NCAA Football week 8

Big Mac

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who won the last three national titles?

Florida, LSU, Florida...TOP Tier teams in the SEC...don't even try and say Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Ole Miss until recently are anyhere near quality teams

Florida, LSU, Florida...TOP Tier teams in the SEC...don't even try and say Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Ole Miss until recently are anyhere near quality teams

The middle-tier teams in the SEC are as good or better than in any other conference.

The middle-tier teams in the SEC are as good or better than in any other conference.

I would agree that in most years this is accurate. But mrbig's assertion that there are no lesser teams in the league - that their is no bottom-tier is hyperbole at its finest.

My only problem with the conference (which btw I do think is the best most years) is the sense of entitlement from programs when called on their schedule... The "we play an SEC schedule so we are entitled to schedule more cupcake OOC games" approach is one that I think is wrongheaded. I think it's good for the game for Alabama to play VT. I think it's bad for the game UF to refuse to play Miami and instead play a schedule with Charleston Southern, FIU and Troy.

I agree with this, although I'm not sure how true that is this year. It also seems like every conference's middle and lower tier teams are down this year as well though. Other than Alabama, Florida and maybe LSU there isn't a team in the conference that is guaranteed a win over the middle and lesser teams in the Pac-10, ACC, Big 10, etc. this year.

I would agree that in most years this is accurate. But mrbig's assertion that there are no lesser teams in the league - that their is no bottom-tier is hyperbole at its finest.

My only problem with the conference (which btw I do think is the best most years) is the sense of entitlement from programs when called on their schedule... The "we play an SEC schedule so we are entitled to schedule more cupcake OOC games" approach is one that I think is wrongheaded. I think it's good for the game for Alabama to play VT. I think it's bad for the game UF to refuse to play Miami and instead play a schedule with Charleston Southern, FIU and Troy.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to geschinger again."

Sir, I believe it was Miami who refuse to play the Gators. Every team in the SEC brings there A game when playing Bama,LSU,or Florida. I don't care if Bama is 10-0 and Auburn is 0-10 It would still be a hard fought game.

Sir, I believe it was Miami who refuse to play the Gators. Every team in the SEC brings there A game when playing Bama,LSU,or Florida. I don't care if Bama is 10-0 and Auburn is 0-10 It would still be a hard fought game.

except last year, Roll Tide.

As opposed to Oregon St, Washington and UCLA, who basically sleepwalk through their games with USC knowing they have no chance.

As opposed to Oregon St' date=' Washington and UCLA, who basically sleepwalk through their games with USC knowing they have no chance.[/quote']

This is a valid point.

I think the Pac-10 is probably the second best conference, but I still think the SEC is stronger.

This is a valid point.

I think the Pac-10 is probably the second best conference, but I still think the SEC is stronger.

This year, the Pac-10 may be second best....and yes, the SEC is #1 again this year.

My comment was more in response to the ludicrous assertion that the SEC is the only conference in which the lower teams "bring their A game" when facing the top teams in the conference. The truth is, it happens in every conference. It is much less pronounced in conferences like the Big East and ACC, whose best teams seem to fluctuate with each year. But in the other BCS conferences, every team is fired up even more than usual when they get their shot at the top dog.

This year' date=' the Pac-10 may be second best....and yes, the SEC is #1 again this year.

My comment was more in response to the ludicrous assertion that the SEC is the only conference in which the lower teams "bring their A game" when facing the top teams in the conference. The truth is, it happens in every conference. It is much less pronounced in conferences like the Big East and ACC, whose best teams seem to fluctuate with each year. But in the other BCS conferences, every team is fired up even more than usual when they get their shot at the top dog.[/quote']

Very true.

It's different in the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten because they don't have elite teams like the SEC, Pac-10 and Big 12.

Very true.

It's different in the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten because they don't have elite teams like the SEC, Pac-10 and Big 12.

Right. Although I would say it has as much to do with how established a conference is too. Even though the Big 10 has not been a top tier conference the past several years (although some voters always seem to think otherwise :rolleyes:) you can bet that the Indiana's and Northwestern's get fired up when they get to play Ohio St or Michigan, because they have been teams that over history have established dominance in the conference, even if they aren't as strong nationally. You could even argue that some ACC teams are getting great enjoyment right now from kicking Florida State while they're down, given how they owned the conference throughout the 90's.

But your point is right, the SEC, Big 12 and Pac-10 have the combination of established dominance in-conference by one or more teams, and said teams are also among the top in the country this year.

Very true.

I have to take issue w/the statement that the Big East does not have elite teams like the SEC, Pac-10 and B12. In recent years we've seen the best the Big East has to offer run for almost 400 yards against the SEC Champion in the Sugar Bowl. We saw the best the Big East has to offer blow out the best the B12 has to offer. There are good arguments that can be made that the SEC is the best conference in many (most?) years but this is not one of 'em

Archived