Orioles draft thread

Sports Guy

I heard the MLB analysts say that Rowell is a stubborn guy and he is insisting on at least starting out as a SS. He seems to be following in Cal's footsteps.

Adams is definitely a 2B type. With all these HSers, we could be looking for replacements for Tejada and Roberts instead of Mora.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a guess but maybe the Orioles feel that if he didn;t have the hamstring issues and if he hadn't left because of the hurricane, that the guy would have been a first rounder.

Perhaps their is just too much upside for us to have passed him up, despite the issues with him?

If that is the reason, i like it.

Why are you suggesting it won't last?

Because he hit .246 this year and has injury concerns.

Because his defensive game is better suited to 2B. EDIT: You know what, the more I read about him, the more I think I may be wrong, and that perhaps he will end up being a 3B. I was thinking his lack of range was going to be less of a factor than his weak arm, but he might not have enough range even to play 2B.

LaPorta has too much power potential to ignore at this point in the draft.

Well, I'm only reading so maybe I"m reading the wrong stuff. First I read the MLB scouting report which said he had the tools to play SS, suggesting that he's got enough arm for 3B. Then I read something that said he bulked up this year and lacked the ranger for the middle INF. All that would suggest 3B. Maybe you know something else?

See my edit to the post you quoted. My edit preceded your response. :)

All I've read and heard on him is that he has little range and a fairly weak arm. Maybe that ends up equating to a 3B, but it could also end up equating to a 2B. Or maybe he ends up as a converted 1B/Dh type. I don't really know what to make of him. Defensively, he doesn't seem like a very good prospect, but yoyu have to like his bat and plate discipline.

I would love to get that HS pitcher in the third round from New York(last name starts with a B). He has great size and his pure stuff was compared to Daniel Cabrera. In the spring, rivals.com had him going second overall in the draft which would mean he would have great value in the third and a potentil high ceiling.

Here's the skinny on Zachery Britton:

L-L. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 180. Birthdate: 12/22/87.

"After sitting at 86-87 mph in 2005, Britton's fastball shot up to 92-93 for much of this spring. He further helped his cause by outpitching the more ballyhooed Jordan Walden when scouts swarmed to their matchup in early April. Britton's velocity has tailed off slightly this spring, but his arm works well and he'll have a consistent plus fastball once he fills out. There's plenty of room to add strength to his athletic 6-foot-3, 180 pound frame. As he matures physically, he should add power to his curveball, which should become a solid-average pitch once he learns to stay on top of it better. Walden's delivery isn't deceptive, so refining a changeup to keep righthanders off balance will be important. Texas A&M did a nice job of identifying Britton's potential, but he started to achieve it so quickly that it's now unlikely he'll turn down pro ball for college."

Lars Anderson is still on the board. I wonder why is dropping?

Yeah, Dellin is the guy that I was thinking about. I wonder why he is falling in the draft? He supossily has outstanding stuff, has great size, and if I remember correctly put up great senior numbers. Anytime somebodies stuff in compared to Cabrera's then you have my attention. I would be thrilled if we could get him somehow.

I'm surprised we took Adams over King. King looked like the better pick.

I think King's injury problems scared a lot of teams off.

Anyone notice that we've now taken 3 HSers and a CC players? Not a single 3-year college player in 4 picks.

Here's the skinny on Zachery Britton:

L-L. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 180. Birthdate: 12/22/87.

"After sitting at 86-87 mph in 2005, Britton's fastball shot up to 92-93 for much of this spring. He further helped his cause by outpitching the more ballyhooed Jordan Walden when scouts swarmed to their matchup in early April. Britton's velocity has tailed off slightly this spring, but his arm works well and he'll have a consistent plus fastball once he fills out. There's plenty of room to add strength to his athletic 6-foot-3, 180 pound frame. As he matures physically, he should add power to his curveball, which should become a solid-average pitch once he learns to stay on top of it better. Walden's delivery isn't deceptive, so refining a changeup to keep righthanders off balance will be important. Texas A&M did a nice job of identifying Britton's potential, but he started to achieve it so quickly that it's now unlikely he'll turn down pro ball for college."

Lars Anderson is still on the board. I wonder why is dropping?

Anytime you see someone slipping, it usually means one of 2 things:

1) Injuries

2) Signability

Archived