Viviano Show Question O's/Phils

o'sfan2009

Ask any Phillie fan if they would rather have Nick Markakis in the lineup during the WS over Jason Werth. That is all I am saying. Right now he is the better player.

Most Philly fans are dummies and wouldn't know that Markakis is a better player....

much like yourself

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ask any Phillie fan if they would rather have Nick Markakis in the lineup during the WS over Jason Werth. That is all I am saying. Right now he is the better player.

Talk about stacking the deck in your favor. Should I ask health insurance companies if they prefer reform, too? Asking a Phillies fan to choose between Werth and Markakis isn't going to get you an unbiased response. Asking someone who isn't a fan of either team, however, will work.

I'm now convinced that you're just biased toward another team and its players. To find fault in the level of Markakis' play during his career is to have a narrow view. The dude has, for the most part, raked. I wouldn't trade any of the successful core guys on our team.

So now you want a quantification of something that can't really be quantified.

Being a better runner comes from observations. When he is on base, how does he read the ball off the bat? Can he go 1st to 3rd or home? Does he challenge OF'ers to get the ball into the infield quicker?

Without using the number of steals, how is Werth the vastly superior base runner?

He is faster, has longer legs, and takes bigger strides. The only advantage in baserunning NM has over Werth is he hits from the left side and is a step closer to first. Most knowledgeable baseball fans though would consider the measure of baserunning skills how many steals a player has and his percentage of being caught. In each category Werth is vastly superior to Markakis, but I guess you would only want to look at that if the stats were reversed eh?:laughlol:

He is faster, has longer legs, and takes bigger strides. The only advantage in baserunning NM has over Werth is he hits from the left side and is a step closer to first. Most knowledgeable baseball fans though would consider the measure of baserunning skills how many steals a player has and his percentage of being caught. In each category Werth is vastly superior to Markakis, but I guess you would only want to look at that if the stats were reversed eh?:laughlol:

Address Flacco and Jones...quit ducking.

Come out and defend your Flacco comments....or your Jones one...

What does Flacco have to do with Werth versus Markakis? Furthermore, I have already long, long, LONG ago corrected my view of Flacco. I was basing my judgment of him on watching only his worst college game of his career. I have seen more than enough of the body of work of Markakis and Werth to know which one I would prefer in my lineup during a WS.

Most Philly fans are dummies and wouldn't know that Markakis is a better player....

much like yourself

Actually the Phillies have so many players in their lineup that are better than Markakis he would be viewed as below average!:laughlol:

What does Flacco have to do with Werth versus Markakis? Furthermore, I have already long, long, LONG ago corrected my view of Flacco. I was basing my judgment of him on watching only his worst college game of his career. I have seen more than enough of the body of work of Markakis and Werth to know which one I would prefer in my lineup during a WS.

And Jones....?

It has to do with your credibility in making judgments....you make broad, sweeping, CONCRETE assertions based off of ONE game. That's the type of analysis you give. Then you want us to take you seriously.

I don't believe that you've seen much of Werth at all. In fact, I think it's safe to say that you have probably seen between 20-30 games of his in his whole career.

How is anyone supposed to take ANYTHING you say seriously...after reading the outlandish, unfounded claims you make....claims that when proven ridiculous you often hide from and ignore...

Again, speak to Jones.

You are correct that Werth is a better base-stealer than Markakis. Markakis has a 2.4 SB/CS rate (36/15) in the majors and a 2.7 SB/CS rate (27/10) in the minors. On the other hand, Werth has a 8.0 SB/CS rate (64/8) in the majors and a 4.4 SB/CS rate (123/28) in the minors. Statistics do not lie. I am not going to ignore what the statistics say in one category, even if they dont help my cause, and no, if the stats were reversed, I wouldn't be using them in my argument.

But as I said, stealing bases is not the only indicator of base-running skills. Like I said, there are many facets to baserunning which I detailed above.

Also, I am glad you got your daily snipe in at someone who doesn't agree with your opinion.

When have you watched Werth, especially long enough to draw a long term conclusion? The 9 Phillies games that have been on tv this month?

OldFan, you should dress up as Jayson Werth for Halloween. After you get the candy, you should take big, long strides to the next house.

If I was as young and handsome as Werth I would be striding over to some Sports Illustrated model's house for Halloween.:clap3::laughlol:

When have you watched Werth, especially long enough to draw a long term conclusion? The 9 Phillies games that have been on tv this month?

I also watched him last year. He is a darned good all around player. Tis a shame the Orioles had this guy in their system. Whoever drafted him at least got it right, which was rare for the Orioles back then.:(

I also watched him last year. He is a darned good all around player. Tis a shame the Orioles had this guy in their system. Whoever drafted him at least got it right, which was rare for the Orioles back then.:(

So you watched him for 9 games this year and and maybe 10-15 games last year....

Nice sample size. You should be a scout.

Archived