with the latter, if only for the Roger Clemens comparison. ;)

http://baseball.uaallamerica.com/pub/Athlete/Jameson-Taillon

The biggest difference between the 2 from what I can tell is that Cole has a usable 3rd pitch and Taillon does not, if Taillon can develop a usable 3rd pitch, I like him more. But they both have a plus breaking pitch to go along with the hard fastball. Theres another guy I think his name is Covey who is possibly up there with Bedrosian, Taillon and Cole as well. And even though here Allstar is leaning toward Cole, Ive heard a few other places leaning toward Taillon, but at this point, they are all so closely rated its impossible to tell who will end up the top HS arm. Both Taillon and Cole are very projectable still and could add more velo even.

The biggest difference between the 2 from what I can tell is that Cole has a usable 3rd pitch and Taillon does not, if Taillon can develop a usable 3rd pitch, I like him more. But they both have a plus breaking pitch to go along with the hard fastball. Theres another guy I think his name is Covey who is possibly up there with Bedrosian, Taillon and Cole as well. And even though here Allstar is leaning toward Cole, Ive heard a few other places leaning toward Taillon, but at this point, they are all so closely rated its impossible to tell who will end up the top HS arm. Both Taillon and Cole are very projectable still and could add more velo even.

This isn't true. I'd rank (and project) Taillon's change-up to be better than Cole's at this point. He gets more depth and, I think, shows more feel. I've also seen a slider from Taillon that shows plus potential.

Covey's curve is very impressive with big time depth. I'd go Taillon, Cole, Whitson as the top three prep arms at this point. Tago might have the most fastball life I've seen this summer. Loose arm and excellent late run.

Right now I like Christian Colon if we go for a position player. A lot will depend on how much he improves next season. He could rise or fall very fast IMO. If we go pitcher though, I really like what I saw last year from Anthony Ranaudo. I think that guy has TOR written all over him.

Right now I like Christian Colon if we go for a position player. A lot will depend on how much he improves next season. He could rise or fall very fast IMO. If we go pitcher though, I really like what I saw last year from Anthony Ranaudo. I think that guy has TOR written all over him.

Hopefully Colon's rehab comes along quickly. He was a potential top 5 pick right up until the pentultimate game of the summer (semis against Team Canada). Solid and safe in a largely down college positional group.

Bryce Brentz

In his first year, Brentz was a collegiate freshman All-American. In his second year, Brentz’s average actually rose and so did his homer run total. Brentz has the most raw power in a draft class which is already loaded with power, and has incredible bat command and even better bat speed. While Brentz is an outfielder, I don’t think he’ll end up sticking there, as for a guy with his power and hands, he profiles more like a first baseman at the big league level.

Bryce Brentz

In his first year' date=' Brentz was a collegiate freshman All-American. In his second year, Brentz’s average actually rose and so did his homer run total. Brentz has the most raw power in [b']a draft class which is already loaded with power[/b], and has incredible bat command and even better bat speed. While Brentz is an outfielder, I don’t think he’ll end up sticking there, as for a guy with his power and hands, he profiles more like a first baseman at the big league level.

Can you please elaborate on this. From what I've read, this draft is completely deficient of positional talent. Also, if Brentz profiles as a first baseman, that actually lowers his value because it's a less valued position then a corner outfielder.

Can you please elaborate on this. From what I've read, this draft is completely deficient of positional talent. Also, if Brentz profiles as a first baseman, that actually lowers his value because it's a less valued position then a corner outfielder.

I got that from a website. My bad, I thought I "Quoted" it.

I never heard he profiles as a 1B, I just heard his fielding isnt too hot right now. But Stotle mentioned that he should get better.....

This isn't true. I'd rank (and project) Taillon's change-up to be better than Cole's at this point. He gets more depth and, I think, shows more feel. I've also seen a slider from Taillon that shows plus potential.

Covey's curve is very impressive with big time depth. I'd go Taillon, Cole, Whitson as the top three prep arms at this point. Tago might have the most fastball life I've seen this summer. Loose arm and excellent late run.

Then the only thing that Cole seems to have on Taillon is more projectablility, who has the better command at this point?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived